Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with quitting smoking

So I finally got approved for surgery all test have been schedule and the coordinator said I might get an April date. But I am having a hard time quitting smoking, i started taking chantix and i am goin to buy the Patches too i just really really want to quit for the surgery yeah but also for my health. Any thoughts or ideas. I'm very scared of being denied for this nasty habit. HELP

Wellbutrin helped me immensely when I quit!

I quit 10 years ago using Chantix. I smoked the normal amount for the first 2 weeks, got down to one final cigarette and have never picked up one again. It was a little hard at first to break a 30 year smoking habit but not as hard as I anticipated. There is no real reason to use the Patches as well since the Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain.

3 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

I quit 10 years ago using Chantix. I smoked the normal amount for the first 2 weeks, got down to one final cigarette and have never picked up one again. It was a little hard at first to break a 30 year smoking habit but not as hard as I anticipated. There is no real reason to use the Patches as well since the Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain.

Did chantix help with the cravings I am on my second week of chantix and i feel nothing yet like the urge to smoke is still there. When does it start working

I also quit 10 years ago with Chantix. Took me 6 weeks on the medication. Took my husband only 4 weeks. I don't recall when the cravings stopped but I believe I had my last cigarette at the end of the 2nd week. A quick google search says people generally pick a quit day between 8 and 35 days after starting the medication. So it's different for everyone. I hope it kicks in soon for you.

34 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

Did chantix help with the cravings I am on my second week of chantix and i feel nothing yet like the urge to smoke is still there. When does it start working

I tried to go cold turkey 2 weeks before surgery.. during those two weeks I went out and had a couple of drinks and smoked .. I haven’t smoked ever since and it’s been a month and a week .. it was hard but not impossible.. I still crave it at times or when I’m stressed but it goes away .. my advice is to stay away from things that trigger you to want to smoke .. you got this!

1 hour ago, Daisy's said:

What I noticed was that the cigarette just tasted really bad and I did not feel the "hit" of the nicotine like I normally did. That in itself helped me not crave the cigarettes too much. I took the medication for almost 3 months total and stayed away from smoking situations for that time. Now, it still smells good to me if someone lights one up but I do not think I will ever smoke another one. It helped that I never smoked in the house or in my new car at the time, plus my husband does not smoke.

Good luck!!

I read somewhere that going to a sauna helps get the nicotine out of the system.

Well...I'm too having a horrible time quitting. May will be my last visit before they submit the authorization. Do they run a nicotine test? I'm freaking out cause I don't want anything to go wrong but it's been so hard. I've been smoking since I was 17 and basically for the past 5 yrs I've smoke a pack a day (I know, that's a lot and im only 37 , such a bad habbit :(.. I just want to make it out alive, anyone here did good after surgery without complications despite the fact of being a smoker before surgery?

Hi, in my country they do not ban the smoking... I smoke electronic cigarettes and did so before and after the surgery with no ill effects. Off course I would like to quit, but I feel I can not make 2 major changes in my life at once... Kudos to all of you that quitted!!!

They did check for nicotine in the blood before approval and before surgery. I used e-cigarettes and stepped down nicotine to zero and then just saw it as pointless after I kicked the nicotine part. Best of luck to you.