Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Sleeve vs MGB?

Please help my surgery is Monday and I am still unsure which procedure is better for me. I have a failed lapband, BMI of 33.2, CW 189. I read the forums how sleeve patients usually regain after years and go back for revision. However is MGB to invasive for my weight loss. I don’t want to lose to much. Please help me decide. More heads and opinions are better than one :)

Has your surgeon made a recommendation?

What is recommended definitely depends on your surgeon but mine said he usually suggests sleeve for patients with BMI under 40 and a bypass for those over. I’m over, so he thought the bypass would be the best option for me and I agreed. Scheduled for May

13 hours ago, CR0610 said:

Please help my surgery is Monday and I am still unsure which procedure is better for me. I have a failed lapband, BMI of 33.2, CW 189. I read the forums how sleeve patients usually regain after years and go back for revision. However is MGB to invasive for my weight loss. I don’t want to lose to much. Please help me decide. More heads and opinions are better than one :)

Revisions can happen with any type of surgery for many reasons.

Many of us with the sleeve have lost the weight and kept it off with no revision. I'm almost five years out I maintain in the 130's. Understand not many vets stay. Life becomes normal they maintain their weight and have no need for this site. You will meet mostly new people and people that gain.

What I wish people knew before choosing the sleeve:

If you have issues keeping on a diet plan and changing behaviors, I would look into another type of surgery

Sleeves usually can tolerate sugar no dumping syndrome because our intestines are not rerouted. If sugar is an weakness you may want to go for MGB

When you get to maintaining phase don’t think the work is over. Not everyone will gain. But if you don’t monitor your weight and diet it can turn into a 20, 60 100 pound gain.

This is what I see repeatedly with sleeve patient on this site: Frustrates me that they are not told this pre surgery.

Sleeve restriction becomes less as you progress out from surgery (your stomach is not back to full size) Our pouches are banana shape the other surgeries are egg shape. Just because you can consume more food does not mean you need to over eat. You can fill the space without going over your calories and macros

Many confuse less restriction with stretching (stretching is rare, have a surgeon diagnose it) Many eat around their surgery (you can eat around/graze any type of surgery ) Grazing is eating many smaller meals, healthy and unhealthy that total over your calories and macros. It’s the sensation of no restriction. It’s as if you never had surgery. You will gain weight.

Bariatric surgery is not the easy way out. Its far more than restriction. Its work.

4 hours ago, CR0610 said:

Thank u Healthy_life2 for the wealth of info :D what did you choose? We’re u over 40 BMI or under?

Starting I was 254 BMI. 42.3 Six month supervised pre surgery weight loss 234 (bmi 38.9) day of surgery.

My surgeon suggested the sleeve because I'm a type one diabetic. I still need to ingest sugar to raise my glucose levels. With the sleeve, I can do that without dumping syndrome.

Average Weight Loss Results MGB

On average, within the first 3 months after the surgery, patients lose about 30 percent of their excess body weight. Within a year, 60 to 75 percent of excess body weight is often gone. After 10 years, most patients still show a total weight loss of 70 percent of their excess body weight. Results depend upon the patient’s adherence to diet and lifestyle changes.

Average Weight Loss Results Sleeve

Individuals who have this surgery may lose up to 60 percent of their total body weight, sometimes even more, within two years. The likelihood of success greatly depends on the person’s adherence to lifestyle changes and eating habits.

https://www.ALM.com/gastric-sleeve-vs-mini-gastric-bypass/