Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... I've just come out of hospital after having a catheter ablation on my heart for some AFib / tachy arrhythmias... only time will tell if they've fixed the problem - my second ablation in 9 months.

Before I went in, I got to thinking that pickles would enhance my life - nice crunchy texture, nice piquant flavours - a good balance to Protein. Well they might have been mighty delish but the 30g (only 30 measly grams!!!) of mixed pickled veg that I ate with a piece of chicken breast increased my weight by 4lbs!! unbelievable!! And, it took me 4 days to start to lose it because weight never goes down fast - those 4lbs decided to hang around for a while, just for the hell of it!!... on the day of surgery, I was still carrying some of the extra weight from the pickle-day. And, of course, after surgery, I gained a further 5lbs of Water that was IV'd into me for the surgery!!! Not been a great week and a half, but I'm pleased to say that I'm on the way down again...

I hate that my body is so sensitive!! I hate that I don't really understand what works for me and what doesn't ... it's a complete mystery! I hate that it's one step forward and 5 steps back!! but, I don't hate my shrinking body shape!

Thank you guys for being on this amazing forum - you all are so wise, so knowledgeable, so full of relevant experiences and anecdotes!! :) 🤗

I don't think the pickles caused you to gain actual weight. It's likely that the high sodium content caused you to retain Water. Maybe try to find a low sodium variety but I don't think you need to avoid pickles altogether. Be sure to drink plenty of water to help flush it out. I know it sounds counter productive but it works.

I'm guessing it was the sodium in the pickles. They're notorious for high sodium, which makes you retain Water

I love pickles..I eat just a few here and there. The little tiny slices of dill pickles. I can't eat much yet anyway so a little goes a long way. But i do drink A LOT of Water every day to flush the sodium and in general it's good for us. Keep eating pickles ! :)

Well I would guess with A-fib, that you have issues with your heart pumping at its best, which means you would fight Fluid build up. So any amount of salt would cause fluid retention issues. And the IV that most would circulate out fairly quickly, takes you longer cuz of your heart and inefficient pumping. With pre-mature contraction you don't pump blood as efficiently out of your atria so there is a little regurgitation, etc. And it causes fluid to pool in distal tissues.

Get with your cardiologist for reqs on your diet/salt intake/minerals etc.

Glad you're back. We missed you!!! Hope this one is the fix for you. Tacchy is scary business!!!! ((hugs))

Dear FC... no one has explained that to me before! Thank you for the clarity- it certainly helps enormously!! 🤗

Yeah hon, I "think" for now pickles, salty foods, and processed foods are not your friends. Go back to eating your dense Protein and dense al dente veggies with a bit of healthy fats and a few nuts/seeds/and berries thrown in for fun here or there. I'd use raw, unsalted nuts and dry roast them yourself. You'll eat less and won't contend with the sodium. I don't know how to manage sodium stuff with heart probs. :(

I’m looking up recipes to pickle my own veg - I think that might be the solution - I hadn’t realised they are a minefield of not so good stuff... I happened upon this recipe - https://www.hackingsalt.com/making-salt-free-dill-pickles/#.XH_k5qSnwlQ

Oh wow! That looks very tasty. Try it and let us know!!!!!!

You know, this is a quick hack, but I just use unfiltered ACV (Braggs) sprinkled over sliced cucumbers/veg. Or I use Trappey's Pickled Pepper Vinegar (maybe too high sodium, haven't checked). I love em like that. So easy and quick and filling! I get more satiety with the peel on the cucs.

Sorry to ask... but would that be the same for artificial sweeteners? I have a little bottle of stevia liquid that I keep in my bag to plop into my unsweetened Decaf latte (thankfully coffee has no bad effect on me!) I’ve been moving away from Protein Drinks because of the artificial sweeteners and most are really high carb (I use Atkins shakes if I’m rushed and keep some Sanatogen Protein Powder in my bag to top up if necessary - it’s unsweetened - the bag is starting to look like the one Mary Poppins used)

Yes I love the peel on - makes cucumbers so much more substantial !

And I love ACV (although it’s the first time I’ve seen it shortened! Ha ha had to look it up to see what you were meaning - I always sprinkle a bit on anything and everything I can...

I don't know if the yeast need the sugar to ferment. You should drop him a line on his blog and ask if you can use stevia? Have no idea. But it would bother me to know I'm putting in 1tbsp of sugar into the brine. :(

Good point! I’ll blog him now...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches