Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid pre-op diet

Wow, I see a lot of people here saying that they only needed to do two weeks of pre-op diet. I’ve been told six weeks and I need to start with shakes only in a few weeks (surgery in May). And those 6 weeks plus the post-op liquid diet is a looong time with no solids. Damn!

It just depends on your doc & your starting weight.

I wasn’t told to do anything but a bowl prep the night before. I put Myself on a 2 week liquid diet.

I agree with @toodlerue. And yes it is a long time, I had 2 weeks +2 days, it was easy by the 4th day. It really prepares you for after surgery though. I think I would of had a hard time adjusting to liquids only after surgery had it not been for the liquid pre op diet.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

It totally depends on your doctor and your weight. I had to do a 2 week liquid diet, but I hadn’t gotten my surgery confirmation, so I wound up doing 9 days liquid only. I was honest with my doctor Because, 1. He would know if I lied or cheated, and 2. I wanted to make sure he understood that I knew I didn’t do what he asked. Thankfully it wasn’t an issue with my surgery, but if I were heavier and had other issues, it could have prevented me from having the surgery, or having it done in a more invasive way.

try your best to do what the doctor says. I lost a good hunk of weight and it forced me to be aware of when I was hungry or “full” which I think will help now that I’m post op bypass.

I'm on Day 3 of the Liquid Pre-op diet. Yesterday was a bit rough for a few hours, but today seems to be much better so far. My surgeon told me on Tuesday at my pre-op appointment that the first few days would be the worst and after that I would probably just be bored with consuming the same things everyday.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:12 AM, VeeAurora said:

Wow, I see a lot of people here saying that they only needed to do two weeks of pre-op diet. I’ve been told six weeks and I need to start with shakes only in a few weeks (surgery in May). And those 6 weeks plus the post-op liquid diet is a looong time with no solids. Damn!

Maybe the doctor also takes our weight in consideration. My start weight was 228. My doctor wanted me on the liquid diet 2 weeks prior. Also I can eat chicken breast or lean fish and veggies at night. Even that was impossible to follow. It was horrible. I lost 15 pounds. My doctor's main objective was to reduce my liver. I thought it was bogus that he wouldn't continue the surgery if the liver was enlarged, until I started googling about it. Good Luck. Stick with it. You got this Vee.