Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I am scheduled to have my gastric bypass on March 19. I am trying to be as prepared as much as possible. What are somethings that you wish you would of had after surgery when you returned home or what were somethings that you were glad you thought of beforehand? I’ve already stocked up on food and Protein Drinks that I can have after surgery.

Hi! I was thankful that i cleaned thoroughly and placed everything i needed at eye level and standing level. No bending, over extension or excessive reaching necessary.

Honestly, I still have half the crap I purchased. (broth, Jello, pudding, shakes)....that's really all I bought but I didn't use much of it. The broth I will use for cooking and the jello and pudding boxes are still there. The shakes I drink as needed but I am leaning towards Protein Water more these days. liquid tylenol was the #1 thing I needed and I am glad I stocked up! I used that instead of the pain meds the doctor sent me home with and it worked great. I also second cleaning and organizing what you can.

The first few days home after surgery can be a little rough when it comes to bedtime and sleeping. Many people sleep on a recliner during the first couple days.

Swallowing Vitamin can be difficult at first, so it might be wise to have a pill crusher or pill splitter handy.

A complete set of measuring spoons.

Your taste buds may change after surgery. So what you find agreeable may taste simple awful after surgery. So it is good to have a variety pack of various Protein Shakes to try until you can downselect a type you like. Sometimes you can find these sample packs at places like GNC or over the internet. I made my own Protein shakes from powder. One needs a blender such as a Ninja blender to do this effectively.

They give me a small plastic spoon when I left the hospital. I do not like plastic but I searched around and found one that was the same size as the plastic spoon and I use that even today when I eat.

Most food that you buy in preparation for the surgery will go to waste.

Buy some crystal light to make the fluids go down easier. Also frozen sugar free popsicles are really good during the first month after surgery.

The hospital gave me a reacher grabber thingy. I used that thing more than I ever thought I would to avoid bending down to pick up things, help get dressed, etc. Worth getting one if you don’t get in the hospital!

I cleaned my whole house and had all laundry caught-up before surgery so that I wouldn't have to worry about anything for a couple of weeks afterward. I stocked up on bottled sugar-free iced tea, sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free pudding, and Protein Shakes.

I am making sure that laundry is done as that will be the most difficult task for me. I may need to switch bedroom with one of my kids since my bed is super high as it might be difficult getting in and out.

Anyone else had that issue.

I'm so glad I had a shower chair. Taking a shower was exhausting. Have a reacher was a God sent. Good luck and God bless on your surgery.⁰ ~Carmen

I cleaned my house really good the weekend before.
I froze some Soups that i thought I would like in 1/2 cup containers.

I made the mistake of stocking up on SF Jello.....since the surgery, I can not stand the taste of it.

On 03/05/2019 at 10:46, SusieQ2019 said:

I am making sure that laundry is done as that will be the most difficult task for me. I may need to switch bedroom with one of my kids since my bed is super high as it might be difficult getting in and out.

Anyone else had that issue.

Could you try a little step stool next to your bed?

All great tips and I wished I had thought about the grabber thing!

Thank you @DanaC84!

A step stool is a great idea. I will be purchasing one.

A wedge pillow was great the first few nights home. Couldn’t really sleep comfortably flat on my back when I got home, so having the wedge pillow really helped.

Adding clean sheets to the bed! (Mind you they had to be changed afterwards)... so having a PAD on the bed [emoji23]🤣[emoji23]
I second this! Put a pad or thick towel on the mattress then some clean but old sheets you don't mind throwing out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app