Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

21 hours ago, S@ssen@ch said:

Well, the recovery from band vs sleeve was a bit more difficult for me. BUT, I was 12 years older! Plus, I had a rough start in the hospital. #1-the scar tissue from the sleeve made my surgery more complicated and #2-they gave me too much pain medication in recovery and turned me into a zombie for more than 12 hours. So, I'm not sure I'm the best resource for immediate post-op recovery.

I can tell you the difference between living with the sleeve vs the band. I have had much more effective restriction with the sleeve. I mean, I have pretty hard-stops when it comes to eating. Nothing painful, just "if I eat one more bite, I will regret it" kind of thing. Never really had that with the band. Not that I could eat full size portions or anything, it was just much more subtle.

Hi and thank you for your replies .

3 hours ago, MIKE P said:

I had the surgery on a Wednesday, come home on Thursday then was at home resting until Monday. Monday went into work for a half day and went home (I was tired). I have been to work every day since then. The toughest part was having my wife drive me for the week until i had my post op meeting with the doctor to be released to drive. My job is a desk job that is sedentary, but we are familiar with the surgery in our office as there are four of us that have had the surgery on Wednesday or Tuesday and all came back to work after the weekend. Working is better than sitting around waiting to go back to work and anyone with concerns on how it appears to others, being off a short time will soon be forgotten.

good luck I hope all goes well

Hi thank you for your reply I'm still struggling to navigate this site well ,

I have a desk job too so I'm hoping I'll be able to get back early to avoid any questions .. I love my colleagues but I'm not happy to share this part of my life with them. You're lucky to have someone to go through it with , that must be lovely .

21 hours ago, S@ssen@ch said:

Well, the recovery from band vs sleeve was a bit more difficult for me. BUT, I was 12 years older! Plus, I had a rough start in the hospital. #1-the scar tissue from the sleeve made my surgery more complicated and #2-they gave me too much pain medication in recovery and turned me into a zombie for more than 12 hours. So, I'm not sure I'm the best resource for immediate post-op recovery.

I can tell you the difference between living with the sleeve vs the band. I have had much more effective restriction with the sleeve. I mean, I have pretty hard-stops when it comes to eating. Nothing painful, just "if I eat one more bite, I will regret it" kind of thing. Never really had that with the band. Not that I could eat full size portions or anything, it was just much more subtle.

Just now, Feelinghopefulnow said:

Oh no , definately not the best start for you .. im sure yiu wer glad when you eventually started to feel normal agin althiughnim suremthat was in quite a while

I had a band removed january 2018 so im hoping not too much scar tissue has developed in this last 14 months ,,, fingers crossed and praying that they will be able to the revision for me

On 03/04/2019 at 09:34, MIKE P said:

I had the surgery on a Wednesday, come home on Thursday then was at home resting until Monday. Monday went into work for a half day and went home (I was tired). I have been to work every day since then. The toughest part was having my wife drive me for the week until i had my post op meeting with the doctor to be released to drive. My job is a desk job that is sedentary, but we are familiar with the surgery in our office as there are four of us that have had the surgery on Wednesday or Tuesday and all came back to work after the weekend. Working is better than sitting around waiting to go back to work and anyone with concerns on how it appears to others, being off a short time will soon be forgotten.

good luck I hope all goes well

Wow! 3 or 4 coworkers all at the same time? That will be awesome for you to support each other as you move forward. Order one thing for lunch and all split it 😂

On 03/04/2019 at 13:58, Feelinghopefulnow said:

Hi @missranger Thank you for your reply .. it's clearly doable then to go back to work that soon ... that's good to know . I have a desk job so not at all strenuous . Im the same as you as in im quite private and my business my own that's amazing that you're doing so well and only 12 days post op . Really pleased its going so well for you . How much weight have you lost and how are you managing with all liquids ?

Down 8lbs since surgery and 22lbs total since pre op diet. I picked up 4lbs coming out of surgery from all the liquids and swelling. Don’t be alarmed if this happens. It came right back off. Liquids were a struggle the first two days. My stomach felt like it couldn’t fit it all in. Using a 32 oz Nalgene water bottle now that has tick marks at every 2 oz. I find it easier to get it all down when I can see exactly where I’m at and how much I have to go. Still no hunger.. yayy! Wishing you the best of luck!

another coworker had her surgery two days after me as well so it has been great for us to go thru this together.

Okay so I have a job that is fairly physically demanding. I’m on my feet and moving quickly from the moment I arrive to after when I’m supposed to get off because we never have time to get stuff done so we’re always working at least 30-60 minutes extra unpaid every day.
Oh yes and our shifts run between 10-12 hours. There are zero options to work a half day and the only time I ever get to sit would be when I sprint across my store to try to take a 30 second bathroom break. No breaks, no lunches. If you want or need to eat, you better do it while you’re multi-tasking doing 3 other things.
That being said, all I needed was 2&1/2 weeks off work because I needed to make sure I could make the transition between liquids and solids before I felt “safe” to go back.
I was surprised at how easily I was able to immediately transition back to 10 plus hour shifts on my first week back, but I knew that the only way to succeed at this was to let my coworkers know exactly why I need to be uninterrupted for 5-10 minutes to finish a boiled egg.
Since I can no longer wolf down a sandwich in under 1 minute in 3 bites anymore, it was important they know why I’ve now become such a “needy eater”

21 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay so I have a job that is fairly physically demanding. I’m on my feet and moving quickly from the moment I arrive to after when I’m supposed to get off because we never have time to get stuff done so we’re always working at least 30-60 minutes extra unpaid every day.
Oh yes and our shifts run between 10-12 hours. There are zero options to work a half day and the only time I ever get to sit would be when I sprint across my store to try to take a 30 second bathroom break. No breaks, no lunches. If you want or need to eat, you better do it while you’re multi-tasking doing 3 other things.
That being said, all I needed was 2&1/2 weeks off work because I needed to make sure I could make the transition between liquids and solids before I felt “safe” to go back.
I was surprised at how easily I was able to immediately transition back to 10 plus hour shifts on my first week back, but I knew that the only way to succeed at this was to let my coworkers know exactly why I need to be uninterrupted for 5-10 minutes to finish a boiled egg.
Since I can no longer wolf down a sandwich in under 1 minute in 3 bites anymore, it was important they know why I’ve now become such a “needy eater”

Thanks for the reply. Wow that’s amazing how quick you recovered I’m hoping the same for me. And no one will need know anything

I eat at my desk or go fir a walk so no questions will be asked.

I went back exactly a week later. That was fine for me :) :) Just keep Advil on you and bring pudding/yogurt with you to munch on

37 minutes ago, jultrim18 said:

I went back exactly a week later. That was fine for me :) :) Just keep Advil on you and bring pudding/yogurt with you to munch on

Hi thanks for posting

Is Advil like ibuprofen

i cant take anti inflammatory meds

you did well to go back so soon too

On 3/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, Feelinghopefulnow said:

Hi everyone , I'm not telling anyone about my surgery (sleeve being done 20th March) they wouldn't understand to be honest

Work will be told its a hernia or scar tissue adhesions from a bad fall I had two years ago .... that did actually happen so they know I'm hurting from that still . I was wondering if anyone went back to work relatively quickly after the op. if so how did you manage . I dont have anyone close to share this with other than my daughter who doesn't live close so I'll be going through it on my own. So any advise or support would be gratefulgratefully received.

My work was the only one aware of what was happening. (I work as an Assistant Manager in a retail store) I was told I would be out for two weeks and the doctor pushed it to four at my 2 week post-op check up because I had a hard time keeping food down and they were worried about me going back to being on my feet 8 hours a day.

13 minutes ago, zombieskayer said:

My work was the only one aware of what was happening. (I work as an Assistant Manager in a retail store) I was told I would be out for two weeks and the doctor pushed it to four at my 2 week post-op check up because I had a hard time keeping food down and they were worried about me going back to being on my feet 8 hours a day.

Hi thanks for replying , oh so you were well rested then.. how are things now for you ? @zombieskayer its not that long since your op is it ? I'm praying things will go smoothly for me

9 hours ago, young2017 said:

I had my sleeve done on a Thursday and went back to work the following Monday. I was extremely week though and had to sit a lot.

I’m having mine on Thursday as well and plan on going back to work on Monday. I was worried if that was going to be enough time.