Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fueling for a half marathon post bariatric surgery

Hey everyone!

I do a half marathon every April, walking most of it. I've just had a RNYGB and although my surgeon has given me the green light to do the half marathon (six weeks post surgery) I'm concerned about fueling options as I suspect sugary fuels are likely to cause dumping...

Does anyone have any experience with endurance events post-surgery or good portable food suggestions given the constraints of our procedures?

1 hour ago, skyguy747 said:

Hey everyone!

I do a half marathon every April, walking most of it. I've just had a RNYGB and although my surgeon has given me the green light to do the half marathon (six weeks post surgery) I'm concerned about fueling options as I suspect sugary fuels are likely to cause dumping...

Does anyone have any experience with endurance events post-surgery or good portable food suggestions given the constraints of our procedures?

Wohoo! a fellow runner. Understand you are going to get way too much info from me. I am so excited for you. The last thing you want is to find porta potties on the route because your stomach is upside down (Yes. I have been there) Do not do sugar running gels. They hand out full sugar gator aid on the route.... do not drink it..lol

Fueling is going to be trial and error to find what works for you. Things to try

Pre-race taper:

http://www.teamhotshot.com/blog/tips-taper-race-day/

How much carb load do you need? Its going to depend if you’re walking or running.

I carb load with my Protein for seven days on my pre-race taper. With our stomachs, it takes several meals spread out for each day to consume the fuel you need for the race (Again, no sugar)

Find a good running hydration vest I cannot gulp the Water from Styrofoam cups that they hand out along the routes. The running vests have pockets to carry car keys, ID, debit cards and food.

https://www.amazon.com/LANZON-Hydration-Marathon-Leak-Proof-Reservoir/dp/B075QHF9KK

Food along routes:

If you can tolerate food that’s great. Meal bars, bananas or hard-boiled eggs- Things that fit in your vest- My stomach cannot tolerate the above – I had to find what works for me.

liquid carb’s: powder form.

https://www.amazon.com/Cytosport-Cytocarb-II-1-98-powder/dp/B000ZER1TO/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=153663361878&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1016202&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4380164672213505228&hvtargid=aud-648454669636%3Akwd-1059092411&keywords=cytocarb&qid=1551630585&s=gateway&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

For me the pre-race taper carb load and glycogen stores carry me through a race. . I add liquid carbs in my water in my vest. I drink them driving to the race and along the route. It gives me the carbs, calories and hydration to sustain me. I carry extra powder carbs in a zip lock bag and add more when I refill water at stations along the route

dehydration: I use Nuun tabs. I also add them in my running vest. Easy to carry.

https://nuunlife.com/

Don’t knock this. Baby food pouches. Some runners make their own mix. ( read lables for sugar)

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/baby-food-pouches

https://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/homemade-baby-food-pouches/

Forgot to mention.

I run 5K to 10K without carb loading- If you are in weight loss mode//walking, Be careful of carbs. they can slow/sop your weight loss.

Thank you so so much for this great info!!

It's funny, because of my weight I'd never considered myself a 'runner', but 9 years ago I met (and married) an ironman athlete and have since done three full marathons and six halfs. Walking, mostly. Then in the pre-op butterflies my biggest fear surprised me: "what if I can't do races anymore!" I guess I am a runner. lol

I'm looking forward to the day I can actually run from start to finish!

You're right about carbs stopping weight loss - I though marathon training was going to be my salvation but throughout 2011 I trained religiously for my first full marathon (Chicago) and didn't lose an ounce lol.

Thank you again for your detailed guidance - much appreciated!

24 minutes ago, skyguy747 said:

Thank you so so much for this great info!!

It's funny, because of my weight I'd never considered myself a 'runner', but 9 years ago I met (and married) an ironman athlete and have since done three full marathons and six halfs. Walking, mostly. Then in the pre-op butterflies my biggest fear surprised me: "what if I can't do races anymore!" I guess I am a runner. lol

I'm looking forward to the day I can actually run from start to finish!

You're right about carbs stopping weight loss - I though marathon training was going to be my salvation but throughout 2011 I trained religiously for my first full marathon (Chicago) and didn't lose an ounce lol.

Thank you again for your detailed guidance - much appreciated!

Congrats on your surgery.

I had other bariatric runners help me out along the way. Keep us posted on your weight loss and running.

I am running my first half marathon in two weeks, and have been training for a little over two months now. Yesterday finished our last long run of 12 miles and took some Stinger chews (luckily for me, nothing I've tried yet turns my stomach). I also plan to have my pack on with Water and some liquid carbs, along with a Protein Bar. I plan to water down the gatorade with some water at the aid stations, or just might pack a bottle with me to save some time and energy. Hard to believe I've gone from 347 to 173...and a spectator at the finish line to participant. Best of luck to you on your journey!

4 hours ago, MG1776 said:

I am running my first half marathon in two weeks, and have been training for a little over two months now. Yesterday finished our last long run of 12 miles and took some Stinger chews (luckily for me, nothing I've tried yet turns my stomach). I also plan to have my pack on with Water and some liquid carbs, along with a Protein Bar. I plan to Water down the gatorade with some water at the aid stations, or just might pack a bottle with me to save some time and energy. Hard to believe I've gone from 347 to 173...and a spectator at the finish line to participant. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Your loss is fantastic. 347 to 173. Wish you the best on your first half marathon in two weeks. What an amazing feeling, Right?

We need a bariatric distance runner’s thread. I would love to see peoples finish line photos and find out about other races in other areas.

I have bucket list runs I want to do before I’m too old to keep doing this..lol - I’m running Mt. Charleston in Las Vegas in April. This is my first out of state run.

18 hours ago, MG1776 said:

I am running my first half marathon in two weeks, and have been training for a little over two months now.

Congrats! Please let us know how you enjoy the event!

Try not to get caught up in the excitement at the start and run at a faster pace than you've been training! My PR for 5k is still the first 5k of the Chicago marathon... burned through a ton of energy and had a great time with the crowd, but it made for a very long marathon lol.

Those are good tips. I am going to put some of them to use for a Goruck.com event.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

That is awesome! You're a rock star!

I finished my first half marathon yesterday! Finished in 2:12. Had two packages of Stingers chews, Water, and nuun for hydration. I'm glad it's over as my hips and right knee are mad at me today! It was a beautiful day, and I was able to run with my wife, so it couldn't have gone better

Shamrock.jpg

On 3/19/2019 at 7:10 AM, MG1776 said:

I finished my first half marathon yesterday! Finished in 2:12. Had two packages of Stingers chews, Water, and nuun for hydration. I'm glad it's over as my hips and right knee are mad at me today! It was a beautiful day, and I was able to run with my wife, so it couldn't have gone better

Shamrock.jpg

Very very cool! I'm 6 months post vsg, 30kg down and so happy to be back into training - photos like yours keep me feeling inspired 😁

I am running my first half marathon in two weeks, and have been training for a little over two months now. Yesterday finished our last long run of 12 miles and took some Stinger chews (luckily for me, nothing I've tried yet turns my stomach). I also plan to have my pack on with Water and some liquid carbs, along with a Protein bar. I plan to water down the gatorade with some water at the aid stations, or just might pack a bottle with me to save some time and energy. Hard to believe I've gone from 347 to 173...and a spectator at the finish line to participant. Best of luck to you on your journey!
Congratulations

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Your loss is fantastic. 347 to 173. Wish you the best on your first half marathon in two weeks. What an amazing feeling, Right?
We need a bariatric distance runner’s thread. I would love to see peoples finish line photos and find out about other races in other areas.
I have bucket list runs I want to do before I’m too old to keep doing this..lol - I’m running Mt. Charleston in Las Vegas in April. This is my first out of state run.
Agree

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app