Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning a workout after post op

Just got the ok to work out from my surgeon today. I am still having pain from surgery. I am only 10 days out of surgery. What are some good exercise to start with?

No specification of what type of exercise? Regardless, 10 days would rule Water based activities, I assume your incisions haven't healed yet? Also you wouldn't want to extend/stretch out your torso with wounds as well as stomach still healing. I would keep it simple for a few weeks. Walking...with perhaps some exercise bike if you have one. You aren't getting much nutrition just yet go gentle/easy until you are consuming more.

I would save the gym/weights training for about five to six weeks out.

Stick to walking like on the treadmill or riding a stationary bike for now. It's too early to lift weights or use resistance machines.

at that point I was just walking. At about four weeks out, I could do pretty much anything except weights. I think i had to wait 'til about eight weeks out for those.

I started walking on my treadmill 3 days post-op.
Now that was at an extremely low pace and I started with just 20 minutes and worked myself up to an hour at a time within a couple of weeks.
I’m still only 24 days post-op, but I signed up for Pilates class yesterday and the instructors are going to work with me until my core is stronger so there are many work arounds as you build strength.
One thing I’m going to avoid for the rest of my life is anything resembling HIIT as there are some exercise physiologists and docs who think that HIIT can actually cause fat storage in people who are genetic “storers”.

All I know is that anytime in the past that I tried HIIT, I would get ravenously hungry and eventually would overeat so this time around I’m not going to try it again.

All great advise here! I’d stick to walking or stationery bike. Don’t make the mistake I did. We had awful below zero weather In January here and I was getting frustrated so I tried my resistance bands thinking I’d just do arms and legs. Worse mistake ever!! It set me back to how I felt the first week post op and took a good 5 days to recover. Thank God I didn’t do any long term damage and I felt absolutely NO discomfort while doing it or obviously I would’ve stopped.

I had my sleeve1/21/19. I have been working out since the 2nd day after surgery. Treadmill and stationary bike. I am 5 weeks out down 38lbs. I was 293 at Surgery, I am 255 today. Saw Surgeon Thursday he was ecstatic with my progress. Anyone who is negative about the process I just shut them out. Stalling for a little bit is normal. I did for a week. No complications at all. No nausea or vomiting either. THE EXERCISE SPEEDS UP THE WEIGHT LOSS!!! I am starting swimming today.

What kid of exercise would you like to eventually do? And have you been doing that before? Lifting weights does not juggle your body a lot, unless you are doing certain ones that really push your core like dead lifts.

I would say you can start to lift weights, low weight, and work up. I can sit at a chest press, shoulder press, incline press, tricep and machines and dumbbells, and a dozen more and have my entire upper body still. Some weight lifting where you bend might not be good yet, I would not do abdominals, back extensions or rotations yet.

You will need to do weights to maintain some muscle and muscle tone. Get cardio in when you can. After my surgery I trained for a 5k, but waited about 2 - 2.5 months before I actually jogged. I suggest training for a 5k run. It's free, and you can do it anytime at anyplace with the right clothes. But, in order to do a 5k, you'll need to walk it at minimum..... So like everyone else has suggested, get walking, and walk often.

The best motivation I found for going to the gym, and doing my 5k's for the cardio is not to loose weight. I don't go to the gym or run to loose weight. I got myself involved in activities where going to the gym supports them. I am training for a goruck.com event, firefighter training, and I joined a international sword fighting league or sorts, Historical European Martial Arts. So, I go to the gym to support those activities. Everytime I go to the gym, I know I am working on a type 2 twitch muscle Fiber for a faster sword block/parry or a stronger sword strike, I'll be able to do more push ups at the goruck.com event and I'll be able to pull hoses faster and when I run, I know I am pushing my cardio to loose more weight make everything easier and to givem myself more endurance. I suggest you find a reason to go to the gym or do cardio, because doing it to loose weight gets boring real.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

I want to work out, but feel so tired after work, and I get up so early to go to work.. ugh I know it sounds like excuses...

I need inspiration, motivation and ideas, please!

I joined up at a Pilates studio and I’m loving it! Fortunately their class schedule is super flexible because some weeks I work early and some weeks I work late.
I’ve let my instructors know my core is weak from surgery and they’re good about keeping that in mind.
Just today I was finally able to do planks on the box and my instructor cheered me on!
Love how relaxed and confident I feel after a class now

Yipes. I was told no exercise for 6 weeks. I would just start off walking 15 minutes at a time, twice a day. I wasn't cleared for anything more intense than walking/jogging until 12 weeks. If you're still having pain, I wouldn't start exercise yet - let your body heal. Diet is the most important; you can incorporate much more exercise in a few weeks.