Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had surgery 10 days ago. We have a scheduled trip at 4.5 weeks post op. It includes a day at an amusement park and the beach. I am guessing I wont get into the ocean past my knees which is fine and I wont do any roller coaster rides etc. My husband is worried I wont be able to eat, will get dehydrated etc and wants to cancel.

How hard is it to find and eat soft foods when out and about? The thing that worries me is trying a new fish etc for the first time at a restaurant. I know I can take shakes with me and have yogurt and feel safe with that so far.

Just now, 2Bsmaller18 said:

So I had surgery 10 days ago. We have a scheduled trip at 4.5 weeks post op. It includes a day at an amusement park and the beach. I am guessing I wont get into the ocean past my knees which is fine and I wont do any roller coaster rides etc. My husband is worried I wont be able to eat, will get dehydrated etc and wants to cancel.

How hard is it to find and eat soft foods when out and about? The thing that worries me is trying a new fish etc for the first time at a restaurant. I know I can take shakes with me and have yogurt and feel safe with that so far.

I am 4 weeks post op...eating soft foods and drinking fine. By Soft I mean...yogurt, cottage cheese, ground meats, fish. I have tried recently - a few bites of chicken breast that was not dry- was fine ...a homemade cheeseburger (was also fine)- no bun of course and ate it for two meals and still tossed some. And I am to eat soft veggies but i dont have room for them most meals...I supplement with one Protein Shake IF i have not met my Protein goals. I also eat string cheese and some other things per my plan. I haven't gone out to a restaurant yet but I could and feel comfortable if i had to right now. Just watch sugars, butters, etc....and customize things. That being said you have to check where you will be on your plan at 4.5 weeks.....

I would be totally fine walking around at a park and the beach. I would likely be tired from the amusement park earlier than everyone else but I have no issues drinking Water. I get around 100 ounces a day now- but would like to get a bit more. Check with your team but I think you will be fine as long as things are going well.

Best of luck!

Taco Bell... They do refried Beans with cheese on top. You can add some guac on the side. That'll fill you up!

Panera do Soups

oatmeal with splenda or sugar free maple Syrup

Just keep everything small portions. Maybe take a small 2oz container so that you can see how much you need.

p.s. I wouldn't try any new foods when you are out and about... Stick with something you know.

Edited by froufrou

You will be fine. Just listen carefully to your stomach. It will tell you when you are full. Keep water bottle with you. Soup's were the best for me at that time. Set the timer on your Baritastic App for reminders. Keep Snacks on hand for the in between times when things run longer than excepted. The walking will be good for you also. Have Fun!!

On 3/2/2019 at 1:39 AM, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Take plenty of Water and you can prepare all your meals and put the in handy airtight containers also order the very small entree only or share a meal with your husband like if you're only on soft foods just take nibbles off his plate or tell him to avoid restaurant if you're unsure he will have to learn to accommodate his healthy new wife

On 3/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Lots of yogurt and lactose free milk! hard boil eggs as well. Premier Protein bars are good too

Those packs of unsweetened applesauce would be good to keep on you for a snack. The squeeze ones.