Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else do a Barium Swallow before Surgery??

Did anyone else do a Barium Swallow before Surgery??

I after only 15 weeks with the band I had it removed on Tuesday the 13th November due to two things, my oesphagus was contracting and the band had slipped. I am not sure if they are related but I was not eating at all and throwing all the time.

Can anyone help with this question as I am very disappointed in the band process and now the doc is looking at more severe options. Not once was I asked to do a Xray before surgery I was asked if I got reflux. Any Ideas?????

Jo

I had to do an Upper GI last week preop, which includes esophagus and swallowing in the study. (I'm an x-ray tech as well).

Upper GI and US of the gallbladder are required pre-op tests of my surgeon.

Haven't been banded yet so that is all I can help with but I hope it all works out for you.

Yes I had to have it done before surgery and had to also do it again before I could leave hospital after surgery. It's my understanding that it's required to make sure you are able to have surgery, and that you can swallow liquid after surgery.

Ihad to do the upper GI before surgery and did not have to after surgery.

I have GERD and my surgeon said that the band would help this problem I have had no problems swallowing since my surgery, and so far am able to eat just fine.

I had to do a Barium Swallow and x-ray after surgery to make sure the band was in the right place and that liquid could go through.

Before surgery, I had an EGD (where they put the camera down your throat) and I see many people mention they had to have the upper GI done.

I don't think either BEFORE surgery would have shown the esophagus spasms though. Right? In some people, isn't that an unfortunate reaction to the band?

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you.

PRE-OP

• Monometry Test = Procedure involves inserting a flexible tube down your nose and into your esophagus. You are fully awake and swallow several sips of Water. Not a required pre-op procedure, but ensures the esophagus is normal at the gate should problems arise down the road.
  • Ulcer Test = Just a simple blood test to ensure I did not have any ulcers in my stomach. If ulcers are present, I understand they do not prevent the lap-band procedure, but just alert the docs that ulcers need to be treated post-surgery.
  • Upper GI Contrast Swallow = required for my pre-op where a drink is swallowed and several x-rays are taken to reveal the precise anatomical makeup of the mid-section. This test took over 30 min.

POST-OP

• Barium Swallow = before I could leave the hospital, I had to undergo this test which ensures swallowing function is intact and the band is in place. Done drinking a liquid under x-ray. Felt similar to the Upper GI test, but was only about 5 min.