Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know I'm not being impulsive?

By nature, I'm a fairly impulsive person. I decided to look into bariatric surgery after seeing the gastric balloon on Instagram about 3 days ago, from there I went down a rabbit hole of research and decided if it went down a bariatric road, then the sleeve seemed to suit me most. I'm now looking at clinics and checking procedures, reviews, surgeons etc it's only been a few days and I'm fairly sure I've made up my mind I want this done.

(I'd dismissed it the past as my best friend, sister-in-law, mom and nan all had problems with lap band surgeries, now I know the differences between surgeries)

How long did you research WLS before you decided you were definitely going to go for it? Are there any specifics you'd suggest really looking in to?

Oh, that has easily been a year. or more. I did my share of research, decided to wait and try with weight watchers (again) for at least 6 months. But once the decision was made it was a no-doubt one.

I would seriously suggest to take a couple of weeks, see how it feels for you. Ask around, read up, listen to your heart. It is a irrevocable procedure, and also a life changing one. Are you willing to give up old habits? Do you really feel okay with no more carbonated drinks, careful with what you put in your mouth, never have drinks with your food and so on. You really need that determination, it is not an easy process and there WILL be bumps in the road. Some people have life long problems, others go through it like a breeze, but you will never be the same anymore, that is for sure.

Then again, if the decision clicks, and you are no longer in doubt, I would say go for it, and don't forget to enjoy the ride!

It doesn't seem like you're being impulsive. You're doing your research. Joining this forum and hopefully others will give you a good idea of people's experiences and not just the clinical information. Most bariatric programs and insurance companies make it a 3-6 month program so that people aren't getting the surgery impulsively anyway. (At least, American ones, I guess I can't speak to how it works in the UK)

I had made up my mind but still had a year to really think about it and process it .. I did so much research and watched so many videos .. but luckily I definitely decided to do it .. nothing is more important than ones health.. it does take a real life style change, have to be determined, and very much will power .. its a challenge and it’s hard but its all so worth it !! The best decision I did for my health

How long have you been overweight? Have you attempted weight loss many times before and failed? If you haven't been overweight for long and haven't really attempted weight loss I would say yes impulsive.

Nothing wrong with making up your mind quickly as to want you want, but do make sure your research and then research some more. Make sure you know exactly what you are up against, the risks, the complications, the failure rates, the pain, the stalls, possibly a life time of Vitamin supplementation, what options you have for a revision if needed, what WLS is best for you and importantly, the benefits too.

I've never been slim. I come from a line of morbidly obese women, been on diets since I was 13. I've lost and gained the same 3-6stone countless times for 15 years. Slimming world, weight watchers, cabbage Soup, cider vinegar, slim fast, Cambridge, slim and save, Keto, lchf, starving, fasting, bulimia, fad diet pills, -you name it, in the last 20 years, ive tried it!!! 🤣 Last year I've stuck religiously to slimming world and the gym only to maintain, I'm defeated. 😞

@Xapphirea I hate fizzy drinks and struggle to drink much throughout the day so the fact that those are a necessity is actually a bit of a relief! :)

I'm in the UK so woukd have to pay for my surgery. I've found a clinic that really stands out to me, in Latvia. I just looked and from the moment they ok you, and see if you're suitable, they aim to get you over within 2-3 weeks! Fortunately, I still need to save a big chunk of money before i can commit to anything anyway so itd be a good few months before i could book.

I feel mostly excited about the prospect of doing this. Id do it tomorrow lol but I need to sir with the idea and broach the subject with my husband.

I'm going to Rome with a budget airline on March 31st, I think squeezing my backside into those plane seats will make my mind up so thay gives me a month to process.

1 hour ago, 2shea said:

Nothing wrong with making up your mind quickly as to want you want, but do make sure your research and then research some more. Make sure you know exactly what you are up against, the risks, the complications, the failure rates, the pain, the stalls, possibly a life time of Vitamin supplementation, what options you have for a revision if needed, what WLS is best for you and importantly, the benefits too.

I've not looked into failure rates or revision posibities yet so I'll hit the studies for that.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Pippa1703 said:

By nature, I'm a fairly impulsive person. I decided to look into bariatric surgery after seeing the gastric balloon on Instagram about 3 days ago, from there I went down a rabbit hole of research and decided if it went down a bariatric road, then the sleeve seemed to suit me most. I'm now looking at clinics and checking procedures, reviews, surgeons etc it's only been a few days and I'm fairly sure I've made up my mind I want this done.

(I'd dismissed it the past as my best friend, sister-in-law, mom and nan all had problems with lap band surgeries, now I know the differences between surgeries)

How long did you research WLS before you decided you were definitely going to go for it? Are there any specifics you'd suggest really looking in to?

Still researching about 6 months but pretty made up my mind with the RNY bypass.

There's plenty of information but they say if you need to lose more than 100lbs bypass is best it may be more restrictive in ways.

And yes lapband has been known to have issues over the years..

Just keep doing your research

8 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

It doesn't seem like you're being impulsive. You're doing your research. Joining this forum and hopefully others will give you a good idea of people's experiences and not just the clinical information. Most bariatric programs and insurance companies make it a 3-6 month program so that people aren't getting the surgery impulsively anyway. (At least, American ones, I guess I can't speak to how it works in the UK)

Yep, I had to go thru a 6 month supervised diet with my primary before I could be approved. plenty of time to think it over lol

Be careful about going overseas for surgery. There was a member that went to a clinic in Eastern Europe recently and she seems to have had major complications. She was given no preop support, no counselling and no postop diet instructions. Cheaper is not always worth it.

40 minutes ago, elcee said:

Be careful about going overseas for surgery. There was a member that went to a clinic in Eastern Europe recently and she seems to have had major complications. She was given no preop support, no counselling and no postop diet instructions. Cheaper is not always worth it.

Most of family is eastern European (hungarian) I dont buy into the paranoia of those countries being out to get a quick buck. The care standards are often better than those in British hospitals, the reasons for then being cheaper are practical ones. Wages and cost of living is significantly less, taxes and equipment costs a fraction over there. That's why we have so many eastern Europeans working in the UK. They get their qualifications in their home country and can do the same job here while getting paid over twice the wage.

I'm sorry that member had a bad experience, and i hope theyre ok now, but that's sounds more like poor research, rather than the fact they were cheap/ Eastern European. Pre and post op care will be fundamental factors in choosing any hospital and I'd want those details outlined before choosing anywhere, home or abroad. Counselling will be something I expect to seek out myself anyway as it's not generally offered in the uk as a private funded option.

also to add, the clinics ive been looking at have uk based post-op nutritionists and surgical reps , which is reassuring :)

Edited by Pippa1703

I had an "A-ha" moment when I knew that I HAD to do something to lose the weight. I went to a bariatric surgery info session the next day, and I signed up to meet with the doctor. I did no research before I did that. I was so overweight though, that I was miserable. I did some research after meeting with the doctor, but none prior to. Best of luck with everything!

My surgery is March 27th and I have been in this process a year and a half (I stopped after a few meetings due to a new job and really wanting to give myself one last chance to lose on my own. I also make impulsive decisions so I know how that is. I will say I think ANY clinic that does surgery 2-3 weeks after you contact them is more than a red flag, it’s a huge red neon billboard. Like others have said this is major surgery with a lifetime of dietary restrictions attached to it. And saying you don’t like to drink so that will be a plus means you need to keep reading. Getting your Water in is vital after surgery and that and the Protein requirements are the biggest struggles in the beginning (and the gas pains from what I have read...haha). . There is nothing wrong with knowing you want to follow this path but you need to get mentally prepared before the surgery as well as financially prepared if you have to pay out of pocket. Any surgeon who does gastric weight loss surgery after 3 weeks of knowing a patient is reckless and irresponsible at the very least and potentially deadly in the worst. Your doctor should put you through a battery of testing covering multiple areas to ensure you are a suitable candidate. Be smart before you let someone cut out and revise vital organs

^^ each to their own but I know quite a few places in Australia who are able to do surgery from first consultation within 6-8 weeks they don't ask us to jump through all those hoops all they require is medical history and blood tests before committing to surgery I don't see the point of the 3-6 month diet since I've spent the past 20 years off and on diets as it is the reason why I'm looking at RNY bypass is BECAUSE diets haven't bloody worked for me DUH..

6 hours ago, 49Nash said:

My surgery is March 27th and I have been in this process a year and a half (I stopped after a few meetings due to a new job and really wanting to give myself one last chance to lose on my own. I also make impulsive decisions so I know how that is. I will say I think ANY clinic that does surgery 2-3 weeks after you contact them is more than a red flag, it’s a huge red neon billboard. Like others have said this is major surgery with a lifetime of dietary restrictions attached to it. And saying you don’t like to drink so that will be a plus means you need to keep reading. Getting your Water in is vital after surgery and that and the Protein requirements are the biggest struggles in the beginning (and the gas pains from what I have read...haha). . There is nothing wrong with knowing you want to follow this path but you need to get mentally prepared before the surgery as well as financially prepared if you have to pay out of pocket. Any surgeon who does gastric weight loss surgery after 3 weeks of knowing a patient is reckless and irresponsible at the very least and potentially deadly in the worst. Your doctor should put you through a battery of testing covering multiple areas to ensure you are a suitable candidate. Be smart before you let someone cut out and revise vital organs

I feel like I’ve just been told off! Being smart before you let someone cut out your vital organs is a bit of an obvious point, but granted, you don’t know me, I COULD be an idiot ,so thanks? However, I assure you, i’m not.

In your defence,i don’t think I was very clear, the 2-3 weeks timeline is AFTER you’ve provided all your Medical history and had evaluations. It not just cut and cheque and a cut a stomach.

They have told me the barrage of tests he’d need to do first, including blood test, group blood test and rh factor, biochemistry analysis, (ALAT,ASAT, bilirubin, cholesterol,HDLP,LDLP, triglycerides, INR, APTL, prothrombin, urea, creatinine, (Na+,K+,CL-, HCO3, Ca2+), TTH, glucose, total serum Protein, chest x Ray, fibrogastroduodenosvopy with anaesthetic, heliocobacter pylori test, ultrasound, ECG and Hep C .

A lot of which would be performed at the clinic, if you’re not suitable for surgery when you get there, they return your funds minus a deposit to cover the travel/accommodation of getting you there.

I think your own experience has made perhaps made you a tad prejudice to other processes. Irresponsible and reckless are strong words. I understand the process is different in the US but when you’re paying private for anything, things move quicker, there are fewer stages and hoops to jump because you’re not costing anyone else anything. If someone want to claim a major surgery on their insurance, obviously the insurance company isn’t going to make it half as easy for you as they would a private paying client. This why I need to make sure I’m doing as much research as possible to know I’m making an informed decision. Including the advice they give you for preparing before a surgery.

As as per the Water comment, I meant with meals-I didn’t specify that, so my bad. I’m not the biggest drinker in all honesty though, but I’m aware of the requirements and I’ve done plenty of Keto diets before that require a LOT more than the recommended 1.9litres a day that I’ve seen and managed just fine. Someone pointed out protein water as an option too, because I struggle with the texture of shakes, so that’s an extra incentive to drink.

i know I’m out of other optoins. “One last attempt to do it myself” for me, was at least 2 or 3 attempts ago. I don’t need a huge diet before surgery , just need to eat healthily for health’s sake because my BMI is 35.8 which isn’t far from their minimum requirements as it is.

I’d say i’ve made my mind up to be honest. I’m going to follow the clinic over the next month, there’s a few more people that I’m speaking to that are going for surgery this week and they’re going to be journaling their experiences over the next 2-4 weeks and if i’m Still happy with the regimen , i’m Hoping to call and book this summer :)