Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I had a lap band in 2015 and had complications. My dr is advising I have it removed. I am looking at having a revision surgery to MGB in Tijuana with Dr. A. Lopez. My lap-band was done in the states. My worry is am I crazy for weighing in at 190 and considering a another weight loss surgery? I have gained 30lbs in the last 6 months. Is MGB too invasive? I don’t want to loose to much and look unhealthy. Please be open and honest. God Bless is all!

I had lapband in 2012 and had it removed and went to gastric bypass on 2/15/19. I weighed 201 when i had surgery. I personally think it was the right choice for me because I know i would just gain and gain. The bypass forces me to eat healthier. So far I think it was best. But thats my personal opinion.

I would say if you are steady in weight that you might not want to do this? I don't know your BMI but in the Netherlands the minimum for a gastric bypass/sleeve is 35 with co-morbidities or 40 without. If your lap band is giving you problems, you can consider it, but I wouldn't expect too much weight loss after? Good luck either way

I revised from band to bypass on 17/01/19. I have lost 7kg so far and am now back in the healthy weigh range. You don’t have to have a high BMI when you are revising because of complications.

Im really happy with my decision so far

I revised Band to Sleeve this month. I had my band removed in December 2016 and I really wish I had done the revision surgery a year before I did. I just got my sleeve 3 weeks ago. It's really hard to keep the weight off once the band is removed. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do it. I gained about 2/3 of the weight I had lost with the band back in 2 years.

Good luck! I know feeling like you have to start over again with another surgery is really hard but you've got this.

Can I ask why you don’t have your band removed here in the states since it was put in here?

Hi Kris77
I can have it removed here but my insurance won’t cover the MGB because I don’t have Pre-existing chronic health conditions and I would have to pay 30K here. Plus I didn’t want to have 2 separate surgeries.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, CR0610 said:

How long were you off from work for recovery? Any advice or must know tips to follow?

I was off a week and a half completely and then was work from home for a week, but I actually choose to come back to the office a couple of days earlier than I had planned because I was feeling up to it.

It depends on the type of work you do. I don't have to lift anything since most of my work is via the computer so that made it easier.

I had my band removed in 2010. My doctor offered to revise me to another surgery at the time I had the band removed. I can't remember exactly what my weight was, but I recall that my BMI showed "overweight", not obese at the time. I didn't revise with the lap band removal and I'm wishing I had taken that doctors advice. My weight stayed steady for a year or 2, maybe slowly creeping up 20lbs. In 2014, I had a major life-changing event occur and I gained ALL of my weight back over the course of 2 years! If I had a tool to keep me a little more in-line, I doubt it would have been as catastrophic as it was. Now, I'm struggling hard to get back to that place where I was when I had the lap band out. I'm close, but not quite there yet.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, CR0610 said:

am I crazy for weighing in at 190 and considering a another weight loss surgery?

Absolutely not! You do what you feel you need to do. If you need a tool to help you maintain, then take advantage of it. I can't answer your inquiry about whether MGB is too invasive. I considered it when I was planning my revision but ultimately went with the sleeve.

No you are not crazy. I had to have 2 lap bands removed and waited a little over a year to have the sleeve done on 2/22/2019. I haven't gotten much support from my husband and my daughter but I did it for me. I just bit my tongue when I ask for help and they reply with I told you shouldn't have gotten the surgery done. I'm very glad I found this forum for support.

On 03/03/2019 at 18:27, JDUDA said:

No you are not crazy. I had to have 2 lap bands removed and waited a little over a year to have the sleeve done on 2/22/2019. I haven't gotten much support from my husband and my daughter but I did it for me. I just bit my tongue when I ask for help and they reply with I told you shouldn't have gotten the surgery done. I'm very glad I found this forum for support.

Im sorry your family isn’t very supportive . 🙁