Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often to snack???

So my doctor told me it seemed like my stomach can't handle much food at all. Which is kind of understandable, he told me to eat several Snacks through out the day keep them small, and space them out between meals. Do any of you snack? Any ideas on how to notice when it's time to eat??

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app

I know some hospitals say eat 3 times a day, no snacking. But we were advised to have 3 meals and 3 healthy Snacks during the day, all 2-3 hours apart. Healthy snacks are Protein high and low in calories.
As for unhealthy snacking, I take some chocolate now and then , or some crisps. Nowhere near the amount i used to, but still a bit. Not every day, of course

I know some hospitals say eat 3 times a day, no snacking. But we were advised to have 3 meals and 3 healthy Snacks during the day, all 2-3 hours apart. Healthy Snacks are Protein high and low in calories.
As for unhealthy snacking, I take some chocolate now and then , or some crisps. Nowhere near the amount i used to, but still a bit. Not every day, of course
That's a good idea! Every two to three hours, yeah my doctor originally said no snacks. Since last month though my stomach doesn't tolerate hardly anything well without the help of medicine so we are trying this snack thing. Thanks for the reply [emoji4]

I have also been told 3 meals and 2 or 3 healthy Snacks

I just eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that's 3 times a day, sometimes it's 6 or 7. I only eat small amounts, so it seems to work out OK. And because I eat when I need to, I don't feel deprived. The only thing I'm strict about its alcohol - I only drink it when it's an occasion with friends. I think wine was what piled on the pounds in the past, so I'm not going down that road again!

Some people are really strict about food too, but you have to find out what's sustainable for you. If you're really very strict about food for a few months and then fall off the waggon because you feel deprived, then you won't keep off the weight. I have the occasional treat, but make sure I still lose a pound or two a week. I think I'll be able to sustain that in the long term.

There won't be a single right answer - I think you've just got to experiment to find out what works for you.

I've always planned for 1 or 2 Snacks during the day. For some reason, I've always gotten a little hungry in between Breakfast and lunch. It doesn't matter what I ate for breakfast. So, at the very least I plan for a healthy mid-morning snack.

You'll see a lot of variation in advice given by surgeons and nutritionists. I live very similar to looly above. If I don't find a happy medium of sustainable changes in my lifestyle, I will fail. I know this about myself as a result of battling this over a lifetime. So, for me, moderation is my motto. I allow myself occasional treats. If I find myself getting a little out of control with the treats, I go back to basics.

Hmmm. I’m still on the puréed stage, but my doc said 3 meals, zero Snacks.
Which is extremely difficult to get in Protein requirements bc I can’t eat a lot.
However, seeing as I have to wait 30 mins before and after eating, I don’t see how it’s possible to fit in snacks unless I cut down on sleep

I just eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that's 3 times a day, sometimes it's 6 or 7. I only eat small amounts, so it seems to work out OK. And because I eat when I need to, I don't feel deprived. The only thing I'm strict about its alcohol - I only drink it when it's an occasion with friends. I think wine was what piled on the pounds in the past, so I'm not going down that road again!
Some people are really strict about food too, but you have to find out what's sustainable for you. If you're really very strict about food for a few months and then fall off the waggon because you feel deprived, then you won't keep off the weight. I have the occasional treat, but make sure I still lose a pound or two a week. I think I'll be able to sustain that in the long term.
There won't be a single right answer - I think you've just got to experiment to find out what works for you.
I'm pretty strict about food and recently figured out I can't be as strict as I'd like. I've given myself liberty to have one treat in a week so I'm glad not the only one who feels like I shouldn't be doing that! Thanks for replying, time to experiment [emoji4]

On 2/25/2019 at 3:00 AM, JaminJ said:

So my doctor told me it seemed like my stomach can't handle much food at all. Which is kind of understandable, he told me to eat several Snacks through out the day keep them small, and space them out between meals. Do any of you snack? Any ideas on how to notice when it's time to eat??

I was told to have my 3 meals a day and snack 2 times a day once 2 hours after breakfast and once 2 hours after lunch. If I still haven't eaten all of my Protein or my calorie goal I can have one at 8pm for bed but most days I find that hard.

I was told to have my 3 meals a day and snack 2 times a day once 2 hours after Breakfast and once 2 hours after lunch. If I still haven't eaten all of my Protein or my calorie goal I can have one at 8pm for bed but most days I find that hard.
That sounds like a good idea, I've been thinking of timing to get my Snacks in two hours after a meal sounds reasonable thanks for replying!

3 meals and two Snacks here too. I mostly snack on yogurt or sugar free Jello. I have had some nuts and a fruit too. grapefruits if I need citrus.