Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion Sizes

Hi everyone, I'm three weeks post op and I wanted to know what a typical portion size is for you. I just had two poached eggs, tbsp of hummus and a table spoon of nonfat cottage cheese...and I still feel like maybe I can eat more. Is this normal? What's a typical portion for you?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

6 minutes ago, Tejee said:

Hi everyone, I'm three weeks post op and I wanted to know what a typical portion size is for you. I just had two poached eggs, tbsp of hummus and a table spoon of nonfat cottage cheese...and I still feel like maybe I can eat more. Is this normal? What's a typical portion for you?

I measure out my food and don't eat more than 4 oz. of anything at a time. I is definitely enough and if I tend to eat just a smig more it hurts and I get nauseous.

I have been told 125ml to 250ml per meal. I struggle sometimes with measuring. I’m fine if it’s something in a bowl but food that gets eaten from a plate is a bit harder.

I sometimes wonder if I have eaten too much but I generally leave something on the plate. So far I have not had any symptoms of being full - I just try to stop when I mentally think I’ve eaten enough

17 minutes ago, Tejee said:

Hello... I'm 6 weeks post op, and I've noticed some people struggle with portions while others don't. Some can eat 2 bites and be done, wish that were my case, but I have to watch how many ounces I eat at a setting so that I don't overdo it. The softer the food it seems, the more I can eat. Soups I can eat 6oz easy, while meat only about 2oz. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to try and limit your servings, and stay within the guidelines that you were given. Best of luck, it gets easier with time, I struggled a lot with this at first while introducing solids back into my diet.

Wow 2 eggs is more than I seem to be able to handle. More Protein tho. Hard to get protein in some days. If it did not hurt or should be alright. What does nutritionist suggest for oz in a meal?

Wow 2 eggs is more than I seem to be able to handle. More Protein tho. Hard to get Protein in some days. If it did not hurt or should be alright. What does nutritionist suggest for oz in a meal?
My nutritionist says that about a half a cup is the size of my stomach so to eat that much or a little less. They were poached eggs because I'm in my puree stage.

1 hour ago, Tejee said:

Don't focus on how much you can eat. That is the wrong mindset. Focus on the portion size you're supposed to have and stop. On purees, you won't get much restriction, they are sliders. You'll have more restriction on solids. But start training yourself to the 1/2 cup max visual now. Good luck!

Don't focus on how much you can eat. That is the wrong mindset. Focus on the portion size you're supposed to have and stop. On purees, you won't get much restriction, they are sliders. You'll have more restriction on solids. But start training yourself to the 1/2 cup max visual now. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I just always feel hungry and it's frustrating. I know I'm only on purees but I find myself questioning why I can eat a big bowl of Soup and still want more. Once I get to soft foods, you think things will be different?

Hello... I'm 6 weeks post op, and I've noticed some people struggle with portions while others don't. Some can eat 2 bites and be done, wish that were my case, but I have to watch how many ounces I eat at a setting so that I don't overdo it. The softer the food it seems, the more I can eat. Soups I can eat 6oz easy, while meat only about 2oz. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to try and limit your servings, and stay within the guidelines that you were given. Best of luck, it gets easier with time, I struggled a lot with this at first while introducing solids back into my diet.
Thank you for the response! Yeah... I am still on pureed stage but during liquid I could hardly eat anything..now all of a sudden I'm always hungry. It's worrying me. I want to make sure I'm doing things right and I am frustrated that I feel I can eat more than I should (especially liquids). Once you hit the soft stage, did you full faster?

4 hours ago, Tejee said:

Once you hit the soft stage, did you full faster? 

For me it wasn't until the more solid stage that I started to feel my stomach signs of fullness. The more solid the food, the more I feel it. I had never gotten that omg I may have eaten too much feeling until the food was pretty solid and dense. When I eat things like Soup and yogurt and cottage cheese, etc I just don't feel full when I have the recommended 4oz. That is what my plan portion is so I serve myself that. My nutritionist said it's ok to have a snack between meals so I'll have an orange or an apple or a pickle or something an hour or so later, I can usually feel that and it helps my head hunger a bit.

Hang in there, if the soft food doesn't do much for you like me, the more solid food almost certainly will. Right now you're training your stomach to eat again, and it sucks that some of us don't feel it as easy as others do, but as you progress in stages you will feel it a little more. The important thing is to 1> get in your Protein. 2> stick to recommended portion size and allowed foods the best you can. You'll be glad that you did.

10 hours ago, Tejee said:

Thank you for the reply. I just always feel hungry and it's frustrating. I know I'm only on purees but I find myself questioning why I can eat a big bowl of Soup and still want more. Once I get to soft foods, you think things will be different?

Have you tried putting some unflavored Protein Powder in your Soup? That might help with reducing hunger.

I couldn’t eat much once I advanced to the soft food stage. A couple tablespoons and I was full. I’m 9-months post-op, and right now, I can eat between 3-4 ounces of food, depending upon whatever it is I’m eating at the time. Never more than 4 ounces, and I’m always full afterward.

I am almost 4 months out and I can only eat about 1 ounce of food per meal and snack. My situation may be different my stomach no longer empties all the way so I have to break my food into very small portions! Always a good idea to measure out your food though just to be safe ya mnow

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m 6-mos out and can’t eat a whole scrambled egg. At 5:45A I’ll drink a cup of coffee followed by 16oz Water over next 2 1/2 hours. Around 8 to 8:30 I’ll drink my Protein Shake, then slip out for a 1 or 2 mile walk. When I get back around 9, I’ll eat half a Greek yogurt followed by more water. On the weekends, I will swap the shake for an egg. Usually scrambled with cheese and I’ll eat 2/3rds of it...anymore makes me sick. I’ve noticed that in stead of getting nauseous right away when I over eat, I’ll get hay fever symptoms first. Runny nose and itchy watery eyes. One or two more bites and I’ll upchuck. But the runny nose is my warning track. Whatever you do eat SLOWLY and chew.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:56 PM, Tejee said:

I eat a max of 4oz at a time but most of the time I can only get 2 or 3oz. I couldn't imagine getting two poached eggs. I can barely finish one egg most days.