Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changed mind about WLS?

Hello, newbie here. I'm very interested in WLS but then part of me thinks I can fool myself into pretending I've had it. Has anyone changed their mind about having the surgery after doing the pre-op diet, or for any reason such has having success or just even playing a mind trick on yourself? Curious. Thank you!

Hello, newbie here. I'm very interested in WLS but then part of me thinks I can fool myself into pretending I've had it. Has anyone changed their mind about having the surgery after doing the pre-op diet, or for any reason such has having success or just even playing a mind trick on yourself? Curious. Thank you!

Yes, last year i changed my mind one week before my sleeve surgery ...got cold feet...scared.... This year im due in may. I was setting my mind for it. Since i weight 212... i only want to loose 50 LB. BUT M SCARED OF THE PAIN, MY Hair loss, AND LOOSING MORE THEN 50 lb. So i set my mind for it. Then last nite i was reading here n this forum that 3 individual post op people developed lots of itching in the back. Another in stomack n thighs n another in upper body then this itching turned into hives. I read all this and i got discouraged, i then say i will just loose 40 lbs on my own. But i loose this week n gain the other week. Its like no use. with 213 lb at 57 yr old, im confused.. why should i do surgery with all these complications. Number one complication would be my boops hanging to the floor along with my stomach n face. Not even talking about the nausea plus pain. So to yur question, yes i changed my mind before n i pray i Dont change it again.

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

not me - but it wouldn't have worked for me. I had lost 50-60 lbs countless times, and the weight always eventually came back. I had over 200 lbs to lose, and I finally came to the realization that it wasn't gonna happen without intervention. I'm almost 60 years old and have been overweight/obese my whole life. WLS is the only thing that "worked".

For the few that had complications, there are countless others who did not. People tend to post the complications more in order to get support and ideas but if a person did or is doing great they don't necessarily create a post about it. Don't let the few bad experiences keep you from doing this. It's not just about the weight loss. It is also about the comorbidities and just living longer. You also have to be realistic about your ability to lose weight and keep it off. If you can then great! But most of us have tried losing weight in all kinds of different diets only to gain it all back. From what I've read here and from people I know, even those who have had complications, after a year or 2 out or more they say they would do it again knowing how it all went down for them.

I WISH I could've tricked myself into thinking I was a health nut that ate right and worked out all the time. Unfortunately that's not possible. It's called yo-yo dieting and is the reason most people on this forum opted for WLS. Once you get to a point where you are tired of failing at fad diets and your health has deteriorated to a point that only drastic measures will work, then you will be ready to consider WLS. It's a serious reminder/tool that you were in a bad place and an early death was imminent.

I as well thought about it years ago & decided not to go the wls route. Did great too! Lost over 80lbs & now I sit with over 100 added.. yep as stated yo-yo dieting. I was in the gym for at least 2-4 hours a day 4-5 times a week. I’m going for the surgery! It felt truly great getting the weight off & watching myself shrink. Now my work schedule and time is not the same. It seems this additional weight makes everything harder. I’m older, time is not on my side and getting sleep is not going well. I know a mental change is a must to be successful either way! But I’m hoping that having a smaller stomach will be an added help. I’ve seen and read many of the post on how years down the line you can sabotage your wls if your not mentally prepared. I’m personally tired of the dieting and want to just eat to live. No longer living to eat. No more fad diets or dieting period. Just better choices and getting what I need to live and be healthy.

Awesome...I really appreciate everyone’s honest answer. I feel I can trick myself...At 300 I’ve gone to 200 and felt good then started eating just normally and then oops..weight goes up. Many of us have the same stories. I need to get past the point I think I’m doing the “easy” way out and that I must be a terrible unfocused person not to be able to lose weight and keep it off. You guys really helped me thank you again.

5 hours ago, Panda333 said:

Are you sure you're ready for this major decision?
I knew I was, I had hit rock bottom, I surrendered to the fact that I had no self control to do it on my own. My health was starting to fail me and in desperation I looked into WLS. I am so glad that I did, I had never thought it was for me in the past, I always thought that I should do it on my own. This surgery changes you, and the way you think about food. At least it did for me. I have this new baby tummy and I need to protect it. It was a gift and I am treating it as such. Good luck on your decision, and if you feel you can do it on your own you should try to do so first in my opinion. I think if WLS is right for you, you will know it deep inside, and it will be one of the most important things in your life.

Surgery is a personal decision. it's not for everyone. Many people have changed their minds and backed out. Understand that they usually don't stay on a weight loss surgery chat forum.

I needed along term solution. I'm still maintaining my weight over four years. I had no complication's and bounced back quickly from surgery. No regrets

This is a big decision. Do what's best for you.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn't decide to do it until I had tried everything else. I had had multiple major weight losses including 80 lbs. on Phentermine, but no matter my resolve, the weight always came back. When I started to become handicapped by lower back pain from degenerative disc disorder, I decided to have the surgery and get this sorted before I hit 50. If you don't think you need it, by all means don't get it. Any surgery has potential negative side effects.

You have two posts about the same topic. It just doesn’t seem like you are ready for WLS. When I decided, there was no doubt in my mind. It sounds like you aren’t there yet

When you spend half your life obese and deal with the stares and society and go through not getting anyone to share life with then add on the health issues as we get older then WLS is a great tool.

Most of us on here have been through many diets and disappointments.

It's not usually losing the weight that is the issue it's keeping it off and keeping on track.

I may have said this before but back in 2012 I did lose a good amount 90lbs in 6 months it was amazing first time in my adult life of being only 200lbs was so good meet a few girls had a good time for a YEAR... Then fwd a few years and put it all back on plus 20lbs okay so personally as I get closer to 40 (35 this year; where did the past 10yrs go?)

I've made this BIG decision to put myself through WLS and start a new life a new lifestyle and a new future!

It is a huge decision not to be taken lightly!

Due to insurance and scheduling issues, I had to wait 8 months before my surgery. This gave me a LOT of time to weigh the pros and cons, examine my motives, and get psychologically ready for the change. It is different from other surgeries - this is ELECTIVE. You are choosing to put yourself at risk. Like many others, I lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds on my own..... only to have it all come back, plus. After a life time of this, my metabolism was totally screwed up and the brain-stomach-hormone mechanism was also screwed up. I had no "stop button." I never felt full. I ate very healthy food, but could never stop once started. Meanwhile, I had given up, wheat, sugar, all artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, alcohol, caffeine. I ate nothing fried, only healthy grains, my homegrown veggies/poultry/ and eggs. I maintained an active lifestyle with my garden and animals.

One day, feeling afraid of the surgery, I suggested to my PCP that perhaps I should just try again to do it on my own. She very kindly told me, "If you could have done it on your own, you would have." She was right. I was just fooling myself, maybe thinking I was weak for not being able to do it on my own. But I came to the realization that my body would NEVER lose weight because of all the damage I had previously done. Weight Loss Surgery was the final tool I needed to bring my metabolism and hormone mechanisms back to a more normal baseline.

I was still scared, even laying on the Pre-op bed, I was crying and told my surgeon I was just scared about making such a big decision for an elective procedure. He reassured me that none of his patients had ever come back to him and said they wished they had never done it. He was right. I am only 3 weeks post op. I did have a complication that has now been handled, and I can say that my life looks so different. I feel better already, having lost 31 pounds since beginning the pre-op diet. I am very, very glad, even at this early point, for having done the surgery. I think this is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Preop, it is like you are looking up at a cloud layer that is obscuring the sun. All you see are shadows (doubts.) Afterwards, it is like you are flying above the clouds in the sunshine, looking down at the clouds that are now bright and white. It's all about the perspective of where you are, and you can never get above the cloud layer unless you bravely make the decision to go forward.

That being said, you must be determined that you will do everything you can after surgery to be successful. No cheating, no compromise. Surgery is a tool - you still have to do your part. My best suggestion is to give up all addictions BEFORE surgery so you don't have to deal with them on top of the recovery. (Caffeine, sugar, simple carbs, processed foods, artificial anything, alcohol, and of course smoking.) Determine that these are lifestyle changes that you will never go back to. That is my slogan: "I'M NEVER GOING BACK!"

22 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Due to insurance and scheduling issues, I had to wait 8 months before my surgery. This gave me a LOT of time to weigh the pros and cons, examine my motives, and get psychologically ready for the change. It is different from other surgeries - this is ELECTIVE. You are choosing to put yourself at risk. Like many others, I lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds on my own..... only to have it all come back, plus. After a life time of this, my metabolism was totally screwed up and the brain-stomach-hormone mechanism was also screwed up. I had no "stop button." I never felt full. I ate very healthy food, but could never stop once started. Meanwhile, I had given up, wheat, sugar, all artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, alcohol, caffeine. I ate nothing fried, only healthy grains, my homegrown veggies/poultry/ and eggs. I maintained an active lifestyle with my garden and animals.

One day, feeling afraid of the surgery, I suggested to my PCP that perhaps I should just try again to do it on my own. She very kindly told me, "If you could have done it on your own, you would have." She was right. I was just fooling myself, maybe thinking I was weak for not being able to do it on my own. But I came to the realization that my body would NEVER lose weight because of all the damage I had previously done. Weight Loss Surgery was the final tool I needed to bring my metabolism and hormone mechanisms back to a more normal baseline.

I was still scared, even laying on the Pre-op bed, I was crying and told my surgeon I was just scared about making such a big decision for an elective procedure. He reassured me that none of his patients had ever come back to him and said they wished they had never done it. He was right. I am only 3 weeks post op. I did have a complication that has now been handled, and I can say that my life looks so different. I feel better already, having lost 31 pounds since beginning the pre-op diet. I am very, very glad, even at this early point, for having done the surgery. I think this is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Preop, it is like you are looking up at a cloud layer that is obscuring the sun. All you see are shadows (doubts.) Afterwards, it is like you are flying above the clouds in the sunshine, looking down at the clouds that are now bright and white. It's all about the perspective of where you are, and you can never get above the cloud layer unless you bravely make the decision to go forward.

That being said, you must be determined that you will do everything you can after surgery to be successful. No cheating, no compromise. Surgery is a tool - you still have to do your part. My best suggestion is to give up all addictions BEFORE surgery so you don't have to deal with them on top of the recovery. (Caffeine, sugar, simple carbs, processed foods, artificial anything, alcohol, and of course smoking.) Determine that these are lifestyle changes that you will never go back to. That is my slogan: "I'M NEVER GOING BACK!"

AMEN HALLELUJAH

For me it was a bit like fallling in love. I was thinking about it, doubting, asking around, reading the internet. But once I took the decision it was like a click, no more doubts, Boy that gave me a lot of rest in my head. Still do not regret, even though my road is bumpy