Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is MGB different to RNY help

Hey guys hope all is well.

I've been reading but unable to find the exact answers.

It looks as though there's no major difference?

Can people with MGB tell me does it still cause malabsorption and the need for all the Vitamins? Is the malabsorption as much as normal RNY?

I'm just trying to get my head around why the 2 exist if they offer same results

Thanks

Hi Mikeyy,

The MGB and the RNY are different in that the MGB only has one joining, or anastomosis, not two joinings (anastomoses) as with the RNY. Because both are bypassing feet of the small intestine, they are both malabsorption surgeries. And the malabsorption is the same for both.

Here is a demonstration of the MGB:

Here is a demonstration of the RNY:

Hope this helps!

7 minutes ago, GBLady41 said:

Hi Mikeyy,

The MGB and the RNY are different in that the MGB only has one joining, or anastomosis, not two joinings (anastomoses) as with the RNY. Because both are bypassing feet of the small intestine, they are both malabsorption surgeries. And the malabsorption is the same for both.

Here is a demonstration of the MGB:

Here is a demonstration of the RNY:

Hope this helps!

I understand the procedural difference just wondering is there any difference in calorie absorption or Vitamins needed?

Any difference in the size of pouch?

Any difference in weight loss?

If they do the same overall what's the reason for one or the other?

58 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

I understand the procedural difference just wondering is there any difference in calorie absorption or Vitamins needed?

Any difference in the size of pouch?

Any difference in weight loss?

If they do the same overall what's the reason for one or the other?

The mini GBP creates a sleeve like stomach that will use stomach acids to break down foods and Vitamins etc. so the absorption will be greater. The traditional RNY will only have a small pouch that will not use acids like the sleeve to break down what's ingested. People that choose the traditional RNY over the MGBP do so for the same reason people go with the RNY over VSG.... acid reflux or GERD. The MGBP is similar (maybe slightly better) to the sleeve in weight loss statistics according to the interwebs.

16 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

The mini GBP creates a sleeve like stomach that will use stomach acids to break down foods and Vitamins etc. so the absorption will be greater. The traditional RNY will only have a small pouch that will not use acids like the sleeve to break down what's ingested. People that choose the traditional RNY over the MGBP do so for the same reason people go with the RNY over VSG.... acid reflux or GERD. The MGBP is similar (maybe slightly better) to the sleeve in weight loss statistics according to the interwebs.

I think it makes sense I guess I really need to have a good long chat to a surgeon to decide between the 2. Tnx

Actually, it is not a sleeve. The acids do not meet the food until after the food has made it some way down the small intestine, just like the RNY. The pouch is very similar to the pouch that is with the RNY. Both pouches will only allow 2 to 4 oz of food or liquid at a time, right after surgery. It is the same malabsorption as with the RNY. The MGB is considered to be less chance of complications, less than the RNY. Weight loss is better than with a sleeve and comparable to the RNY. An experienced surgeon can do the MGB in a way that eliminates the chance for bike reflux. MGB takes care of acid reflux like the RNY. Some bariatric surgeons suggest that the MGB is better than the RNY in pretty much every way.

So people choose MGB over RNY because it is just as effective and safer. People choose MGB over sleeve because of the malabsorption and because it can get rid of acid reflux issues.

I answered the question of malabsorption and the need for Vitamins in my first post. As far as weight loss, it is comparable to the RNY. Both the MGB and the RNY cause more weight loss than the sleeve.

Okay no major difference then.

I'll discuss with surgeon

On 2/23/2019 at 10:41 PM, GBLady41 said:

Actually, it is not a sleeve. The acids do not meet the food until after the food has made it some way down the small intestine, just like the RNY. The pouch is very similar to the pouch that is with the RNY. Both pouches will only allow 2 to 4 oz of food or liquid at a time, right after surgery. It is the same malabsorption as with the RNY. The MGB is considered to be less chance of complications, less than the RNY. Weight loss is better than with a sleeve and comparable to the RNY. An experienced surgeon can do the MGB in a way that eliminates the chance for bike reflux. MGB takes care of acid reflux like the RNY. Some bariatric surgeons suggest that the MGB is better than the RNY in pretty much every way.

So people choose MGB over RNY because it is just as effective and safer. People choose MGB over sleeve because of the malabsorption and because it can get rid of acid reflux issues.

I answered the question of malabsorption and the need for Vitamins in my first post. As far as weight loss, it is comparable to the RNY. Both the MGB and the RNY cause more weight loss than the sleeve.

After watching that video, I understand the procedure as it would be as an original procedure where the large section of the stomach is left connected to the intestine and the acids still flow from there to aid in digestion further down the intestine at the junction. My question is this... For those who have already had the VSG, that large portion of stomach has already been removed, so how will the lack of those acids affect the overall efficacy of the MGB. I would imagine the lack of acids to aid digestion would most likely result in an even greater malabsorptive response. While that certainly makes me feel better about a greater chance for long term weight loss success, I imagine it also means keeping a much greater watch over keeping up with Vitamin and other nutritional supplements. Does this sound about right???

Mikeyy, one thing to consider is that some onsurance companies don't cover the MGB. I dont believe my insurance company covered it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

59 minutes ago, Briswife15 said:

Mikeyy, one thing to consider is that some onsurance companies don't cover the MGB. I dont believe my insurance company covered it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

As of March 2019 MGB is still not endorsed by the ASMBS ( American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery), nor been FDA approved, so I doubt anyone will find any Insurance to cover it. There aren't even many Doctors in the US who offer it, most likely for the same reason. If you could find a US Dr that offers it, it would undoubtedly be a cash pay basis. It is, however, very popular in Mexico and other Countries, but again, you would be paying cash or using a credit card as I am, through places like Bariatricpal MX or BeLiteWeight and a few others who have low cost deals with reputable hospitals and Surgeons in Mexico.

17 hours ago, JamesL73 said:

After watching that video, I understand the procedure as it would be as an original procedure where the large section of the stomach is left connected to the intestine and the acids still flow from there to aid in digestion further down the intestine at the junction. My question is this... For those who have already had the VSG, that large portion of stomach has already been removed, so how will the lack of those acids affect the overall efficacy of the MGB. I would imagine the lack of acids to aid digestion would most likely result in an even greater malabsorptive response. While that certainly makes me feel better about a greater chance for long term weight loss success, I imagine it also means keeping a much greater watch over keeping up with Vitamin and other nutritional supplements. Does this sound about right???

Not having had a revision from VSG to MGB, I’m honestly not sure if there’s any lack of acid. I know when they make the pouch, they don’t remove the remaining stomach, so that you still get the acids needed for the food. It just gets to the food further down the way, therefore making the malabsorption. I would say that keeping an eye on your Vitamins and nutritional supplements. 😃