Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Think I may be due for a visit to the doctor. 2nd day back at work 4 weeks post sleeve and anxiety through the roof, plus telltale signs of depression.
Could alternatively and absolutely feasibly, be hormonal, but not had a period for 2.4 years (only 42 when they stopped so assumed was weight, but now not so sure). I knew this would be a roller coaster, but snapping or tears every time I even think about getting showered, dressed, exercising, cooking, doing laundry, getting work done for 5 clients assigned to me at work. Totally useless rn.
Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Yes, a visit to the doctor may be in order. Thinking of you and wishing you well

Think I may be due for a visit to the doctor. 2nd day back at work 4 weeks post sleeve and anxiety through the roof, plus telltale signs of depression.
Could alternatively and absolutely feasibly, be hormonal, but not had a period for 2.4 years (only 42 when they stopped so assumed was weight, but now not so sure). I knew this would be a roller coaster, but snapping or tears every time I even think about getting showered, dressed, exercising, cooking, doing laundry, getting work done for 5 clients assigned to me at work. Totally useless rn.

I feel you. I've struggled with anxiety and depression all my life and now I feel even more anxious after the sleeve. My doctor told me to go back on fluoxetine, which I plan to do. Hang in there, hopefully itll get better!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you both for simply acknowledging the post. I've got pre-surgery problems to solve work-wise and have always tended towards the bi-polar. Calmer tonight. Not least cos my fabulous other half just let me sob for 20 minutes while keeping kids clear.

I've been such an odious PMS-like hair-trigger mess on and off and last couple of days family got it in the neck as couldn't vent at boss or clients. New routines. All about new routines. And decent bed times. Must get back to that.

11 hours ago, BrighterSide said:

I just made a post about my experience with VSG and my hormonal imbalance. I am not sure if I can copy the thread to you or tag you in it, but I will try. You sound very much like you may be struggling with menopausal hormonal imbalances. Its extremely frustrating because you just don't know what is wrong with you but you feel like you are falling apart. Menopause is something I am learning about through research as of late because I was going through so many strange things (including the anxiety and depression even though I know that is not my nature). Hormones have a LOT to do with how we women function or lack of function. If you stopped having a period that long ago, you are in menopause. It may be worth your while to ask your gyno to give you a hormone test.

Here is the post I made about hormones

Edited by BajanSleeve

I just made a post about my experience with VSG and my hormonal imbalance. I am not sure if I can copy the thread to you or tag you in it, but I will try. You sound very much like you may be struggling with menopausal hormonal imbalances. Its extremely frustrating because you just don't know what is wrong with you but you feel like you are falling apart. Menopause is something I am learning about through research as of late because I was going through so many strange things (including the anxiety and depression even though I know that is not my nature). Hormones have a LOT to do with how we women function or lack of function. If you stopped having a period that long ago, you are in menopause. It may be worth your while to ask your gyno to give you a hormone test.

Here is the post I made about hormones

Thanks for that. Your reply made me cry. I have been going to my doctor about what I saw as perimenopausal symptoms for 5 years. The response every time was that there was no point testing me and there was nothing they could do and anyway it was probably because I was fat or stressed so until I had that under control a referral was a waste of time. One of my key drivers for weight loss surgery has been to go back to the doctor and say...look, I still barely drink, I quit smoking over a year ago, I work from home 4 days a week now (largely due to being too broken to do otherwise), and I just dropped X stone. Refer me or I will chain myself to your desk and report wilful medical negligence leading to cardiac and bone problems to everyone I can reach with my not inconsiderable social media presence linked to my day job.

@bajansleeve Your post also, apparently, put a rocket up my behind. A real fists clenched 'NO MORE' moment. Found my closest consultant member of the British Menopause Society. Called and found out they take referrals from outside their local NHS catchment area, called my GP and asked how best to get a referral. Threw myself on receptionist mercy to identify a sympathetic doctor Vs the first one they could find, now have a phone appointment in 10 days to get that referral to consultant gynaecologist. Whoohoo! Here's hoping GP doesn't fob me off

16 hours ago, BrighterSide said:

Thank you both for simply acknowledging the post. I've got pre-surgery problems to solve work-wise and have always tended towards the bi-polar. Calmer tonight. Not least cos my fabulous other half just let me sob for 20 minutes while keeping kids clear.

I've been such an odious PMS-like hair-trigger mess on and off and last couple of days family got it in the neck as couldn't vent at boss or clients. New routines. All about new routines. And decent bed times. Must get back to that.

Could very well be hormonal changes, could be depression. I too suffer from anxiety and depression. I take Lexapro daily and Buspirone as needed for anxiety. I have been surprised and how little I need the anxiety meds since surgery. Please reach out to your doctor just to be safe. HUGS to you!

5 hours ago, BrighterSide said:

@bajansleeve Your post also, apparently, put a rocket up my behind. A real fists clenched 'NO MORE' moment. Found my closest consultant member of the British Menopause Society. Called and found out they take referrals from outside their local NHS catchment area, called my GP and asked how best to get a referral. Threw myself on receptionist mercy to identify a sympathetic doctor Vs the first one they could find, now have a phone appointment in 10 days to get that referral to consultant gynaecologist. Whoohoo! Here's hoping GP doesn't fob me off

FANTASTIC!!!! I soooooooooooo hope you get some relief and help. remember to ask specifically about progesterone. That is the one that kicks in your metabolism again. Estrogen, eh, not so much. Do some Google research as well on the role that hormones play in weight loss in menopausal women. My gyno has been so supportive and has agreed that weight loss is the primary focus for me and outweighs the cons I am experiencing taking the progesterone. And to think that this all happened 'by accident' because I had a gyno emergency. God works in mysterious ways

I've had anxiety on top of my depression for a while. I've been on Wellbutrin since a few months after my first child was born (she's 5 now), but I had been having symptoms of depression since my mid-teens. I talked to my nurse practitioner, and she's weaning my off the Wellbutrin and I'll be starting Lexapro instead in 10 days or so. Being off the extended-release version of Wellbutrin, I'm already seeing a difference in my mood. I wonder if I just wasn't digesting/absorbing the drug as well with my smaller stomach? At any rate, I'm happy to be switching to a drug that has a better effect on anxiety too.

I have both anxiety and depression. Celexa is a life saver for me. When I'm not on it I'm an emotional wreck. It has been a life saver.

Wellbutrin made my anxiety worse. We are all different! The eating changes we have made in our lives are changing every aspect of who we are and what we do. Everything from my looks to feelings to activities to the clothes I wear and the way I walk has changed. Give yourself a break. Get help and know you are not alone on this wild and crazy journey!!!

Just wanted to report back that it was a quickish dip so not likely to be brain chemically, more likely hormonal, but will keep a watchful eye. Learned the hard way not to ignore those incremental signs. Thank you all for posts. Great to see so much openness about mental health. Folk often don't get that they only don't know I have challenges because I manage them and reached out to get help and talk to others :-)

On 02/23/2019 at 01:01, Robyn’s said:

I take 200 mg of setraline for major depression and acute anxiety. Feeling bit anxious as haven’t got my date with surgeon yet
Robyn’s. Please, please read this. I too take 200 mg of Zoloft and I just had bypass on Feb 15th. These WL surgeries mess with your hormone levels and it is no joke. I have been on phone with Psychiatrist and therapist all weekend trying to regulate my zoloft and hormone levels. Scariest weekend of my life. Please discuss in great detail with your psychiatrist your plan of getting your meds regularly and any “what if” situations. I developed an ulcer and i am unable to take Zoloft in the pill form right now. Thankfully they have Zoloft in a liquid form but that goes into your system super concentrated. I was having severe mood swings that scared me to death. I am not trying to scare you but hope fully you can avoid some of the suffering I have experienced. i am unable to DM on this app on my phone so i am hoping this message reaches you and anyone else that it can help.