Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Bypass?

Newbie here! I've just had my first appointment with my doctor and he said that i can choose wheter i'd like to have the Sleeve or the Bypass surgery. To be frank i'm scared of them both! I hear that people who have the sleeve often regain weight but i see the fact that the intestines are not re-routed as a huge plus. When it comes to bypass i feel it is better when it comes to controlling diabetes (i'm pre-diabetic) but the malabsortion factor terrifies me because i have chronic pain and need my meds to be absorbed, especially when i have a bad crysis.

What are your thoughts on this?

Please forgive any mistakes; english is not my mother tongue.

Edited by Simples

Hi! You didn't make any mistakes! There are quite a few threads on here about choosing between sleeve and gastric bypass. Here's one - https://www.bariatricpal.com/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/423101-How’d-you-Choose?-Sleeve-v.s.-Bypass?

I chose bypass because I have reflux and my surgeon believes that the sleeve usually makes it worse. I am a little scared about having my intestines rerouted, but I need to do this, and I believe the bypass is best for me. Do your research, and I wish you all the best.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

BYPASS is regarded as the best long term success. Higher weight loss overall. Better control of eating due to dumping meaning eating bad food makes you feel ill the rerouting of your system may seem drastic but there's 1000s of people who have changed their lives and the surgery is proven but still need to be ready to change your whole life and eating better!!

I went with the sleeve, since I do not have GERD. I also have spoken with many individuals about their choices. Yes the bypass has overall longer success rate and you lose faster, but if you are committed to changing yout habits you can be successful eighth either. I was personally nervous because I know a few people who had issues due to not being able to the Vitamins following bypass surgery and ended up with seizures. I know that is rare, but to me I didnt want to risk it. No matter what surgery you choose, it is just a tool to help you achieve your goals. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I went with the sleeve, since I do not have GERD. I also have spoken with many individuals about their choices. Yes the bypass has overall longer success rate and you lose faster, but if you are committed to changing yout habits you can be successful eighth either. I was personally nervous because I know a few people who had issues due to not being able to the Vitamins following bypass surgery and ended up with seizures. I know that is rare, but to me I didnt want to risk it. No matter what surgery you choose, it is just a tool to help you achieve your goals. Goodluck!

Sorry for typos, phone autocorrected.

Newbie here! I've just had my first appointment with my doctor and he said that i can choose wheter i'd like to have the Sleeve or the Bypass surgery. To be frank i'm scared of them both! I hear that people who have the sleeve often regain weight but i see the fact that the intestines are not re-routed as a huge plus. When it comes to bypass i feel it is better when it comes to controlling diabetes (i'm pre-diabetic) but the malabsortion factor terrifies me because i have chronic pain and need my meds to be absorbed, especially when i have a bad crysis.
What are your thoughts on this?
Please forgive any mistakes; english is not my mother tongue.
The issue with the sleeve is acid reflux as well. When I stopped taking my omeprazile it was horrible pain, nausea, vomiting am taking Pantrozole now and it is better but thinking i should have had the bypass now.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app

You are scared of having your intestines rerouted but having most of a major organ chopped off and thrown away doesn’t worry you?

1 minute ago, Rrusan73 said:

I have GERD so i went withvthe bypass and yesci was scared. But so far as of now my weight loss is 167lbs just went to the doctor last week . I weigh 190lbs. But over all the decision is your how you wamt 5o be healthy.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

wow I'm curious how long did it take to lose 167lbs? Well done!

My doctor preferred the bypass but I insisted on the sleeve. I work in an office and travel a lot as part of my job, and didn’t want a higher risk of dumping syndrome or smelly gas that would embarrass me at work. You can still dump with the sleeve but I never have, and I have no gas issues.

6 hours ago, elcee said:

You are scared of having your intestines rerouted but having most of a major organ chopped off and thrown away doesn’t worry you?

Yes, I am. I am scared of my regular pain medication not being absorbed due to the intestine bypass.

4 minutes ago, Simples said:

Yes, I am. I am scared of my regular pain medication not being absorbed due to the intestine bypass.

There are plenty of alternative meds it's only affecting some SLOW/QUICK RELEASE Medication... I take 9000g of potassium everyday for my life and I've found an alternative just by speaking to local pharmacist!! If you're having surgery you only want to do it once and do it right! If you read you will see so so many ppl being made to go from sleeve to bypass!!