Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month post-op weight loss

On 2/25/2019 at 6:37 PM, JaminJ said:

I had my sleeve done almost 4 months ago and have lost over 60 pounds since then. If you total up my pre-op weight loss I've lost over 100 pounds all together now. I was on the pre-op diet for three weeks!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello what was your pre-op diet exactly I'm being told Optifast Liquid Protein only

On 2/19/2019 at 10:22 AM, losingtolivewithjen said:

Hey! I'm new here and currently debating on whether to have the sleeve or bypass. I saw in the bypass forum there was a post discussing how much weight people were able to lose in the first 6 months after surgery. I'm curious what kind of success people with sleeve have seen. I know weight loss can be slower with the sleeve. Have you noticed this? Also, congratulations on any weight that you have lost! I can't wait to be 6 months post op and see how much better my health is!

There's a few things to consider..

Generally BMI over 40 is best for bypass as it is more restrictive.

Generally if you have over 100lbs excess to lose overall you lose more percentage with bypass.

But bypass does come with malabsorption which means you'll need to live off Vitamins and make sure you get enough Protein and Water in your diet.

There is possible dumping if you ever decide to even try junk food/fat/sugars ever again.

There's plenty of information about..the main difference is sleeve actually removes most of your stomach where BYPASS may reroute your digestive system but your stomach still remains intact.

In the end it's your choice! And the more work and effort you put in the better of course!

I've come to this post to learn more about what it is really like and I appreciate people sharing their experiences. My doctor thinks I would be a good candidate for the sleeve, but I worry I'm still going to struggle with the hunger and the cravings. I eat because I like food, not just when I'm hungry. It is what makes it so hard to stay on a diet. Was anyone an emotional/binge eater and how has it been for you changing what you eat and not eating all of the time?

2 hours ago, Elizatex said:

I've come to this post to learn more about what it is really like and I appreciate people sharing their experiences. My doctor thinks I would be a good candidate for the sleeve, but I worry I'm still going to struggle with the hunger and the cravings. I eat because I like food, not just when I'm hungry. It is what makes it so hard to stay on a diet. Was anyone an emotional/binge eater and how has it been for you changing what you eat and not eating all of the time?

I'd ask why not the BYPASS as it helps more but in the end it's your surgery

I think at some level all of us are emotional/binge eaters . U don’t get obese without pushing ur limits past actual hunger . I am an advocate of the sleeve, did it in December and lost 60lbs in 2 months . Still 20 to go but the surgery has been life changing . Even when I have “head hunger” I can’t overeat and you quickly learn to eat slow and wisely . Best thing I ever did for myself , I feel like I was released from prison through this surgery . I was about a 35 BMI. Good luck and go for it !

6 months out from sleeve. Down 64 pounds. Quite happy with that for a post menopausal woman. My meal size is approximately half of pre surgery meal size. I still get hungry. I use the sleeve for Portion Control. I started using Noom to help me mange relationship with food.< /p>

11 hours ago, Elizatex said:

Welcome to the site. I found this is the best place to look for answers. So join the club of being an emotional eater. That's me all the way. I'm almost 6 months out and last night got into a fight with my husband. Went back to the old habit. But I was not able to eat that much before I was going to be sick. It's a learning tool that I have to work on, really hard. I'm getting down with myself because I'm in another stall and have not lost any weight. I am still very grateful I got the sleeve done. That I will never regret doing.

I appreciate this and all the sites. I see that I’m not alone. I’m down 45 and wish it was more. I was watching Protein but not carbs. I’m resetting today. I’ll see what that brings.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, losingtolivewithjen said:

Hey! I'm new here and currently debating on whether to have the sleeve or bypass. I saw in the bypass forum there was a post discussing how much weight people were able to lose in the first 6 months after surgery. I'm curious what kind of success people with sleeve have seen. I know weight loss can be slower with the sleeve. Have you noticed this? Also, congratulations on any weight that you have lost! I can't wait to be 6 months post op and see how much better my health is!

I HAVE DONE OK WITH THE SLEEVE I AM 6MONTHS OUT YESTERDAY AND I AM DOWN 125LBS SO FAR

Of course need to take into account how much you have to lose if you need to lose 300 vs 100 of course it will be quicker with more to lose

I’m doing ok with the sleeve. I was supposed to have bypass but when the surgeon got in there my small intestine was too short to do the bypass. But I am actually really happy with the sleeve. I’m losing weight slower but I’m not sick like a lot of the bypass people. I can believe anyone lost 125 lbs in 6 months I’ll be happy with 10 lbs a month. Good luck with your decision! Oh I lost 45 in 4 1/2 months.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:47 AM, Mikeyy said:

I'd ask why not the BYPASS as it helps more but in the end it's your surgery

Hi! When I met with the surgeon and he went over my medical history he said I would be at a higher risk for a bowel obstruction. That's the main reason.

23 hours ago, Liz The New Me said:

Welcome to the site. I found this is the best place to look for answers. So join the club of being an emotional eater. That's me all the way. I'm almost 6 months out and last night got into a fight with my husband. Went back to the old habit. But I was not able to eat that much before I was going to be sick. It's a learning tool that I have to work on, really hard. I'm getting down with myself because I'm in another stall and have not lost any weight. I am still very grateful I got the sleeve done. That I will never regret doing.

Hello :) I'm sorry you are getting down. I wish I could say something that would help lift you back up. The food can be such a comfort, but it sounds like it backfires when you have the sleeve if you overeat. I hope your weight loss picks back up soon! Thank you for sharing with me.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:52 AM, Lolo 2020 said:

I think at some level all of us are emotional/binge eaters . U don’t get obese without pushing ur limits past actual hunger . I am an advocate of the sleeve, did it in December and lost 60lbs in 2 months . Still 20 to go but the surgery has been life changing . Even when I have “head hunger” I can’t overeat and you quickly learn to eat slow and wisely . Best thing I ever did for myself , I feel like I was released from prison through this surgery . I was about a 35 BMI. Good luck and go for it !

That is really helpful and sounds encouraging. I like that is helps you learn how to eat more slowly and not just eat like crazy. Head hunger is a good word for what I have. Especially after I've tried dieting for about a week, it gets to the point where I think I just don't care and then start eating. I will completely disconnect. I'm happy for your 60 pound drop and you only have 20 more to go! You are almost there :) I'm a 48 BMI with probably 175 pounds to lose. Thank you for sharing with me.

22 hours ago, brittmarr1 said:

I appreciate this and all the sites. I see that I’m not alone. I’m down 45 and wish it was more. I was watching Protein but not carbs. I’m resetting today. I’ll see what that brings.

What has been the hardest part for you when it comes to the food?