Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two weeks out from my surgery and I am still in pain. The left side of my stomach is hurting the most all the way along to my hip. When I came around from surgery it felt like my surgeon had ripped out my left ovary... did anyone else feel this way? (only ladies obvs haha). I still have pain in my left hip and my ovary, which my surgeon's office is confused about. I also have this kind of bee sting/burning feeling on my skin around my main incision.

I was given pain meds for the first week. I am now being told that it is too far out now to give me any pain meds and I need to go back to my pcp.

Thoughts?

I'm almost 2 months out from my surgery and the pain didn't subside for almost 3 weeks for me. I don't think there's a real measurement for when your specific pain will vanish since not all surgeons are the same, and people have different pain tolerances. I still get the occasional pain on my left side, mostly if I sit down for too long, but it's nothing like what you're describing.

Did they give you a JP drain? If they removed it too early, you might have Fluid built up in your abdomen which is causing you the discomfort.

If you had a leak, you'd be in quite a bit of pain, so I would definitely have them scan you to make sure it's not that. Better safe than sorry.

I had a drain on the right side which was taken out the day I came home. I didn't have one on the left side and I definitely have a Seroma. It is still draining. Do you think that's what's causing my pain? I would say I have a high tolerance but I think it's the length of time I have been in pain that's wearing me down.

The drain hangs off the right side of your body, but the tube goes all the way to the left and spirals. I could feel it moving under my skin (from a few inches under my left breast toward the right) when my doc removed it a week after my surgery.

I would definitely tell them you're in pain and you think there's Fluid building up. You don't want it to get infected.

I also don't want them digging around in my wound 😫 I can do a lot of things, but I swear this seroma is one of the worst things I've had to deal with! haha. It's like those pimple popper videos... omg I can't watch them. I might give it a few more days and see. It's not red, hot, smelly or green yet. I don't have a fever. If I get any of those then I'll be straight in.

I'm just not dealing with this pain though. It's making me really really grumpy.

Edited by froufrou
typo

2 hours ago, froufrou said:

I also don't want them digging around in my wound 😫 I can do a lot of things, but I swear this seroma is one of the worst things I've had to deal with! haha. It's like those pimple popper videos... omg I can't watch them. I might give it a few more days and see. It's not red, hot, smelly or green yet. I don't have a fever. If I get any of those then I'll be straight in.

I'm just not dealing with this pain though. It's making me really really grumpy.

That's good that you'll go in asap if you feel any of those things. I had the drain also, not the nicest of things to have is it? I didn't have the pain that you are describing. Like you I believe my pain tolerance to be up there but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the length of time you've been in pain is more the issue.

I hope it subsides for you soon and you can move on from this stage.

I had pretty intense pain about 5 weeks post op. Almost resorted to a nerve block but it did eventually go away. I was very concerned but surgeon said completely normal. Luckily, I was off work 8 weeks and could just relax.