Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else obsessed with My 600 lb Life?

Ever since I got my surgery date (March 27th) I am obsessed with watching my 600 lb life. I have watched it off/on over the years but now I just can’t stop watching it. I’m not sure why. Wondering if it’s just me?

I like it, but don't watch it very often because I find it to be kind of depressing. I like Family by the Ton more.

36 minutes ago, 49Nash said:

Ever since I got my surgery date (March 27th) I am obsessed with watching my 600 lb life. I have watched it off/on over the years but now I just can’t stop watching it. I’m not sure why. Wondering if it’s just me?

Nash, exactly the same for me! I watched it from time to time before, but now that I'm scheduled for surgery (March 4), I find it much more compelling. For one thing, I now understand the procedures they are having (and I'm horrified at how poorly some of them eat after surgery).

I talked about the show with my surgeon, and she hates it because it's very hard to relate to the people on that show. She would like to do "My 300-Pound Life" that shows normal, relatable people getting surgery to de-mystify the process and inspire people.

1 hour ago, 49Nash said:

Totally agree I've watched numerous episodes.

I really get angry with some people on the show. Dr now goes so far above and beyond to help these people and then some of them are so rude to him. They are completely selfish and don't even realise how much time and effort be puts in to help them.i read that the producers of the show paid for some of the surgeries so they didn't pay anything and they complete throw away everything after being given a life changing surgery. A few of the ladies on the show were so rude and mean and lying continuously. I feel disgusting when they get surgery and go straight to eating crap, like how hard is it too go to a supermarket? It must cost hundreds a week to buy take out seriously do American people not know how to cook or go to a supermarket? I'm obese sure but I eat at home I may go take out once a month lol I cringe just to think about how much money I'd wasted on junk food each day if they eat like 5 pizzas a day!!

Dr now is amazing he's in his 70s and doing major surgerys every day!

4 weeks post surgery and I watch the show more now then before surgery. Having gone through it, it is nice too see others perspectives but frankly I am tired of it always being the mom as the reason they over ate.

49 minutes ago, Chris56 said:

4 weeks post surgery and I watch the show more now then before surgery. Having gone through it, it is nice too see others perspectives but frankly I am tired of it always being the mom as the reason they over ate.

Well think about it this way these people are mostly immobile and cannot leave their house so the parent becomes the carer. The cook. The person who does the shopping so they are responsible.

How can you say you love or care if you sit back and watch your child get bigger and bigger and do nothing at all to help.

Then a few episodes there was 2 young girls early 20s that were 600lbs and could barely walk one girl mentioned that she was 400lbs at 12 years old, well who the hell is buying the food feeding the child? The parents are paying for everything and watching their little girl get bigger and bigger each year.

How is it even possible for a child not even a teenager be 400lbs and nobody intervene before she gets any higher? A 12 year old girl shouldn't even be more than what 150lbs!

So I agree the parents are to blame she didn't go from 100lbs to 600lbs in a couple of years she progressively put on weight everyday for 10 years to hit 600+ at 23!

I feel so sad because girls in particular deal with body image more than ever at a younger age and that poor girl really had no life up until she got the surgery!

I have 8 nieces from 3 to 17 and neither one of them is overweight.

I have 7 siblings and I'm the only one who has dealt with obesity!

I like watching it as well, but I think I mostly watch it to see the process with the surgery ie. rny or sleeve. But, I do like watching the new episodes....

I enjoy watching the show too. Have y’all every wondered why they aren’t having the DS performed? Granted I haven’t seen all the episodes, so maybe they have performed this procedure.

15 hours ago, Emma2.0 said:

I enjoy watching the show too. Have y’all every wondered why they aren’t having the DS performed? Granted I haven’t seen all the episodes, so maybe they have performed this procedure.

You are very right. Most are having RNY BYPASS but few are given VSG sleeve. Mind you I've seen about 30 episodes!

Edited by Mikeyy
Spelling correction

On 02/15/2019 at 22:56, Mikeyy said:

Totally agree I've watched numerous episodes.

I really get angry with some people on the show. Dr now goes so far above and beyond to help these people and then some of them are so rude to him. They are completely selfish and don't even realise how much time and effort be puts in to help them.i read that the producers of the show paid for some of the surgeries so they didn't pay anything and they complete throw away everything after being given a life changing surgery. A few of the ladies on the show were so rude and mean and lying continuously. I feel disgusting when they get surgery and go straight to eating crap, like how hard is it too go to a supermarket? It must cost hundreds a week to buy take out seriously do American people not know how to cook or go to a supermarket? I'm obese sure but I eat at home I may go take out once a month lol I cringe just to think about how much money I'd wasted on junk food each day if they eat like 5 pizzas a day!!

Dr now is amazing he's in his 70s and doing major surgerys every day!

I think it’s important to be mindful that most of the people who are 600lbs got that way due to some serious mental health struggles. I mean, their issues aren’t as simple as, “eats the wrong foods” and are more like “compulsively eats due to past trauma.”

Regarding the enablers on the show, it can be extremely difficult to reason with people who suffer from certain mental health illnesses. It’s also exhausting to constantly fight someone else’s battle for them.

I give anyone that goes on that show a lot of credit for opening their lives up for public consumption and ridicule in exchange for *maybe* having a shot at a healthy life.

I am with i love that show

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Can’t watch it. I find it so horrendous

I have become obsessed with it too! I don't have a surgery date yet, but I've been binge-watching on the weekends. I just want to hug all the participants. I cheer and clap whenever they have any weight loss. My husband laughs at me because I noticed that the surgery disclaimer is only before the segments with surgeries, so if that segment doesn't have the disclaimer, I'm disappointed.

I love the show!

However my hubby doesnt care for it...therefore I sneak an episode in when I can!

On 2/15/2019 at 8:21 PM, 49Nash said:

Me too!! I don't even have a date yet, but ever since I decided I wanted to have WLS, I've been watching a couple episodes every night. While it's depressing at times, I've come to realize that not only is food a real addiction, it's an addiction that I have. Their candidness about what has gotten them to where they are has helped me to recognize some of those same feelings in myself that I wasn't able to see before or verbalize. I'm really thinking about finding a psychologist to talk to regularly so that I can talk through some of those issues.