Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Would I Be If I Weren't Fat?

Read this article today. I can identify with many things written here. Wanted to share with you folks!

https://humanparts.medium.com/the-ever-shrinking-world-of-fat-people-d6d31f582847

This does make me think - who am I going to be after I lose this weight?

I so use joking as a way to cope with my weight now. For instance....I shop at Lane Giant, not Lane Bryant. And I've even found myself calling this surgery "my fat surgery".

1 hour ago, Emmy J said:

Read this article today. I can identify with many things written here. Wanted to share with you folks!

https://humanparts.medium.com/the-ever-shrinking-world-of-fat-people-d6d31f582847

This does make me think - who am I going to be after I lose this weight?

I so use joking as a way to cope with my weight now. For instance....I shop at Lane Giant, not Lane Bryant. And I've even found myself calling this surgery "my fat surgery".

Wow, I see myself in much of what she said. I still have a chip on my shoulder how society views obesity/my body as unacceptable.

Who am I now after weight loss? I have the same core values that I had pre-surgery, I have a warped sense of humor that I never want to lose. I can do all the things that my weight stopped me from doing. My health and outlook on life is better.

I don’t see much changing in society. The medias standard of beauty makes me angry. It's more messages that we are not enough. The world is full of judgmental people. After weight loss, you will be judged on other things besides weight.

You will still be you, that is true. But you might be natually more secure in yourself. You would not have been a victim of "fat shaming" , no one would have told you had no right to an earthly life because you were obese. And Fat Shamer has several Siamese twin. brothers, in fact they are quads. There is Economic Shamer- Don't pay any mind to Tubby Thelmika, she is from a lower economic class and didn't want to better herself. They are Dub

There are the Sexless Squad. Oh don't worry too much about Thaddeus or Tina, they are obese, we all know they have no sexual sensations, they got fat didn't they? And that is a facet nobody mentions.

23 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

You will still be you, that is true. But you might be natually more secure in yourself. You would not have been a victim of "fat shaming" , no one would have told you had no right to an earthly life because you were obese.

Might have resulted in a very different personality. I sometimes wonder what kind of a person I would've been. (Well, not too often as thinking about this is somehow quite depressing.)

I would have been a much better student, gotten better grades, been able to go to college and maybe have the confidence to pursue a fulfilling career. I’m not unhappy with how my life has turned out at all, but my weight definitely impacted my life in a lot of ways. I can’t change that now, but I can make the most of the future and make myself proud.

I had avoided this thread, but let me share what I had posted elsewhere:

"Who would I be if I weren't fat...I had actually avoided this 'thread' when I first came across it on another social media site. I had immediately thought of the times I had allowed being overweight/fat/obese/heavy (whatever is your preferred term) to interfere in my life, my happiness, my career, my relationships. I don't share personal well, but I will share a couple of more recent experiences.

My then current partner was of average weight,I wasn't of course, and I use to get embarrassed with public displays of affection, I mean what would people think of a slim to average man, who was pinching my backside as we walked upstairs or out of a restaurant, when I was very clearly overweight. While I am putting it out there, I had let how I think about me impact on our sex life, here was a man who clearly adored me, but I continually pushed him away.

I was lined up for an job interview (only one of two people to be interviewed) which would see me progress in my chosen profession. It was with a well known company, I had a vision of 'beautiful' people who would work there, and that wasn't me because I was fat. I called the contact and made my excuses, I lied as to why I couldn't make the interview....I very much regret that, I regretted it as soon I put the phone down.

So I have had an ESG, and I am losing weight, I still have a ways to go, but no longer will I allow my obesity to hold me back, where I go to from here will be my own responsibility and no more excuses. The sad thing is I have always been an advocate of the saying...what anyone else thinks of me is none of my business...I wasn't walking the talk, but I will be from now on!"

Edited by 2shea