Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wish I never let sweets back in

Egh. So disgusted with myself. At some point I nibbled on some chocolate and that just opened a gate. I've snagged a couple mini Milky Ways from my boss's desk. Had myself a small slice of rice crispy treat I was making for my daughter's Valentine's party. Ate 3 chocolates from a box of Russell Stovers in the lounge. I need to stop! HELP! Any motivation or tips on how to do so welcome!

I hear ya! I was doing so well completely avoiding them and then I "treated" myself to a semi-health Protein based chocolate bar but that just opened the door back up to snacking. I'm going cold-turkey no sweets again!!!

47 minutes ago, KCgirl061 said:

Egh. So disgusted with myself. At some point I nibbled on some chocolate and that just opened a gate. I've snagged a couple mini Milky Ways from my boss's desk. Had myself a small slice of rice crispy treat I was making for my daughter's Valentine's party. Ate 3 chocolates from a box of Russell Stovers in the lounge. I need to stop! HELP! Any motivation or tips on how to do so welcome!

• Once you add sugars and carbs back in your diet, you crave them more.
  • Ugh it's difficult to detox off it and start over. I have to kick my discipline in and accept that I am going to feel crappy and cranky for a while until it’s out of my system.
  • I get temptation out of the house
  • I keep healthy sweet and salty options on hand
  • I set goals and join weight loss challenges for motivation and accountability
  • I log my crappy choices.

detox is difficult! I've had to do it a couple of times after the holidays! too many temptations, but it can be done. I've even done the pouch reset a couple of times too, to get back on track.

FB_IMG_1502421495565.thumb.jpg.9a7fdd9e2da519e1afce0175cfe68d08.jpg

2 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:
  • Once you add sugars and carbs back in your diet, you crave them more.
  • Ugh it's difficult to detox off it and start over. I have to kick my discipline in and accept that I am going to feel crappy and cranky for a while until it’s out of my system.
  • I get temptation out of the house
  • I keep healthy sweet and salty options on hand
  • I set goals and join weight loss challenges for motivation and accountability
  • I log my crappy choices.

What kinds of healthy sweet and salty options do you eat? I'd like to maybe keep Quest bars around for when I want chocolate but maybe thats just keeping me from detoxing completely.

53 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I hear ya! I was doing so well completely avoiding them and then I "treated" myself to a semi-health Protein based chocolate bar but that just opened the door back up to snacking. I'm going cold-turkey no sweets again!!!

It's SO hard! Right now chocolate is all I can think about!

46 minutes ago, KCgirl061 said:

What kinds of healthy sweet and salty options do you eat? I'd like to maybe keep Quest bars around for when I want chocolate but maybe thats just keeping me from detoxing completely.

I am not a fan of shakes and bars. They never keep me full. I can consume healthy whole foods, keep within my calories and feel more satisfied.

(make sure my suggestions fit your plan)

Sweet:

• I eat my meal first and then I dip strawberries or apple in sugar free Hershey’s cholate or Carmel Syrup. Eating my meal first keeps my fruit in smaller portions.
  • Dannon light N fit yogurt. Love the Carmel apple pie flavor. Great calories and Protein count.
  • salad greens, shredded chicken, berries with skinny girl raspberry vinaigrette (Optional a bit of crumbled blue cheese and deiced pecans)

Salty:

• Jerky,
  • chicken fajitas or taco salad (no tortilla)
  • Scrambled egg or egg whites. with jimmy dean turkey sausage, green peppers and onion. Tip egg whites are lower calorie and higher protein count. Fills more space in your sleeve and no guilt. lol

This is my dietician’s recipe website for food ideas:

https://insidekarenskitchen.com/recipes/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

2 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

Give them up again. You may need to practice saying no thanks. Even to yourself.

If it’s chocolate maybe you can substitute it for a healthy chocolate .. like my Protein Shake is chocolate and it taste just like chocolate milk, only has 1g sugar and 30g Protein. Or try getting chewable Calcium or Multivitamins that are chocolate, my surgeon recommended me them and they taste just like chocolate. It’s hard, but not impossible you got this!!

I'm in the honeymoon phase right now. 30 days sugar free and I am going to do everything in my power never to test out sugar to see if I dump. I know that if I let it back into my life I'll be a slave to it. Right now every time I say no to sugar it forms new neuropathways in my brain and with enough time my brain will stop telling me to eat sugar because it thinks of it as a reward. Its like picking up a crack pipe for me anyway, I wont go back to sugar or desert like things even if theyre sugar free because I need my brain to stop making that association. In time it will but for now I have to fight the urge to eat the chocolate in my kitchen because I know it would just start the addiction all over again (even if I didnt dump)

On 15. Februar 2019 at 1:54 PM, KCgirl061 said:

I need to stop! HELP! Any motivation or tips on how to do so welcome!

Did your treatment team ever talk about rigid vs. flexible control when it comes to eating behavior?

On 02/16/2019 at 15:27, summerset said:

Did your treatment team ever talk about rigid vs. flexible control when it comes to eating behavior?

My team hasn’t mentioned that but I’m new on this journey . I googled and most of what I read was from a study done in 2005. But from my own experience I know it’s easier for me personally to say no to that piece of chocolate (or birthday cake) than the alternative. It opens a floodgate of cravings and if not cravings then the mindset “well that didn’t make me gain” so I let snacking and bad choices creep back in. That in a nutshell is how I gained back every pound I’ve ever lost.

I have a shocking sweet tooth and generally do much better if I don't go there in the first place, but try to have an exit strategy if I do. For instance if I want something sweet, I now buy a packet of what it is....take it to work, take one, leave the rest in the lunch room for everyone else. Sometimes this works, sometimes all I can think about is heading back to the lunch room to grab another one or two before they all disappear.

I am definitely not a moderator do much better when abstaining. I am trying to work on other ways to get sweet from other foods...blueberries, yoghurt, small handful of nuts with a few raisins even a small drink of skim milk. Sometimes I find that having something like Protein or high fibre with something sweet helps keeps further sweet cravings at bay.

It sucks! I’ve done this a few times and it’s absolutely true-once you start, you crave it. There’s no easy fix, you just have to detox. Get it out of your system 100%