Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strong meds will they absorb

I'm curious if anybody knows first hand? I have a kidney condition I've had all my life.

I take serious meds span K potassium 600mg X 15/day

Sodium bicarbonate 840mg X 10/day

If I miss my meds for even a week my potassium levels plummets and I can be hospitalized.

My condition is rare it's hard to explain but that's what I know.

I'm not sure if there will be any issues with a RNY BYPASS since we're told to take Vitamins and supplements anyway and mine are just real strong script only!!

I know I'll have to ask surgeon when time comes in just curious if anybody had any issues before???

Try asking a PharmD. Pharmacists, like my daughter, study for 5 years in addition to a year of residency. My sons, medical doctors, know very little about meds compared to her. If you have a specific medication to ask about, pharmacists are often able to look up information about absorption. Don't forget to mention your surgery since your surgery may be significant in terms of what parts of your digestive system are affected. Many "Schools of Pharmacy" also run Medication Helplines that you can call for information such as this. Where do you live? I might be able to provide you with a helpline number to call.

Well, d'oh. I now see that you live in Australia. Do I feel like an idiot!

I still suggest you ask a pharmacist, just not one HERE (in the US)!😀

The main issue with meds and the RNY isn't so much their strength as whether they are an extended release packaging, and what type of ER it is - whether it is to break down in the stomach or in the intestines, how long they break down, etc. So asking the surgeon or a pharmacist who is familiar with RNY needs is a good start. It may take some experimentation to get things right.

My wife is also potassium deficient and for years (since her DS) has used a liquid suspension for her potassium, mixed in with tho orange or tangerine juice (high potassium there) to make it tolerable. After a while her juice morphed into a smoothie (not recommended for weight loss, though!) with the juice, frozen strawberries (more potassium), a banana (more potassium) and sometimes a kiwi (ditto) or something else, along with her Calcium supplement. Then as the liquid potassium suspension got prohibitive in price (kooky US pharma industry) tried crushing the pills and dissolving them in the juice/smoothie and that worked fine as far as her labs go.

So, you may have to play with things a bit, but should be able to work out a solution.

6 minutes ago, RickM said:

The main issue with meds and the RNY isn't so much their strength as whether they are an extended release packaging, and what type of ER it is - whether it is to break down in the stomach or in the intestines, how long they break down, etc. So asking the surgeon or a pharmacist who is familiar with RNY needs is a good start. It may take some experimentation to get things right.

My wife is also potassium deficient and for years (since her DS) has used a liquid suspension for her potassium, mixed in with tho orange or tangerine juice (high potassium there) to make it tolerable. After a while her juice morphed into a smoothie (not recommended for weight loss, though!) with the juice, frozen strawberries (more potassium), a banana (more potassium) and sometimes a kiwi (ditto) or something else, along with her Calcium supplement. Then as the liquid potassium suspension got prohibitive in price (kooky US pharma industry) tried crushing the pills and dissolving them in the juice/smoothie and that worked fine as far as her labs go.

So, you may have to play with things a bit, but should be able to work out a solution.

I've found an article on my meds it's written as slow release/sustained release medication and I've read potassium breaks down and absorbs in the small intestine

More than 85 percent of the potassium you consume is absorbed in your body, mostly in the small intestine.

49 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

I've found an article on my meds it's written as slow release/sustained release medication and I've read potassium breaks down and absorbs in the small intestine

More than 85 percent of the potassium you consume is absorbed in your body, mostly in the small intestine.

That's my understanding - that it is typically issued in a time release tablet. That's why my wife went with the liquid form after her DS, which is more malabsorbing than the RNY, but dissolving the pills in liquid has worked just as well for her, so you should be able to work it out one way or another.

4 minutes ago, RickM said:

That's my understanding - that it is typically issued in a time release tablet. That's why my wife went with the liquid form after her DS, which is more malabsorbing than the RNY, but dissolving the pills in liquid has worked just as well for her, so you should be able to work it out one way or another.

I'll have to talk to the surgeon but I'm only going with RNY which isn't as restrictive with absorption and my meds are high dose so hopefully be okay thanks for your input

FOUND out i can get effervescent potassium on script so it dissolves in Water :D

This ia also a concern for me. I have chronic pain and i NEED my medication (no slow release, though) to be absorbed.

3 minutes ago, Simples said:

This ia also a concern for me. I have chronic pain and i NEED my medication (no slow release, though) to be absorbed.

I went to my local pharmacist