Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coworker Flat Out Asked If I Had WLS

18 hours ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

Today a coworker just flat out asked if I had WLS. I haven't told anyone, and want to keep this private. I told her no, and I felt a little weird about denying it. I was really uncomfortable and I thought it was rude. She is very gossipy and I'm sure now she will be discussing this with others. I wish people would mind their own business.

Some people are just downright CRAZY!! Bottom line, they say and do all sorts of things. After I thought about it for a long time, I decided to just tell my co-workers because most of them gossip so much, they will even make up crap to talk about smh...so since I beat them to the punch they started telling some of our regular customers OMGEEEEE...I was too outdone when one co-worker said that so and so customer wants to see you, I'm like for what?? When I went out front to see what she wanted, she said wow you look great, how much weight have you lost... I told her thank you and said out loud so they could all hear "You all are pathetic" my younger sister works with me and she is so sweet and shy, I'm total opposite...she says all the time to me that I say what people are thinking but won't say it out loud. If people are bold enough to ask me something crazy that's none of their business then I have the right to respond with a CRAZY answer. LOL

Don't let them get to you, it is going to continue happening because inquiring minds really want to be noisy. The more weight you lose the more confident that you will have and those insane comments/questions will mean nothing to you. ((Hugs))

Edited by Wanda247

Sorry, but this is flat-out hilarious! Did they think your modest clothing was because you were fat?

Hahaha no I think they're just imagining what they would do if they were fat and then got skinny. Oh bless!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks everyone. It's a weird thing. Intellectually I feel no shame for WLS. It was an excellent decision and I should have done it a long time ago. I would never judge anyone else for doing it. Yet, part of me does feel embarrassed that I couldn't do it without intervention. food is an addiction for me and I don't want to discuss something that private with others. Would an alcoholic or drug addict be expected to casually discuss their issues with others?

No they would not as neither should a child abuse/ molest victim, I still believed my groomer/society that it was my fault for being so sexually appealing. Now from my adult knowledge, just hope appealing is a little flat-chested informed figure being? But we were taught it was all little Pennie or Billy's fault, often we were threatened with the death of a pet or baby sibling. My friend who I call Billy here, his baby brother was threatened. Why would. adult not be believed? He had killed many animals by many diverse methods before. It is difficult even to talk to help people or law enforcement, for in our day small children were not believed.💦😪😥😪

I'm sorry this happened to you, its honestly none of her business. Next time if anyone asks if you had WLS I would respond with "Have you?" 😝

On 2/15/2019 at 4:43 AM, ummyasmin said:

Then I have friends who tell me how exciting it will be to go cloths shopping and start imagining me in short skirts and tank tops (they're projecting) whilst I gently remind them that I wear long clothes and a head over in public and WLS won't change that

Lol Ive had friends say the same thing. Oh and a bit off topic but one time a coworker and I were talking about our shopping over the weekend and she was describing the clothes she bought and I mentioned a few items I bought as well. I just said they were blouses and mentioned the color/pattern and the occasion I bought them for and she says "oh, sounds like they might look flattering." I was so thrown off..

That is so classless and tacky!! Sorry you had to go through that.

On 02/14/2019 at 19:13, Swanton_Bomb said:

Today a coworker just flat out asked if I had WLS. I haven't told anyone, and want to keep this private. I told her no, and I felt a little weird about denying it. I was really uncomfortable and I thought it was rude. She is very gossipy and I'm sure now she will be discussing this with others. I wish people would mind their own business.

Same thing happened to me. And don’t feel bad about not telling her. Last time i checked, she’s not the IRS so you don’t owe her any sort of explanation lol.

I had someone do that too. I flat out told her no because she was rude and gossipy also, and my health is genuinely none of her business. I’ve since gotten promoted and changed job locations, so nobody even knows i used to be fat before. Nobody questions how much i eat or any of that nonsense. They treat me exactly the same as everyone else.

10 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I'm sorry this happened to you, its honestly none of her business. Next time if anyone asks if you had WLS I would respond with "Have you?" 😝

OMG, that's perfect!

Nosy Nancy: "Have you have weight loss surgery?"

Us: "No, why? Are you thinking about having it done?"

I was very honest with my close friends and even my fifth grade students from the start. I didn't want anyone wondering if I was ill, so I told them of my plan. Everyone has been so supportive! Since I have worked at the same place for 30 years, my friends have been with me through thick and thin, and thick and hopefully thin for the rest of my life!

What most people don't know about our surgeries is that the surgery itself is not what makes you lose weight. It is our new healthy choices and lifestyle that makes that happen. As my doctor said...this surgery is only a tool. You have to choose how to use it.

18 hours ago, J'sJourney said:

OMG, that's perfect!

Nosy Nancy: "Have you have weight loss surgery?"

Us: "No, why? Are you thinking about having it done?"

Hahaha love it!

I get asked this more times than I thought I would. People even ask me this in front of other people! They will even preface it with “ It is none of my business but did you .....”. I feel like saying, if you know it’s none of your business why are you asking such a rude or personal question?
Other rude things people ask/say to me...wow, you must need a lot of plastic surgery now, it’s too bad you lost so much of your chest, etc
It was shocking to me how people that barely know me feel so at ease commenting on my body, and most of these things are things I would not say to a dear friend, let alone someone I barely know.
At any rate, it’s no ones damn business what you did, you have no obligation to discuss your medical treatment with anyone.
No boobs.135158.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/14/2019 at 9:18 PM, insta_adventurer said:

Yeah. I would have said, “well, I don’t really think my health or medical history is really any of your business.” Or ask her if she’s had any Botox or fillers lately and let her feel how over the line such questions are.

I know, crazy advice coming from Ms. Open Book, but folks have a right to go through this process however they are comfortable in doing so.

LOL! Along those same lines, I was going to suggest asking her if she's had a colonoscopy lately, and to fill you in on all the details.

99% of the people I work with are men so questions about weight loss are rare, but when I do get the question I say, "Not that it's ANY of your business, but I had to have intestinal surgery to correct a serious medical issue. I'm better now." If they press for more information, I literally tell them that I'm not discussing it with them since it's a private medical issue and go about my day.