Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I eating too much?

I am 6 mos post op and noticing a large increase in hunger and what feels like a loss of restriction. I am wondering how much any of you were eating, or how much i should be able to eat at 6 mos out? I know each person and stomach is different, just trying to get a gauge of where the average might be so I know if i should be concerned.

Hi my name is Joe Ganino. I had RNY surgery in March 2018. In August I started riding a bike everyday. I now do 100 miles a week, so I spend a lot of energy exercising. Keep that in mind. My heaviest weight was 394, I currently weight 210. I average 1000 calories a day. I don’t eat red meat, breads, pastas, crackers, chips, popcorn, grapes, raisins, fried, fatty or sugary foods of any kind per my Surgeon. My daily goal is 1000 and 100 grams of Protein. Last Saturday I road 51 miles at the Tour de Palm Springs in one day. I did not eat anymore or less. I burned 3100 calories on that one ride. I hope this helps. Also I log everything I eat on my fitness pal every single day.

@blackhawkpro Wow, congrats on you amazing success. I am not nearly as active as you, thats for sure. I haven't completely cut anything aside from bread out of my diet. I do however, make sure i get a minimum of 65 oz of Protein, 80 oz of Water, and keep my carbs very low. I have recently increased the volume of protein I eat due to increased hunger, hoping it would help. At the same time, im worried about stretching my stomach as I do increase volume.

Edited by Chrisb428

I'm not as far out as you, around 5 months. I'm consuming around 4 ounces at each meal unless I'm eating veggies, and then I can eat a lot more. I'm getting in around 120 ounces of Water a day as well.

I haven't had any problems with hunger yet, but I am starting to have some cravings. Sometimes they're kind of hard to ride out but I'm doing ok.

I use an app to track everything I consume and right now I'm averaging 700-900 calories a day and 60-65 grams of Protein. My surgeon isn't worried about any of the other macros, only protein, and water of course.

1 hour ago, Kara Eckel said:

I'm not as far out as you, around 5 months. I'm consuming around 4 ounces at each meal unless I'm eating veggies, and then I can eat a lot more. I'm getting in around 120 ounces of Water a day as well.

I haven't had any problems with hunger yet, but I am starting to have some cravings. Sometimes they're kind of hard to ride out but I'm doing ok.

I use an app to track everything I consume and right now I'm averaging 700-900 calories a day and 60-65 grams of Protein. My surgeon isn't worried about any of the other macros, only Protein, and Water of course.

I'm at a year out. I have the same macro range as you. I eat 1cup of food by volume per meal (2-3oz protein+1-3oz al dente veg+1tsp equivalent fat serving per meal).

I eat 3 meals + 1-2 Snacks of about 100-150cals/day.

60-74g protein

<30g net carbs

700-900 cals

(oh I'm 56, female, 5'4", and walk/jog 6 days per week for 1 hour per day. I've lost 145lbs in about 18 months.)

Edited by FluffyChix

Im 7 months post surgery and am eating around 6-8 ounces a meal 4x a day. Down 124 lbs so far and I usually stick to around 1500 calories a day and 120 grams of Protein to keep up from going too Calorie deficient with working out. I had a big problem immediately after surgery with not losing any weight post surgery at 700 calories a day, I do get hungry a lot still but just drink some Water or if that doesnt work then Powerade zero. Unfortunately the answer to if most people get hungry a lot is it varies from person to person, just find what works for you and forget what the other people say, there's plenty of people on this forum who think 1500 calories is way to high but unless you arent moving at all in a day its what you need to keep your body from going in to preservation mode

23 hours ago, Biggedelt said:

Im 7 months post surgery and am eating around 6-8 ounces a meal 4x a day. Down 124 lbs so far and I usually stick to around 1500 calories a day and 120 grams of Protein to keep up from going too Calorie deficient with working out. I had a big problem immediately after surgery with not losing any weight post surgery at 700 calories a day, I do get hungry a lot still but just drink some Water or if that doesnt work then Powerade zero. Unfortunately the answer to if most people get hungry a lot is it varies from person to person, just find what works for you and forget what the other people say, there's plenty of people on this forum who think 1500 calories is way to high but unless you arent moving at all in a day its what you need to keep your body from going in to preservation mode

Thank you for your reply. I need to try and up my Protein and see of that helps. I have only been doing 3 meals a day also. Maybe i should consider breaking my calories up into 4 meals instead.

2.5 years out. Work out 1-2 hours per day - hard. (I am a competitive athlete at age 57). Eat about 110 gram Protein and 100 grams carb daily to about 1500 calories. (It keeps my muscle mass up - getting the carbs in as been tough.) I eat three meals and two Snacks. At six months, I was eating about 800-1000 calories with 100 grams of protein with 3 meals and 2 snacks.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:20 PM, Diana_in_Philly said:

2.5 years out. Work out 1-2 hours per day - hard. (I am a competitive athlete at age 57). Eat about 110 gram Protein and 100 grams carb daily to about 1500 calories. (It keeps my muscle mass up - getting the carbs in as been tough.) I eat three meals and two Snacks. At six months, I was eating about 800-1000 calories with 100 grams of Protein with 3 meals and 2 Snacks.

I have trouble fitting in my 65 grams of protein, coukdnt imagine almost doubling it! Awesome job and congrats on your success!

10 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

I have trouble fitting in my 65 grams of Protein, coukdnt imagine almost doubling it! Awesome job and congrats on your success!

Part of being able to do it is a shake in the morning - a scoop of Protein Powder, a cup of Fairlife Milk and a handful of frozen fruit in the Ninja - that's 30g protein for the protein powder and 15 for Fairlife so 45 grams right there. It's being smart about how to eat. One snack is either Oikos Triple Zero or Skyr Icelandic - 13-15 grams of protein right there. Four ounces of chicken at lunch - another 25 grams. Know your numbers and use them.

43 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

Part of being able to do it is a shake in the morning - a scoop of Protein Powder, a cup of Fairlife Milk and a handful of frozen fruit in the Ninja - that's 30g Protein for the protein powder and 15 for Fairlife so 45 grams right there. It's being smart about how to eat. One snack is either Oikos Triple Zero or Skyr Icelandic - 13-15 grams of protein right there. Four ounces of chicken at lunch - another 25 grams. Know your numbers and use them.

I might have to add some shakes back in. My doctor and dietician want all protein to come from food sources (no shakes, bars, powders) after 4 mos.

12 hours ago, Chrisb428 said:

I might have to add some shakes back in. My doctor and dietician want all Protein to come from food sources (no shakes, bars, powders) after 4 mos.

FWIW - I have tried to eat 120 grams of protein from just food sources and I cannot do it. I cannot stomach that much food. Here's my average day:

shake with milk and fruit - 40g

Skyr Icelandic Provisions yogurt 13g

chicken on greens for lunch 25g

2 ounces cheese 14g

5 ounces beef 37g

So, that puts me over my 120, which if I subbed out 2 eggs for the shake in the morning, I'd be way short. If you look at what I'm eating, I am getting the majority of my protein from food sources - but I've been working with a sports RD who has experience with bariatrics to hone my macros because I train about 1.5 hours every day (hard -- 800 or more calories burned in a session) and I'm trying to add muscle but not cannibalize what I have. Trying to get my body fat down to about 25% - sitting around 30% now. Certainly, it is doable, but what I think your team is saying is don't replace two or more meals a day with shakes and bars.

21 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

FWIW - I have tried to eat 120 grams of Protein from just food sources and I cannot do it. I cannot stomach that much food. Here's my average day:

shake with milk and fruit - 40g

Skyr Icelandic Provisions yogurt 13g

chicken on greens for lunch 25g

2 ounces cheese 14g

5 ounces beef 37g

So, that puts me over my 120, which if I subbed out 2 eggs for the shake in the morning, I'd be way short. If you look at what I'm eating, I am getting the majority of my protein from food sources - but I've been working with a sports RD who has experience with bariatrics to hone my macros because I train about 1.5 hours every day (hard -- 800 or more calories burned in a session) and I'm trying to add muscle but not cannibalize what I have. Trying to get my body fat down to about 25% - sitting around 30% now. Certainly, it is doable, but what I think your team is saying is don't replace two or more meals a day with shakes and bars.

Do you get any other food with the meal when you eat 5oz of beef, Diana? Just wondered how big your meal is by volume?

On 2/14/2019 at 5:51 AM, Chrisb428 said:

I am 6 mos post op and noticing a large increase in hunger and what feels like a loss of restriction. I am wondering how much any of you were eating, or how much i should be able to eat at 6 mos out? I know each person and stomach is different, just trying to get a gauge of where the average might be so I know if i should be concerned.

6 months out I was at 900 to 1000 calories. (I’m a sleeve) Others here with Bypass have better advice on volume and calories for your type of surgery.

I think most of us feel restriction be come less as you progress out from surgery. You may want to make some changes to manage hunger.

• Keep with in your weight loss calories and macros. The numbers are specific to you.
  • Spread meals out 3 meals 2 Snacks. Can increase it to 5 or 6 and still stay at your calories/macros)
  • For me, I’m more satisfied on real food than Protein Shakes.
  • Eat plenty of fibrous veggies to fill your extra room.
  • Keep healthy sweet and salty items on hand

On 2/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, FluffyChix said:

Do you get any other food with the meal when you eat 5oz of beef, Diana? Just wondered how big your meal is by volume?

Usually with dinner there's a salad or green veg. What I'm showing there is purely my Protein. I have to force myself to get to 100g carbs, but if I don't my athletic performance starts to suffer - so there may be rice or quinoa or a potato at dinner. Or a few tablespoons of granola in with the yogurt. But last night, I had 6 ounces of rib eye steak - left over from a night or two before and that was it. I didn't feel like anything green and was full after the steak. I always eat my protein first then if there's room I eat the rest.