Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was there a pivotal moment that made you say I’m doing this?

I know the number one reason for wanting WLS should be to be healthier but was there ever a pivotal moment for you that wasn’t health related?

We were on vacation in Mexico this past January and we went on an excursion that was to be a horse back ride up a mountain to a waterfall. When we got to the point of getting our horses assigned the handler looked me up and down and walked over and brought back a mule, as in pack mule. I looked around and watched and everyone was assigned beautiful horses except for myself and one other heavier man who also got a mule. It was obvious why we were assigned the mules.

As I’m typing this it’s sounds so shallow and vane, but it really was embarrassing for me. Not to mention when the company sent us the photos and here I am almost dwarfing the poor animal sitting on it. It’s a little bit funny for me now but at the moment it wasn’t.

Just wondering if anyone else felt like sharing. Maybe it was a moment, photo or a comment from someone that made you say “I’ve had it”.

Imnotpicky
Surgery date: 3/1/19 for GS
5’4” 210lbs

I am so sorry that happened to you. I would have been very self conscious and would have had a hard time enjoying the experience. I have had tons of things no one else would realize but years ago an in law made a "fat" joke referring to me and it still bothers me. For me it's more wanting to not have my kids be embarrassed and me feeling comfortable in my own skin, not hiding in photos. I am looking forward to actually having a family photo done in a year. Something we have never done.

You made me laugh!!. There is no need to be embarrassed, a picture is all it takes at times. The good news is that you are on your way to a healthier you and thanks for sharing.

For me I was tired of losing and gaining weight and my blood pressure keep getting out of control with the more weight I gain. I've always been able to control my weight until I had my daughter 9 years ago, no matter how many gym and personal trainer I go to the weight wont shake. I spoke to a couple of people who had WLS and they couldn't be happier. I discussed it with my older boys and they are happy with my choice. Lastly I missed my size 10 clothes. I am looking forward to a nice summer where my daughter and I can do a lot of outdoor activities.

Edited by SusieQ2019

For me it was my brother kept "teasing" me about "our" (his and mine) need to lose weight and being fat. It bothered me because he's been nitpicking my weight for several years. And then I thought about if I had an emergency and an ambulance had to get me, I wanted to be sure the paramedics could carry me out!

I saw a very, very obese lady on a mobility scooter struggling up a steep hill. It looked like the scooter wasn't going to make it - and what would she do if it broke down?

I just thought - I'll end up like that if I don't do something now.

It's weird how such a little thing made the decision for me. Not my partner's heart attack, not my worsening health, not my doctor's warnings - but a physical representation of what my future would be.

Scary!

For me, besides the health issues, was not being able to fit on some of the rides at Disneyworld and universal Orlando. We took our kids ages 7 and 9 there in October and it was beyond frustrating and embarrassing not being able to go on everything with them. Plus the amount of walking that you do was almost unbearable for me. I have been obese their entire childhood so far... and that's all about to change!!! Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

My "I've had it" moment was when I had to get my annual physical that my employer requires. It took 3 scales before they found one that would weigh me. The very next day I went to a Bariatric Info Session, and I signed up to meet with the surgeon.

I think for me it was the annual tubing trip I went on this past summer. I couldn't really have fun because I felt so self conscious, and I am just tired of that. I am ready to be able to (at least somewhat) embrace my figure, and not feel so disgusting.

My pivotal moment was thinking this yo yo dieting has to stop. Every January 1st I was on a new diet. Now that I look back some of the diets were crazy and unsafe. I practically passed out at work on a 500 calorie juice fast. I just got mad and decided I can't keep mistreating my body like this.

4 hours ago, looly said:

I saw a very, very obese lady on a mobility scooter struggling up a steep hill. It looked like the scooter wasn't going to make it - and what would she do if it broke down?

I just thought - I'll end up like that if I don't do something now.

It's weird how such a little thing made the decision for me. Not my partner's heart attack, not my worsening health, not my doctor's warnings - but a physical representation of what my future would be.

Scary!

My breast reduction surgery was like that! I was at a church fete and saw this elderly lady with massive boobs that were hanging way down. Her blouse was straining at the buttons, but was loose everywhere else on her. She kept pulling her cardigan over her boobs in a self-conscious gesture, even though it was summer. I just knew that would be me some day if I didnt get the reduction - I got it 5 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did... until this, LOL.

Mine was a series of moments that took place over last summer. My family was on vacation and I started sweating profusely (wasn't necessarily abnormal and we were in an extremely humid area) while we were out and about doing a lot of walking and I started feeling terrible, bad enough that I agreed to go to a clinic to get checked out which if you knew me is saying a lot. They rushed me through because they thought the big sweaty guy was having congestive heart failure, which I wasn't, but I was instead in the early stages of pneumonia. That got me scared though and also since my mother died at 54 of congestive heart failure. Then about a month later I was unable to go zip lining with my family and then they didn't get to go white Water rafting because they didn't want to do it without me. Got back and started looking into my options. At that time I had never even heard of gastric sleeve surgery. After a couple of weeks of intense research and pretty much finding the end of the web and youtube on anything involving gastric sleeve I made my mind up and chose a local doctor and now about 6 months later here we are and thank God!

Seeing videos of my brother taking his daughter to swimming lessons and realizing I’d really miss out if I couldn’t bring our (then-hypothetical) child to swimming lessons.

A few months ago I went on a business trip with a colleague and didn’t fit in my coach seat. My co-worker was kind enough to lift the arm rest, but I was so embarrassed to be in her space that I barely moved during the four hour flight. The next day, I signed up for the info session through my surgeon’s office.

For me, I don't think I had a true "a-ha" moment. As my weight creeped up, I kept developing more health issues and had to accommodate my growing size for nearly everything in my life. It's funny how we just seem to sort of accept these things as a new reality.

Then, one day my husband and I had tickets to a concert at a local arena. We were walking from the parking area to the entrance, which was a block or so away and required us to cross a couple of intersections. The group I was with walked passed a man standing near the corner under some trees. The man yelled out some remark about people needing to lose weight. Whether the remark was meant for me or not, I don't know for sure. BUT, it FELT like he was talking about me. His remarks made me feel ashamed and really bad about myself. This was an entirely new experience for me. I had never had a stranger say ANYTHING to me about my size.

I can't say that I went into action right away or anything, but it sure got me thinking about how far I had let myself go and that I had to do something about it. A few months later, I started seriously contemplating surgery. So, I'd say that jerk on the corner of the street was my catalyst. I still think about him today, but not in the same way as before where he made me feel bad. I sort of look back on that memory and use it as a kind of motivational factor.

For me it was being able to keep up with the Scouts in my Son's Troop. I was always the caboose of backpacking trips and Hikes. Other times I'd stay behind at base camp because it would be to much. Now my only issue is the meal planning for camp.