Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Persistent low vitamin D3

Hey guys,

I'm at the 10 month mark and just got my third round of blood tests for Vitamins done. Consistently, I am low in Vitamin D3, which I have a hard time understanding. After it came up low last time (about 3 months ago) they gave me a prescription for 50,000UI to take for 12 days, and ever since then I've been taking three 5,000ui caplets EVERY DAY.... according to the bottle, one 5k caplet is 1250% of daily requirements, so I'm taking 3750% of my daily requirement every day! Seems like overkill. But my blood test showed my D3 was LOWER than it was 3 months ago. NOTE: I live in San Diego, so even though it's winter, I get more sun than most.

I'm asking the question here because the bariatric department for my medical plan mostly deals with sleeve and bypass, and doesn't have much experience with DS, SADis or SIPS, so they can't really tell me if this is normal or weird or what. They're response is to have me do another round of the 50,000 ui prescription.

So, do any of you DS'ers have any knowledge around D3 deficiency? Is this a common thing? or is this just specific to me?

I wish I knew more but my Vitamin D levels are 17. They were as low as 8 before surgery. I’m on a weekly prescription along with ADEK Vitamins. Drs office is scratching their heads as well

My level is 17 as well. "Normal" is between 30 and 100.

Is d3 reading different than d?

Hahaha. I dont know. LMGTFY

Difference Between Vitamin D & Vitamin D3

Written by Sandi Busch; Updated December 14, 2018
Difference Between Vitamin D & Vitamin D3

Look at the label on any bottle of vitamin D and you’ll likely see vitamin D-3 listed as the primary ingredient. That’s because multiple forms of the vitamin exist, and D-3 is most common for use in supplements. Once they’re inside your body, all forms of vitamin D have the same effect.

@disco stu You say you got a Rx from your doctor for Vitamin D. Are these green oval capsules?

Yes. 50,000 iu and I take one weekly

Have you tried a chewable? Maybe the capsule form is an issue?

I take chewable D3 tablets, my D3 was chronically low preoperative but has been normal.

Haven't tried chewables.

I'm supposed to take these 50,000 ones once ever two days for total of twelve. I haven't picked them up yet, and I don't rremember what they look like last time....

2 hours ago, Postop said:

@disco stu You say you got a Rx from your doctor for Vitamin D. Are these green oval capsules?

2 hours ago, Suwade said:

Yes. 50,000 iu and I take one weekly

@disco stuGlad you posted as we need to get your numbers where they should be. As I'm almost 14 years out, this is a problem many of us have faced. 🙂

Regarding the green ovals: That's what I thought they were giving you. I could tell by your low number . Assuming you have had the traditional DS, these green capsules do nothing for us. You need to take dry Vitamin D3 (aka cholicalciferol). You must take it singlely. By that I mean only D can be in the pill or capsule. Some come as A and D together. That's no good for us.

We also can't take gel caps, at all . That Rx you're being given is not for DSers. It won't work. Too many doctors don't realize that Rx blows right through us. You must take a pill or capsule for better absorption. You can find Biotech D3 online. They sell 50,000iu doses. Start with 1per day . If that doesn't pull your numbers up go to 100,000iu (2 pills per day). That's what I take. Others take 150,000 or more, if needed. You'll need to experiment to see how much you need. We all tweak constantly. Also, no chewable anything . At almost a year out you should be doing pills, if you can. Again, better absorption.

Where are you with your Calcium? Are your numbers good? Are you taking citrate or carbonate?

Edited by Postop

Wow @Postop. THis is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get. Thank you.

So you do 100,000 every day? Holy Cr*p! They only want me taking these 50,000 ever other day, so you're quadruple that. interesting point about pill vs gel cap. DIdn't know that, but it kinda makes sense since fat flows through us like sh*t from a duck, so why would something oil based be absorbed?

Calcium in okay. I'm at the bottom of the range, but I'm in range (8.5-10.7). And it's trajecting upward,

6/14/18 . 10/29/18 . 2/8/19

8.7 . 8.8 . 9.0

I forget what I'm taking (giant cosco bottle) but it's in a pill form, so I guess thats a good thing. I'll look into the Biotech D3. Thanks again for the advice!

@disco stuSo glad I could help.

Just make sure that your costco Calcium is citrate. We don’t absorb carbonate well . And you’re absolutely right about why gelcaps don’t work for us, we just don’t absorb the oil well enough.

Ooh, 9 is good for your calcium. I almost never get that high, I’m always in the 8s and you’d freak if I told you how much I take each day 🙃

Feel free to ask anything , we’ve all been through it and like to pay it forward. Plus, I sometimes have issues and there are a couple of DSers who had their surgery a few years before me so sometimes I need their input.

@Postop I wanted to follow up on your comment about chewables. What's the issue there? Gummy vs non-gummy?

I ask because I'm taking the Bariatric Advantage chewables now. The things are specifically designed for bariatric patients, but are you saying they're no good for DS'ers?

thanks

@disco stu gummies and chewables aren't recommended as we just don't absorb enough from them. However, some do take them. Just ensure they're keeping your numbers up. If not, you'll want to switch from them.

BTW, I suggest keeping your blood reports from preop onward. It's really helpful to be able to look back at where you were before surgery (preop) as this might help you later on if you develop an issue. A quick example: at about a year out I had terrible itching. No one could figure out what it was. Finally, a UK DSer friend, asked what my zinc was. I told her the number and that it was in the normal range. She asked what my preop zinc number was and it was much higher (also in the normal range). She said to try and bring it up to the preop number. She was right. I've never had an itching issue since.

And, of course, its very important to keep all post op bloods to compare & look at trends.

Edited by Postop