Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leave Recovery Time After Surgery

Brothers and Sisters,

I’m getting closure to a surgery date and I was wondering how much time should I take off from work? I know surgery affects everyone differently, but was wondering what your different experiences with recovery and the standard time to take off. Any guidance you could give would really be appreciated.

Depends on your job. I'm an assistant manager at a retail store. They told me to take 2 weeks off which I did but ended up being out for almost a month because I was struggling to eat and they were afraid of me passing out at work.

If you're doing the sleeve and your work isn't super exertion like construction work or something, I'd say 2 weeks. You'll feel better right away, maybe a little tired, and you can't lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks, but otherwise you can probably return to work within 2 weeks.

2 weeks was plenty for me. My job is a combo of sitting and racing around like a crazy person!

41 minutes ago, Trellunit said:

Brothers and Sisters,

I’m getting closure to a surgery date and I was wondering how much time should I take off from work? I know surgery affects everyone differently, but was wondering what your different experiences with recovery and the standard time to take off. Any guidance you could give would really be appreciated.

I would say take at least 1 month off to recover and get off liquids and on soft foods. You don’t really want to go back while you’re on liquids and your body is still adjusting and your incisions are still healing.

43 minutes ago, jrmolina2006 said:

I would say take at least 1 month off to recover and get off liquids and on soft foods. You don’t really want to go back while you’re on liquids and your body is still adjusting and your incisions are still healing.

@jrmolina2006 is right. I took 2 1/2 weeks. I would have liked more, I was cleared for 6 weeks but my work only piles up while I'm gone. I have a desk job so no strenuous movement, but that early on you are at very low calories and by the end of the day I was fizzled out. I would suggest taking as much as you can get to rest and heal. The first week I pretty much walked and slept, with small meals in between. Good luck

Edited by nenes78

I have 6 weeks of short term disability approved for it. Pays 80% i have money saved. So i am going learn the new me some what 1st.

PRE OP VSG. 35/M. HW: 465 CW: 435. SURGERY 5/6/2019

I took 6 weeks of FMLA. When i returned to work i could eat regular food. I had no lifting restrictions by that time and was full of energy

It depends on what type of work you do and the physical requirements of your job.

I work at a desk. I have no lifting. I took 1 week off and was able to work from home the 2nd week. If my work didn't pile up so much, I probably would have taken that 2nd week off. I was able to work, but I had fatigue and needed frequent breaks. I even fell asleep on my lunch break!

If your job is anything more than sedentary, you're going to need time to recover so you can safely lift or bend. I'd say I was 100% within 4 weeks.

I can work from home as well and thank you for all the information it is greatly appreciated

3 hours ago, Trellunit said:

Brothers and Sisters,

I’m about 3wks post up- bypass. My Dr. put me out for a month! My surgery was 1/25, I can say I’m glad I listened to him. I definitely tire easily and learning my new stomach and limitations can definitely take some doing. I do some work from home so I’m not completely overwhelmed when I return. Good luck

Edited by Charlie2282

I had bypass...went back after a week. I have a desk job. Fairly laid back atmosphere. I was taking liquid Tylenol though because I was still sore. I could have taken more time if I wanted but I felt like it was best for me to go back- for my mental and I am glad I did.

Awesome thank you for the information. I work from home as well so I will keep this in mind as I get closer to my surgery date. Hope my recovery will go smooth. Thank you

I took off about 2.5 weeks.

I could have gone back in a week but took two to be out for Christmas LOL