Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bypass Buddies

Ninjamom2019 - we are surgery day buddies! Congrats on your loss! You are doing great!

3/18 VSG to rny for GERD, pre-op diet starting weight 251 and today I am 216.6. Loss has slowed down and stalled but I’ll take any loss. Good luck to all!

Hi everyone. It’s been a little over a month since we’ve checked in with each other. How are you all doing. I’ve been dealing with a marginal ulcer the past 6 weeks or so. But it’s healing and I’m starting to feel better. I’m down 45 pounds since surgery on March 12! I figured out that only eating 400 or 500 calories a day was making me stall. I usually get between 700 to 900 calories and I almost feel normal. Although I track my food religiously, and exercise at least 5 times a week. Hope you all are having success.

I'm 13 weeks it and down 50lbs still only getting in 500-650 calories. I haven't eaten beef, pork, fruit things like that. Me and fish OF ANY TYPE do not agree. I'm still afraid of dumping. I wish I had people around me that I could go through this with.

5 minutes ago, BariatricBarb said:

Hi everyone. It’s been a little over a month since we’ve checked in with each other. How are you all doing. I’ve been dealing with a marginal ulcer the past 6 weeks or so. But it’s healing and I’m starting to feel better. I’m down 45 pounds since surgery on March 12! I figured out that only eating 400 or 500 calories a day was making me stall. I usually get between 700 to 900 calories and I almost feel normal. Although I track my food religiously, and exercise at least 5 times a week. Hope you all are having success.

How did you know you had the marginal ulcer and how are they handling it?

You didn't really ask me , but I'm weighing in. Usually found when you have an Endoscopy For me a knowing that doesn't stop, full or empty. I also have pain in my pouch , like a Charlie Horse internally, although my doctors would argue thins I think I detect a puffiness over Precious , my pouch, last time I mentioned it the resident said it was impossible, she's buried farther down,not on the skin surface. All I know is: I feel what I feel! Besides he only helps form them, I LIVE WITH IT. Plus I have thinned down there below my breastbone. Also pain/tenderness in the right subcostal area, subcostal means " under ribs" perhaps you might want the. translation. I get used to calling things by their medical names. You Upchuck more than you want to because you're swollen inside and food doesn't always pass through readily. How do I know all this? Experience , I have been fighting this war since last October, a month/6 weeks past my RNY. The last EGJ showed healing well underway. Okay, got to show off now. As bypassers, we no longer can have EGD because they no longer can access the duodenum, the 1st part of the small intestine, this the sacrifice we pay to have our type surgery. So we are Esophageal- Gastric pouch- jejunem which is 2nd part of small intestine and the part now attached to our pouch. Marginal means she has ulcers just before the opening or just after. Our acid production got cut way down with surgery, but there is just enough to make an insult to our pouch/ jejunem. And although there is usually protective mucus layer in our stomach, poor jejunem didn't get built that way and the minute amounts still "chew" on him. I had as many as 10 in my intestine as well as the ones in my pouch right before the opening. And swollen also means narrowed so I still am on puree, Soup, broth and Protein Shakes. Seems like forever but only 9 months of my life, for the Greater good I will endure through it! And you didn't ask but I have lost 120+ pounds since my surgery,multiple clothing sizes, and I am still losing, one of the few people who never stalled,like an old jalopy I just keep chugging along , slow and steady and pounds going away permanently.

I'm finally below 300 lbs this morning. 299.9 on the scale. :) I've actually ate above 1k calories this weekend and felt fine. Still eating small meals, still walking, but maybe not exercising as much as I should.

Congratulations on breaking That Weight Barrier! Oh there are many more ahead but see, You Are A Success already- You Can Do This- because You Already have passed this goal, kicked it out of your way- not going to slow down or block you on your journey. Way to go, Baby, Way to go.

14 hours ago, Mrs. Hayes said:

How did you know you had the marginal ulcer and how are they handling it?

The pain started about 7 weeks out. Just below my breastbone and seemed to radiate outward. No reflux (reason i had the sleeve to bypass revision) or vomiting. But i have Zofran to use when needed. My doctor has made himself very accessible by email and phone. I had all the classic symptoms. He said we could do a scope, or we could just treat it without giving my pouch and intestine the added stress. He said if we did the scope, the treatment would be the same. Twice a day Prilosec capsule's, without the capsule. And three to five times daily Carafate, dissolved in Water and drank like a shot. We initially tried for two weeks to see if there was any relief. There was. After a few days I noticed the pain was not constant. At the end of the first two weeks, I still had pain after eating, but still less frequent, and the severity was definitely less. So we have continued with the doctor checking in at two week intervals. Now, the pain is almost non-existent unless I forget to take the meds. We are continuing the meds for 4 more weeks and will then do a scope to make sure things are as they should be. I feel much better with each day. I'm hopeful that this was just a speed bump and will be healed in the next few weeks.

Oh I bet it will be merely a speed bump. Mine also had the problem that I am 73 and don't heal as quickly as younger people. But I will still join you in Healthier- Land, you are going to get there first, but save me a place, I still plan on joining YOU!❤

1 minute ago, Frustr8 said:

Oh I bet it will be merely a speed bump. Mine also had the problem that I am 73 and don't heal as quickly as younger people. But I will still join you in Healthier- Land, you are going to get there first, but save me a place, I still plan on joining YOU!❤

I read your story and boy, have you been through a lot! I hope you continue healing and get to the other side. I'll save your spot! 😁 Good luck!!!

Thanks, Darling, I'll count on it!

Hi all just checking in. It has been 99 days since the surgery. I am down 41 pounds at 160 lbs. I now weigh what I weighed 10 months after my second baby. Another 30 and I will hit my goal. I have not lost during the past week. I hope this stall will go away. I hope my March buddies are feeling good and healthy. Keep up the good work!

And... back above 300 this morning. Fluctuation 😐