Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone I have a question about GERD. If your upper GI test results show that you have acid reflux, do you have to have the RNY ? Tomorrow I will meet my surgeon about my test results and we talked about the sleeve before I had the test. I do suffer from acid reflux but it’s mostly when I eat certain foods. I really don’t want the bypass and I’m just wondering do you have to go route if the test is positive for GERD. Any advice on this topic would be helpful, thanks

I had a scope and tested positive for Barrett’s esophagus ... so I had to have the bypass... my husband had his surgery the same day and he had the Sleeve.... I can not believe the difference in how we feel and the heeling proses...

I have GERD and I was able to get sleeved 12/11/18. Now the GERD is gone! Yay!

What is the difference in the heeling process? Why did y’all have different procedures?

GradyCat that’s good to know, how was the gas after surgery ?

I have GERD. I had it with the Lap Band and periodically after I had the band removed. When it came time to consider another surgery, doc thought my GERD was largely related to my obesity and poor diet. I also didn't want RNY, so we went with sleeve. After about 6 weeks I started getting heartburn. Heartburn is gone with Nexium, but I have nighttime reflux. It's just enough to make me wake with a sore throat, no choking or anything. I'm in the process of having this investigated as to severity and my options. Since I'm sleeved, my options are a little limited. I'm working with my gastroenterologist and considering Linx or stretta procedure.

So many people with reflux ignore the advice and go with the sleeve. It seems to exacerbate it. There are many many people who then have to revise from sleeve to bypass.

What is it about the bypass that scares you so much?

I’m not really scared, I think I just need to do more research on it. Did you have the bypass ?

I was going to have the sleeve but because of the Barrett’s my surgeon suggested the bypass as it would
Eliminate the heartburn/Gerd...other wise hubby and I would have both had the sleeve...

i had server gerd to the point i had barrett's esophagus, i had to take 4 pills daily and i still ended up throwing up bile every morning. i was told the sleeve would make it worse. once i was told that i said nope give me the bypass. im two weeks out and no more gerd. also my sleeep apnea is gone completely as well.

The bypass has been around for decades and is the BEST surgery for weight loss and long term management. The surgery has been performed 1000s of times so there's no reason to be worried. Having the VSG is like doing half the surgery why not give yourself the best chance at success with RNY? Why so many people have irrational fear of surgery. Have no surgery die of obesity related issues or take a little risk in order to save your life? No brainer!!

Hi everyone I have a question about GERD. If your upper GI test results show that you have acid reflux, do you have to have the RNY ? Tomorrow I will meet my surgeon about my test results and we talked about the sleeve before I had the test. I do suffer from acid reflux but it’s mostly when I eat certain foods. I really don’t want the bypass and I’m just wondering do you have to go route if the test is positive for GERD. Any advice on this topic would be helpful, thanks
I had the sleeve and everything was good until I stopped taking my omeprazile and then it was horrible pain, nausea and vomiting am now on Pantrozole and it is better so now thinking I should have had bypass.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app