Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did your work out routine look like post op?

How soon where you able to workout? (Feel comfortable working out after your surgery)
Will I ever be able to weight lift kick boxing, or yoga after I’m fully healed or would that be too intense?

I had sleeve done April 12th, I took off from gym April & May, Dr told me wait at least 4-6 weeks. So in June I did my personal trainer once a week w/ weight lifting for a half an hour & zumba twice a week. Then a couple months after that I started taking all different classes at gym like spin, yoga & pilates... I’ve had no problems w/ any workouts. I am now at gym 2-3 hours a day six days a week.

Kay, I think we are all different--so the answer changes a lot based on where you are starting from. If you're are 30 years old, had a BMI below 40 on the day of surgery and are otherwise healthy, you'll be ready to hit the gym for light to moderate cardio 2-3 weeks after surgery. I am 45 and I had a BMI of 35 on the day of surgery. I as at the gym a week after surgery, walking on the treadmill and hitting the elliptical machine every day (It's too cold where I live to walk outside--so this was my substitute). Two to three weeks post-op I started taking spin classes, but not pushing myself to the max. I just worked on getting myself back into the groove. At my one month post-op consult, my surgeon gave me the all clear to weight train and do any other physical activity. The next day, I started weight training and hitting the cardio with high intensity. I am now almost 8 weeks post-op and I am working out around 2-2.5 hours a day, six days a week. Typically, I am doing 45-1 hour of cardio (spin classes 4x a week and more moderate intensity cardio the other three days), 45 minutes of weight training 6 days a week (also varying in intensity and type) and another 10 minutes for abs which I do 5 times a week.

FYI, if you're eager to hit the gym after surgery, just understand that you may lose weight a little slower than you would if you just dieted alone. On the other hand, you will significantly improve your body composition by hitting the gym because you'll help maintain your muscle tissue so more of the weight that you lose will come from fat. I knew this before I started working out, but I want to have a good physique not just be thin and soft.

Doc released me for cardio at 4 weeks, the told me I could resume strength training at 6 weeks. weights, biking, etc. everybody is different thought. listen to your body!

1 hour ago, Kay2016 said:

How soon where you able to workout? (Feel comfortable working out after your surgery)
Will I ever be able to weight lift kick boxing, or yoga after I’m fully healed or would that be too intense?

I started on an elliptical recumbent bike at the gym within a week of surgery. I was cleared to start weights at 3 weeks after my post-op visit and told to listen to my body - if it hurt - stop. My surgery was August 23, 2016.

In April 2017, I began fencing foil (as in en garde). I am now nationally ranked (24th among women age 50-59 and 33 among women over 40). I fence, on average, 6 hours a week. I compete against kids I could have given birth to.

I started taking a cross fit type class in June. I deadlift 235 and back squat 225.

You can do as much or as little as you'd like once you are given clearance by your docs.

I was 56 when I had my surgery and 246 pounds. I sit around 150 now - most of it muscle. I started working out before surgery to prepare myself. I couldn't do a lot at 270 pounds, but I tried. You should be able to do whatever you want.

6 minutes ago, Avery's Mom said:

Doc released me for cardio at 4 weeks, the told me I could resume strength training at 6 weeks. weights, biking, etc. everybody is different thought. listen to your body!

Sounds about right. It really depends on where you're starting from. My doctor gave me clearance early, but I know in my support group there are people that are older (in their late 60's and early 70's), have a history of heart disease, orthopedic issues etc. and have higher BMI's to start (above 50), and they aren't going to be ready to actually work out on their own until they get down to a stable weight and they are going to need to work with a physical therapist before they can actually "hit the gym". The last thing any of us needs to do is to suffer an injury that immobilizes us when we need to be able to move.

I was at the gym two weeks post-op doing cardio (stationary recumbent bike and treadmill) but couldn't do any weight lifting or resistance machines until 6 weeks post-op. My post-op gym routine is the same as my pre-op gym routine now 45 minutes/day 4-5 days/week

4 hours ago, Kay2016 said:

My surgeon had me walking the day after surgery (It helps in the healing process) I continued to walk after I was home from surgery. Each surgeons’ instructions are a bit different. Your Dr. will release you for lifting and exercise. After you are healed, you will absolutely be able to get into activity/exercise of your choice. Start slow and work your way up.

What did my post op work outs look like?

My goal after surgery was to run race for the cure 5K in memory of my mother. I started walking 30 mins and worked it to an hour a day for the first three weeks. Third month I had a major stall. I sold my treadmill and bought a gym member ship.

Third month: I did weight lifting with an hour of cardio 5 days a week. I mixed icardio up on elliptical, treadmill, stairmaster and treadmill. I took a women’s lifting class. What I learned is too much cardio will slow down building muscle. I altered my workout program.

My workouts have changed and evolve over the years. I am 50. I love being a bad ass grandmother. You never know where your weight loss can take you. We are all stronger than we give ourselves credit for. I have completed 5K to a full marathon. Last year, I ran two mountain elevation/ trail half marathons. This year my bucket list run is Revel Mt. Charleston in Las Vegas.

Find exercise/activity’s you enjoy and be consistent!