Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you stop using shakes?

I notice a lot of people stop using shakes. I still have to have at least one 30 gram shake a day, and often some other form of supplement like 1/2 a Protein Bar, some Protein chips or a bariatric cocoa to get to 60 grams. At what point did you stop using shakes and supplements and got your protein only from natural foods?

I don't plan to stop using Protein Shakes. I'm 9 weeks post-op and still drinking at least one shake a day and eating Protein chips. I've been drinking a Protein Shake for Breakfast for at least 5 years and it's just so convenient that I don't plan on stopping now. I'll TRY and get all of my other protein at lunch and dinner meals, but a few extra in the form of protein Snacks can't hurt.

My dietician prefers that his patients not use Protein Shakes because solid food is more filling. Right now I don't really experience hunger, so this isn't a factor for me. I'm a month out and am down to one a day. I'll probably continue to use them, because like @GradyCat said, they're convenient. Once I can have coffee again (1 more week!) I'll probably also add it in there.

My RD has no problem if shakes still satisfy and allow us to easily meet Protein needs. She things that using a shake to get a wad of protein in is a good thing, cuz it frees us from food obsession. That way, we could have more veggies either at a snack, or as part of the meal.

I will have one whenever I'm hungry for one--just like a normal person. I don't drink "just a protein drink". I usually drink it in coffee, or I make a filling, high Fiber, very nutrient dense low cal, low carb, low fat smoothie. (I'm usually craving one if I make one.) It keeps me full for hours and is very thick and luscious! I had one on Thursday I think? :)

The way it was explained to me was that, once I could get at least 60 grams of Protein in by way of actual food, I could discontinue the Protein Shakes. I still have a Protein Shake in the morning, for no other reason than because it's a fast and easy way to start my day off with a good amount of protein. I don't need them anymore, but I prefer them.

For some reason I was craving smoothies and milkshakes all last summer, long before I had surgery. I bought a NutriBullet (Thanks Dr. V.) and I mix a Protein Shake or Protein Powder and another liquid with fruit and even spinach and avocado sometimes. No plans to stop.

3 minutes ago, JessLess said:

For some reason I was craving smoothies and milkshakes all last summer, long before I had surgery. I bought a NutriBullet (Thanks Dr. V.) and I mix a Protein Shake or Protein Powder and another liquid with fruit and even spinach and avocado sometimes. No plans to stop.

I do the same thing. They fill me up. And then I get to have things like salads with only a bit of nuts and low fat feta or blue cheese in them as an accent!

I stopped them as soon as I started mushies. My dietician was satisfied that I am getting in approx 60g of Protein per day which for someone my size is plenty.

I was quite happy to stop as I really don’t like them

I have one for breakfast at least 3 days/week. I like that it’s something I can take with me in the car on days I’m in a hurry. Sometimes food doesn’t appeal in the am but the shakes go down easy.

I actually came on to ask the same question. I’m so burnt out on Protein Shakes that a single drink triggers a gag reflex at times. Unfortunately, I’m nowhere near the point of getting enough Protein with food alone. I just ate dinner and am only at 17g of Protein for the day. I may try to get a little bit of milk down or some cottage cheese later this evening to push it a little higher, but it’s still nowhere near enough. I had egg for Breakfast, shrimp (the canned kind that are softer) for lunch, and diced chicken for dinner. I’m also still struggling to hit Water goals. I’m averaging about 20-30 oz of Water a day. Another issue I’m having with protein shakes is that it takes me a solid 6 hrs to get an 8oz shake down. I’ve tried a few different brands and they all just seem to sit in my stomach like a brick. I did just order some unflavored Protein Powder and some bariatric friendly cocoa mix with 15g of protein per 6-8 oz serving. If I make the cocoa with fair life milk, it will add another 13g of protein per 8oz serving. I see several people mentioning protein chips, so I’ll look into those as well in the coming weeks. Any other suggestions for protein dense foods/beverages are certainly welcome. I’m just really struggling at this point to get much down at all (which is kind of the point, I guess). I’m about 3 weeks post-op. Just started soft Proteins on the 7th.

You might do better with Isopure iced tea? Some people like to mix it half and half with Water. It's thick. It comes in other flavors but I like this one best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00457K6WQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a lot of clear liquid Proteins hitting the market. costco has a 12 pack of melon and its $8 off a case right now and averages $1.41 a bottle. I just got them today and haven't tried them yet, but Isopure has great reviews.

These are the best value I've found. They're 40 grams of Protein and you can cut them 50% with Water and still get 20 grams a pop. I buy them from Amazon.

1169776108_Iso100proteinwater.jpg.aad142a54d0f50da564bbc5571e975a0.jpg

I LOVE making my own Protein Shakes, and did so for years before my surgery. I live in Europe and they have something called quark here, which is a very young cheese that is very low fat and high Protein. It's kind of like a very thick greek yogurt. I mix that with a bit of flavorless whey, fat-free yogurt, skim milk, tiny bit of chia seeds and flaxseed, and a little frozen fruit. It's quite lean and delicious with a ton of protein. Unfortunately my nutritionist was not jazzed about me having liquids every morning after the 6-week mark even though I GAINED muscle in the period after my surgery! She asked me to eat fat-free yogurt or quark with granola every other morning. I've been doing that as it's a bit faster before work if I'm in a rush, but I am not going to stop with my shakes anytime soon.