Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2.5 years post sleeve and major struggles

Hi everyone! I am 2.5 years post sleeve surgery my highest weight was about 380lb and I have been fluctuating between 188-198 lb the last year. Old habits are creeping in and my surgeon has placed me on a new diet to try and reach the 180 lb goal she set for me. It is embarrassing to say I am that close but yet so far away. I find the old habits creeping in whether its dessert after dinner like the kids have, or sneaking a sweet at the store. I should be consuming 3 Protein Bars per day, dinner around 6p and a Greek yogurt at 9p before I leave for my night shift. I have always struggled with Water intake and get about 50 oz. Of overall liquids per day normally coffee, tea, Vitamin water zero, and water with crystal light. I work 72 hrs per week and attend nursing school so I am beyond busy and never stick to an exercise regimen because I am so tired. I could spit out many excuses but I blame myself for the poor eating choices. I have found since about 18 months post OP I have excessive hunger that no matter what I do I feel starving even 15 min after dinner. I drink water and it never satisfies the feeling of hunger. I am going back to see the surgeon again next week, but I just feel so overwhelmed and disappointed in why I am steering off my weight loss path. Any ideas of how to get back on track and get rid of this hunger?

Thanks everyone.

I am new to this Journey so i cannot speak from experience. I am not sure what exactly you are eating but try replacing those items that are veering you off the path with something else. If its the sweet thing at the store.. get something else sweet at the store like fruit in a cup or something. If its the after dinner snack along with the kids, start making them SF Jello with Fat Free cool whip. Go back to the alternatives. Instead of pizza, do the cauli crust Pizza.. Sub one thing at a time so you dont feel like you are cheating yourself.. but make the changes before that 10 pounds turns to 20.. etc.

Good Luck!

Thanks.. it is the old habits that creep back in. It is easier to grab crackers versus grilling chicken and veggies when your hungry between meals. I know the mistakes I am making it is just very hard to mentally stick with it. I know I will fail if I keep it up down this path, but every day i keep saying i will get back on track tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes. I will start measuring out my meals again and increase Water and exercise are my goals to resort back to.. thanks again!

12 minutes ago, EmilyJune said:

Thanks.. it is the old habits that creep back in. It is easier to grab crackers versus grilling chicken and veggies when your hungry between meals. I know the mistakes I am making it is just very hard to mentally stick with it. I know I will fail if I keep it up down this path, but every day i keep saying i will get back on track tomorrow, but tomorrow never comes. I will start measuring out my meals again and increase Water and exercise are my goals to resort back to.. thanks again!

Your welcome. I am only 3 months out and the other night i skipped dinner.. not because i wanted to, but like you.. I was busy that day. I had work, straight to the gym, left the gym, straight to my ballroom dance classes.. Before surgery on a day like this.. I would have run through Mcdonalds or something to grab something. I know i cant now, so i just didnt eat dinner, also not a good habit..So to fix that ( Point of this post for you lol) is i bought some Quest Meal Replacement Bars.. not just the snack ones.. SO on a day where i am constantly on the go.. i can grab one and have my dinner in between places and still get my Protein in.. It also gives me the sweet variety in case i wanted it.. but i never really did sweets beforehand.

I would also track your carbs and not just measure your food. Try making sure you are not overdoing the carbs, sometimes its not how much we eat but what we eat.. Even though my NUT told me i can have 60 carbs a day. i confirmed with Dr. he wants less than 40.. I want less than 20.. So i try to intake as few as possible.

Good Luck to you and reach out if you need any other support!

2 hours ago, EmilyJune said:

It is easier to grab crackers versus grilling chicken and veggies when your hungry between meals.

This is what has been my downfall every time. I know this about myself and I plan ahead. I always have cheese sticks on hand. I have portioned out nuts for when I travel or am at work. I even keep hard boiled eggs on hand most of the time.

Congrats on so many things!

1. You're weight loss from 300lbs
  2. Maintaining in a 10lb window for the last year following your honeymoon period
  3. Raising a family
  4. Working
  5. Going to school to provide a better future for yourself and your family.
  6. Recognizing you have an issue and need practical suggestions for change, rather than ignoring the situation.

That's amazing and sure doesn't sound like someone who is failing WLS. Make sure to give yourself credit, cuz the morale very rarely improves with beatings.

You know in your heart of hearts that you have a decision to make. It lands solely on your shoulders. And you already know the answer. The answer is you HAVE to want to choose to go back to the old rules from your surgeon that actually worked. Or if they don't work, then you have to find new rules. But at the heart of it, you must take action, quit rationalizing, have a game plan, and implement the plan.

No one likes going "BACK" on a diet. No one. Cuz it's like 2-3 weeks of PIA and pain.

You're not feeling satiety cuz frankly, you are rationalizing bad behaviors that contribute to the problem. Maybe you are:

1. Eating too many carbs which cause blood sugar and insulin spikes which drive hunger.
  2. Eating too quickly of the wrong things
  3. Eating too much "comfort food that is sliderish" and lacks density
  4. Not eating Protein first
  5. Eating the wrong kind of protein
  6. Not eating things that are low calorie and low carb that will help fill you up (ie al dente and raw veggies along with dense lean protein and a bit of healthy fats)
  7. Not following the rules about drinking and eating at the same time or in close proximity of each other
  8. Not fully hydrating
  9. Not taking time for you and not exercising
  10. etc. etc. etc.

But these are all fixable things! The rules exist for a reason. They work! They get results!

Honestly, sugary foods, and sugar alcohol sweetened waters make me MORE hungry! They wake up my cravings! Same with candy bars Protein Bars. To me those things have no place during active weight loss. All they are is crack cocaine that helps sabotage your diet and plays mind games with your resolve. Maybe some of you can eat them as a snack during maintenance in order to drive calories up to maintain? But they wake up cravings in most of us.

I'm much better off eating a cheese stick and a hard boiled egg than eating a protein bar! Even beef Jerky and cheese sticks are better than protein bars! They have P3 packs (cheese, meat, nuts or boiled egg, cheese, nuts) that can be stuck into a back pack! Easy meal on the go! Etc. There ARE solutions. They just may not be as "nummy" as a candy bar! But they ARE more feeling and won't drive cravings!

Go back to the basics. Kick the taste of sweet to the curb. Meal prep on days off! Go back to eating "boring" easy button meals for 2 of 3 meals. You can turn this around and finish what you started without more surgery or diet pills...just sayin'!!

31 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

2. Maintaining in a 10lb window for the last year following your honeymoon period
  3. Raising a family
  4. Working
  6. Recognizing you have an issue and need practical suggestions for change, rather than ignoring the situation.

That's amazing and sure doesn't sound like someone who is failing WLS. Make sure to give yourself credit, cuz the morale very rarely improves with beatings.

You know in your heart of hearts that you have a decision to make. It lands solely on your shoulders. And you already know the answer. The answer is you HAVE to want to choose to go back to the old rules from your surgeon that actually worked. Or if they don't work, then you have to find new rules. But at the heart of it, you must take action, quit rationalizing, have a game plan, and implement the plan.

No one likes going "BACK" on a diet. No one. Cuz it's like 2-3 weeks of PIA and pain.

You're not feeling satiety cuz frankly, you are rationalizing bad behaviors that contribute to the problem. Maybe you are:

1. Eating too many carbs which cause blood sugar and insulin spikes which drive hunger.
  5. Eating the wrong kind of Protein
  6. Not eating things that are low calorie and low carb that will help fill you up (ie al dente and raw veggies along with dense lean protein and a bit of healthy fats)
  7. Not following the rules about drinking and eating at the same time or in close proximity of each other
  8. Not fully hydrating
  10. etc. etc. etc.

But these are all fixable things! The rules exist for a reason. They work! They get results!

Honestly, sugary foods, and sugar alcohol sweetened waters make me MORE hungry! They wake up my cravings! Same with candy bars Protein Bars. To me those things have no place during active weight loss. All they are is crack cocaine that helps sabotage your diet and plays mind games with your resolve. Maybe some of you can eat them as a snack during maintenance in order to drive calories up to maintain? But they wake up cravings in most of us.

I'm much better off eating a cheese stick and a hard boiled egg than eating a protein bar! Even beef Jerky and cheese sticks are better than protein bars! They have P3 packs (cheese, meat, nuts or boiled egg, cheese, nuts) that can be stuck into a back pack! Easy meal on the go! Etc. There ARE solutions. They just may not be as "nummy" as a candy bar! But they ARE more feeling and won't drive cravings!

Go back to the basics. Kick the taste of sweet to the curb. Meal prep on days off! Go back to eating "boring" easy button meals for 2 of 3 meals. You can turn this around and finish what you started without more surgery or diet pills...just sayin'!!

Wow! That was amazing and I greatly appreciate the pep talk. I know what needs to be done and I need to stop cutting corners. I hope my next post is I have reached my goal. I go back to see the surgeon next week so I am busting my bubble to at least reach the 180 goal set for me. Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, EmilyJune said:

Wow! That was amazing and I greatly appreciate the pep talk. I know what needs to be done and I need to stop cutting corners. I hope my next post is I have reached my goal. I go back to see the surgeon next week so I am busting my bubble to at least reach the 180 goal set for me. Thanks so much!

You know what happens when we cut corners on ourselves. Right? :D Part of what got us an invite to the Obesity Ball, sweetie! You wouldn't cut corners on your kiddos. So don't do it on yourself, it will have lifelong impact on them if you're not healthy and teaching by example: if something doesn't work fully or as it should, change it until it works again and succeed! What a cool thing to teach them. Persistence and engenuity! :)

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

3. Raising a family
  4. Working

5. Eating the wrong kind of Protein
  8. Not fully hydrating
  10. etc. etc. etc.

Good stuff! You definitely have the right mindset. You more than anyone else on here always make me want to use the old cut and paste function. LOL

Thank you!

JazzHands.JPG.54a3db362ed7222f3d042b04d893da01.JPG Jazz Hands! (and smoke and mirrors)

Just a thought. I've been learning to make my meals a head of time. For example, I made a stew today that I portioned out into single servings. I froze some and the others are in the fridge for lunch this week. I find that I like having a rotisserie chicken from the market too so I don't always have to cook but have healthy choices available.

Can I just say those Protein bars are crap and why not just eat a snickers bar ? If it am on the run I go for a muscle milk drink in the airport ornideally I have pure Protein Drink in the car . I too carry cheese sticks or a wedge of laughing cow light Swiss cheese and celery sticks . The light and fit yogurts are great and pack 12 g ofnprotein for 80 calories . Even a banana is better than that processed garbage . Think about nutrition , liquid and more veggies and lean protein . I wanted something sweet on a cold night and could have done sugar free hot cocoa for 90 calories but no nutritional value or heated up my chocolate protein drink . I did the latter and my surgeon said “right choice “ feed your body and focus on health . Good luck and congratulations on your loss ! U got this !💪

@EmilyJuneI'm just starting out on my journey and my height and high weight are similar to yours. Your stats are incredibly inspiring and I hope to have made as much progress as you have in 2.5 years! Don't be so hard on yourself, the weight loss you have achieved is incredible.

Also re: Protein bars, my nutritionist frowns on them but approves then as "emergency food, " i.e. something to keep in your bag when you have to unexpectedly work late or don't have access to more healthy options. I tend to also keep healthier options in my bag but they have certainly bailed me out of many desperate hanger situations...

5 hours ago, Lolo 2020 said:

Can I just say those Protein Bars are crap and why not just eat a snickers bar ? If it am on the run I go for a muscle milk drink in the airport ornideally I have pure Protein Drink in the car . I too carry cheese sticks or a wedge of laughing cow light Swiss cheese and celery sticks . The light and fit yogurts are great and pack 12 g ofnprotein for 80 calories . Even a banana is better than that processed garbage . Think about nutrition , liquid and more veggies and lean Protein . I wanted something sweet on a cold night and could have done sugar free hot cocoa for 90 calories but no nutritional value or heated up my chocolate Protein drink . I did the latter and my surgeon said “right choice “ feed your body and focus on health . Good luck and congratulations on your loss ! U got this !💪

I feel that this new diet of 2-3 protein bars and 1 meal per day is setting me up for failure. They are sweet and I feel instant cravings for sweets after I eat them. I am slowly increasing my Water intake and exercise. I have many food changes to make and hope for the best !