Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MGB V RNY weight loss

Very curious to see people comment their surgery and total weight loss after 12 months?

I'm leaning towards RNY BYPASS!

Each person is different. Keep in mind that different starting weights, different surgeries, different paces. The surgery is just a tool, and a part of the new life. Its totally up to the person with the tool to make the right choices with food, exercise and behaviors.

I was sleeved on Nov 8th and there can be others who were bypassed on the same day.. Our weight loss depends on how we treat our tool..combined with our starting weights, and exercise routines. There are too many variables to make a decision on a surgery based on others results.

Good Luck on your Journey.

As Jazzy, there's a lot of individualism involved. There is a perspective from some docs that assign a BMI score to the different procedures to indicate their relative "power" - a lapband may be "worth" 10 BMI points, while a VSG or RNY are worth 15-20 points and a DS maybe 25. The MGB would be in that same region as the VSG and RNY. This just indicates relative strength, and also indicates that, given the wide variation in results, that most of that variation owe to individual factors - metabolic quirks, diet and exercise compliance and compatibility, etc.

One can also say that the different procedures have something of a "personality", such that any particular individual may do better with one procedure vs. another, even if that procedure is statistically less "powerful". Stated another way, particularly with these "middle ground" procedures like the VSG/MGV/RNY, which are overall fairly close together in performance, individual factors will be more important than which procedure is deemed to be "better" overall.

Another factor that I see in this is intent - the MGB was originally developed to be a simpler, faster, less expensive variant of the RNY, that was (hopefully} as good as, or at least almost as good as, the RNY. Its' rationale was primarily to be simpler rather than better performing. Contrast with the duodenal switch, when that was first developed some thirty years ago, it was intended to offer better performance than the default RNY rather than be simpler (which it certainly is not!) So, on that basis, I would not look to the MGB as being "better" than the RNY on weight loss performance, unless there is something about it that really seems to "click" with you.

If you have a skilled surgeon you should go with RNY. The main advantage to the Omega Loop bypass seems to be that it is simpler and quicker surgery. If you have an experienced surgeon that shouldn’t be an issue.