Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just can't get warm!

On 2/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, BrighterSide said:

Sleeved 21st Jan, approx 7kg down. On soft foods, getting 650-820ish calories on board. Hitting av. 68g Protein and 1.75litres Fluid a day. Walking almost every day (missed one). But of an afternoon/evening I just cannot get warm. Sat here with OH and kids in T-Shirts and I'm in a ski jacket with legs cold in jeans, feet cold in socks, and nose/fingers really cold.

Do I need to worry? What should I do differently? If 'No' and 'nothing', will this go away?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mention it to your doc so they may recommend post surgery labs sooner. It is easy to get Vitamin B and Iron deficient and may cause that. I am 2.5 years out and freezing 24.7 but I have a thyroid disorder and I take supplements to regulate my nutrients and Vitamins. When you are taking in so much less food it is easy feel malnourished and once you drop tons of weight you have less insulation. Second, do you have lower leg swelling or swollen red lumps anywhere to question a circulatory issue? Very uncommon but could be an issue after surgery like a blood clot etc

Thank you for that heads up. I don't see my team until 7th March so may well call. No signs of DVT. Went home with 30 days of self injections of thinners, but very carefully to look out for any symptoms (OH has a clotting disorder diagnosed after 2 saddle PEs, so we're hyper vigilant anyway).

One of the great things we can go through after a gastric sleeve surgery or any weight loss surgery. Some people can be cold for the rest of their lives. I bought me an electric blanket. I am cold all the time. With fibromyalgia it isn't fun...

I am cold all the time too - right since the day after surgery, so it's not a lack of insulation. Definitely hormonal, I think.

I was always so hot all the time - my husband and I would have epic battles over the thermostat.

I live in Upstate NY - one of the coldest and snowiest areas in the whole country, and I don't own a winter coat. I would wear a zip up hoodie in the winter. I don't own any long sleeved tops - I am in short sleeves year round.

I would go to Ireland for July and August purposely to avoid the heat and humidity here. I had to throw the poor kitties off the bed because if they were even close to me I'd sweat.

Now I'm cold! In the evenings I'm stealing DH's sofa blanket from him - we had to get another one, LOL. Now at night I'm taking my trusty old hot Water to bed with me, cuddling up to the kitties, and keeping my socks on.

Long may it last, I say - I'd much rather be too cold than too hot, at least you can add layers. Maybe now I'll be able to wear some of my own cosy sweater designs, instead of just making them.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:15 PM, Swanton_Bomb said:

It seems to be extremely common. Some sort of metabolic or hormonal reaction. Weeks 2-6 were really bad for me, my fingers and toes would regularly be numb with cold but it has gotten better. I am 3 months out now and while I am colder than I used to be pre-surgery but it is better than those first few weeks. If it lasts it will be nice to not sweat like a pig all summer though.

Yes! Before surgery I would always be hot but I now I'm always cold. But just like Swanton Bomb said, I am hoping this means I won't be a sweaty mess this summer! :)

I too am cold since surgery, its 2 weeks today. I'm sleeping with socks on and I never sleep with them ever.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, Wanda247 said:

I think that you're the only one Kathy lol...It started for me after losing about 30-35 lbs

@Wanda247

"your the only one LOL" such a wise guy!!, but i guess you might be right!!

yes we've lost our insulation - you at 30 lbs - i lost 105 lbs! never been cold

from WLS.

am i a freak that i don't feel cold PO? (hmmmm anyone be careful if you respond!)

i saved money - i didn't have to buy long johns!!

buy an electric blanket, - its as warm as you😉

good luck

kathy

1 hour ago, proudgrammy said:

@Wanda247

"your the only one LOL" such a wise guy!!, but i guess you might be right!!

yes we've lost our insulation - you at 30 lbs - i lost 105 lbs! never been cold

from WLS.

am i a freak that i don't feel cold PO? (hmmmm anyone be careful if you respond!)

i saved money - i didn't have to buy long johns!!

buy an electric blanket, - its as warm as you😉

good luck

kathy

No you're just seasoned that's all Kathy 😘 I'm embarrassed to say that I have been using a space heater here in Florida when the weather gets below 60 degrees. It's crazy to think January 2018 before surgery I was in Tahoe on vacation, it was 19 degrees and I slept with the sliding glass door cracked LOL 360 turnaround 🙃

One of the great things we can go through after a gastric sleeve surgery or any weight loss surgery. Some people can be cold for the rest of their lives. I bought me an electric blanket. I am cold all the time. With fibromyalgia it isn't fun...
I'm so sorry you have that to cope with too [emoji853]

I've been told it's pretty normal. At night I'm FREEZING. I've sweated out the husband and son because I'm so cold I'll turn the heat up and still be bundled up while they're dying from the heat.

Liked then unliked cos...well what's to like about being fffing freezing (typed jitterily fully clothed and under a fleecy blanket in a house I'm assured is 21°C)

To those who have said they look forward to summer it has given me some hope for many things including not sweating my way through everything in summer and not sweating when I am asked to do presentations for work. Part an anxiety flop sweat cos it involved standing up in front of a 90% male dominated group of peers to be judged, and part a fat sweat cycle as venues were always boiling and knowing how bad the sweating fat woman optic was made me sweat more, and so on.

If that cycle gets broken it will be worth every gas pain, pureed meal, and frozen extremity.

Yep! 10ish months out and omg always so cold. I was a chilly person before now it’s just comical because I always have a heavy warm scarf just in case. This is on top of multi layers. Btw fleece lined leggings are amazing.

I'm cold all the time too. except in the middle of summer! haha

I’m FREEZING and I am that person that was always opening a window or turning on the AC when everyone else was cold. It’s been a really nice change for me. Since I live in the central valley of California this is really a blessing because it gets very hot in the summer and I’m hoping this summer I won’t suffer like I normally do!