Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months out... “binging” and not feeling restriction

hey guys, long time no post. i got the sleeve on jul 25 and have lost 102lbs since my highest weight (march 2018).

i’m starting to get a little discouraged. i know after 6 months the weight loss tends to slow down but i’m having a really hard time. i’m not feeling much restriction and i feel as though i’m binging again. for me, binging has always been about the choices and the attitude, not necessarily the amount of food i eat. for instance, the other day i had a slice of pizza... which would normally be an okay thing to do but i ate it in secret and felt extremely guilty (and not that great) afterwards.

i’m just looking for support/people who are in the same boat or people who have dealt with this and have overcome it. I see a therapist 1x a month about this which helps greatly in recognizing my behaviors. but curious what others have done. i have not yet tried a pouch reset, but i’ve heard good things about trying that. any advice is appreciated. TIA.

I'd have more faith in BP's pouch reset program if it didn't seem so conflated with buying products from their store. It makes me wonder whether it's the person or the products sold that matter more.

On 02/08/2019 at 16:10, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I'd have more faith in BP's pouch reset program if it didn't seem so conflated with buying products from their store. It makes me wonder whether it's the person or the products sold that matter more.

i feel the same way. the ones i’ve looked at doing are essentially just what i did for the pre-op diet.

1 hour ago, saygrace said:

hey guys, long time no post. i got the sleeve on jul 25 and have lost 102lbs since my highest weight (march 2018).

i’m starting to get a little discouraged. i know after 6 months the weight loss tends to slow down but i’m having a really hard time. i’m not feeling much restriction and i feel as though i’m binging again. for me, binging has always been about the choices and the attitude, not necessarily the amount of food i eat. for instance, the other day i had a slice of pizza... which would normally be an okay thing to do but i ate it in secret and felt extremely guilty (and not that great) afterwards.

i’m just looking for support/people who are in the same boat or people who have dealt with this and have overcome it. I see a therapist 1x a month about this which helps greatly in recognizing my behaviors. but curious what others have done. i have not yet tried a pouch reset, but i’ve heard good things about trying that. any advice is appreciated. TIA.

Congrats on 105! Glad you’re doing therapy to help with binge eating.

Are you looking at pouch rest for a weight gain? or behavior change?

pouch reset is basically going back through your food progression. (Liquids, soft and real food) It may help with surgery restriction. Some feel it’s too restrictive. Some go back to real food basics.

Months/years out, you can consume more food. This is normal with the sleeve. (it has not stretched back to normal size) It's unnerving when you experience this for yourself. Weight gain seems easy. losing is slow. You may have less body fat to burn. This will make weight loss slow.

Finding strategies to fill/satisfy your new sleeve compacity. It’s important to log and stay within your weight loss/maintaining calories and macros.

• Eat dense Protein
  • Eat as much veggies as you want until full
  • Carbs and sugar will make you crave more of the, Keep healthy sweet and salty options on hand.
  • Get temptation foods out of the house.
  • If you crave pizza, Make healthy pizza.
  • Find healthy recipes that you enjoy.
  • Join a weight loss challenge

On 02/08/2019 at 18:17, Healthy_life2 said:

Congrats on 105! Glad you’re doing therapy to help with binge eating.

Are you looking at pouch rest for a weight gain? or behavior change?

pouch reset is basically going back through your food progression. (Liquids, soft and real food) It may help with surgery restriction. Some feel it’s too restrictive. Some go back to real food basics.

Months/years out, you can consume more food. This is normal with the sleeve. (it has not stretched back to normal size) It's unnerving when you experience this for yourself. Weight gain seems easy. losing is slow. You may have less body fat to burn. This will make weight loss slow.

Finding strategies to fill/satisfy your new sleeve compacity. It’s important to log and stay within your weight loss/maintaining calories and macros.

• Eat dense Protein

• Eat as much veggies as you want until full

• Carbs and sugar will make you crave more of the, Keep healthy sweet and salty options on hand.

• Get temptation foods out of the house.

• If you crave pizza, Make healthy pizza.< br />

• Find healthy recipes that you enjoy.

• Join a weight loss challenge

i’d same i’m looking at a pouch reset for both reasons. i haven’t gained any weight, i’m steadily losing (minus a 2 week stall here and there) but mainly to feel more restriction, but also behavior change because i think i’ve gotten too lenient with myself and saying “oh i can just have a taste of this”. there has to be a happy medium and i just need to find that. therapy definitely helps, and my dr says it’s major that i’m even recognizing these behaviors so she is happy with where i’m at, but i’m more hard on myself of course. i’m trying to eat Proteins first, then veggies, then carbs but that’s hard to remember to do for every meal for me.

I'm always super impressed when people have the clarity of mind to admit their gears and shortcomings, but also take action to repair it. It takes a lot of strength of character to do this.

You have been honest with us with a lot. Thank you because someone will benefit.

I'm ALL about the alternative to the traditional foods. There are many pizza (or anything else you like) recipes that will make you feel better about your choice.

I'm also all about salads because I can eat these limitlessly. FYI when I think I have no restriction left it's because I'm eat way too many sliders. My sliders aren't even unhealthy or snack like. They just delay or never prompt the full signaling like other foods.

Alternately during the luteal phase of my menstrual cycle, I really really really do need a higher caloric intake. This is when I have to be hyper vigilant.

Consider these elements as causes as well as mental ones when it comes to binging and restriction. And kudos for looping your Team in.

Stay strong and wonderful. Congrats on the accomplishments to date!

Edited by GreenTealael

Congrats on getting to goal and on maintaining. And huge cudos for doing therapy to work through your old "tapes."

I think it's important (at least for me), to set up a "new normal" with a "new set of road rules" for eating/living. The old me is dead/gone/buried/grieved. In her place is this resurrected phoenix who is stronger and more capable of new things--embraces all new things. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this transformation and remind myself that the old rules no longer apply to the new me. They aren't my "recipe for healthy living."

That helps a lot. One of the tools I use for the new future is IF. Through IF, I find that there is room on non-IF days to be a bit more relaxed in my choices. But at the bottom is my rule of 90/10 or even 95/5 more likely than not. That means I eat healthy, nutritionally dense, calorically light, and to my cals/macros 95/5 of the time. And that also means my hard fast rule is:

#1 Eat Protein first (dense, lean protein = 2-3oz per meal)>>then al dente light low carb veggies>>small amounts of healthy fat at each meal>>then low glycemic fruits if still hungry (I'm never hungry at this point--fruit is always a small snack with protein and fat).

I don't have to "REMEMBER" to do this, or think it through. It's now a "NEW" habit. I work on it every day cuz I want to let it settle into a forever habit.

You can do this. The only hard things are the things we CHOOSE to make difficult and hard. Doing things repetitively helps cement behaviors and actions and relationships.

Edited by FluffyChix