Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone who went to Mexico for WLS gone there for dental needs?

Hi everyone! I am a bit of an oddity because I am in my 30s but still have six baby teeth that lack permanent roots. They'd been in remarkably fine condition, functioning well, until I used a Waterpik on too high of a setting and it broke a tooth. Then the tooth beside it decided to call it quits shortly afterwards, probably because I'd been using the Waterpik in between those two teeth (I was not using fire hose strength but the dentist said even a bit too much pressure can be enough with baby teeth since they are more fragile). I need to have those two teeth replaced with implants immediately, and it's recommended that I have the baby teeth on the other side of my mouth crowned. I have dental insurance, but have been denied coverage for the implants because it is their policy to not pay for them on baby teeth, even though my situation is incomparable to a child's who can expect to have permanent teeth grow in. They will only cover the cost of extractions, which is not feasible since these are two teeth towards the front of my mouth. The gaps would be hugely noticeable and would ruin the alignment of my other teeth. I've been to two dentists locally, and they both said it would be more than $3000 per tooth. Insurance will only cover a small portion of the crowns.

I had gastric sleeve surgery in Tijuana in 2015, and the experience was as positive as possible. I live in LA, so it was simple to go down, and they offered far more scheduling flexibility than local surgeons. It was also a fraction of the cost, $4200 vs the $30,000 I'd been quoted by local surgeons (insurance would not pay because my BMI was "low"). I had no complications, and I exceeded my goal weight, and had maintained that loss for more than three years. I've only recently regained a bit of weight because I'm only eating soft foods, which tend to be higher in carbs. The point being, going to Tijuana worked perfectly for me! That decision transformed my life. I'm now contemplating going there for the dental work, but I'm actually feeling more nervous about that than I was with the surgery. For one, I can't find as much reliable information. Many sites like Yelp and TripAdvisor have fake reviews, despite their filters to block that out. I feel like this forum and other ones like it were really valuable to me (thank you!) because they're private and do not draw in quite as many people trying to market their business in a sly way (fake posts / reviews vs. clear advertisements), so I could get honest feedback from real patients. I thought it might be worth asking here if by chance anyone had also gotten dental work in Mexico.

I'd be incredibly grateful for any recommendations anyone may have for dentists there.

I hope you are all doing well! :)

Edited by Clementine Sky

I did the same. Went to PV for surgery and hubby had some dental work done. I did research online and looked up the address on Google maps. Check the dentist's Google reviews.

I’m going to Dr. Camina Cardenas next week for an in-person consultation. She’s in Tijuana. I’m super nervous because of all the horror stories that come out of there for plastic surgery. I’m near LA and had consultations with Katzen ($33k) and Agha ($42k). It’s insane how overpriced they are. Dr. Michaels in MD quoted me $18k.