Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having the Sleeve with bad knees

So, I’m having the Sleeve done on Feb 13. The main reason is so I can get new knees. I’m just wondering if other people have this issue? I have a hard time walking. The pain is very really. I need ideals to keep moving. Thank you in advance.

I'll try to keep this short, but here's my story. Was told, easily more than 10 years ago, needed both knees replaced. I'm bone on bone in both knees. I did the sleeve for the same reason. You don't put any stats, but here are mine -

Summer 2015 - Over 300 pounds. April 2016 - 272 and start process. Surgery August 2016. Currently about 152 (depends on day and time.) I'm 57 years old, mother of two (ages 16 and 19) and 5'3".

Before my surgery, I joined our local YMCA so I could do Water walking and other stuff in the pool - it was the only thing that didn't hurt me. I was so bad that when I did college tours with my daughter in 2016 prior to surgery, I'd make it half way through - find somewhere to crash and have to take a Vicodin to make it back to the hotel. Then I'd need another to sleep through the night.

As the weight came off, I felt better. Do I still need to have my knees replaced? Yep. Am I going to do it right now? Nope. I'm a little busy. In the last 2 years, I've taken up fencing (as in en garde). I am currently ranked 24th among women ages 50-59 in the US and 33rd among women over 40 in my weapon (foil).

Do I still get Synvisc injections and cortisone injections - yep. Do I use Vicodin to control pain - only after competing - which will generally mean fencing anywhere from 8-10 bouts over a 3-4 hour period (during which I will burn about 1400 calories).

I'm not planning on having the knees done until I get good enough to qualify for a Veteran (that's what we call fencers over 40) World Cup Team and fence for my country. Then I'll have my knees done because I'll have to take most of a year off the fencing season.

Did surgery help? Yep. I'm down about 150 pounds.

My best advice to you is before you have your surgery find a gym and meet with a trainer. Talk to them about your goals and have them set up a plan for you for after surgery. It was the best thing I did - it made me accountable to someone - even if it's water walking or walking on a treadmill or riding a recumbent bike. I started on the recumbent bike and would ride (albeit slowly) through episodes of shows I wanted to watch on Netflix. It worked.

I now work out 7 days a week - 3x week I do a crossfit type class (I deadlift 235 and back squat the same), fencing 2 days a week (for about a total of 6 hours), Pilates and work with a personal trainer. All that money I used to spend on junk food I now spend at the gym.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much for that. My knees are bone on bone too and I’m 58, 250 right now. This makes me feel better that I will be moving more. That’s what I really want is to move more and do things. Thank you again and I’m so happy for you.

I am also bone on bone in both knees. 😣 A huge part of my deciding to have sleeve surgery was because I have been told that I need knee replacement, but they won't even talk about knee replacement surgery until I get my BMI down. I can tell a difference in the level of pain already, and hope that I continue to have improvement as I lose weight!

Good Luck with your surgery!

WOW lots of bad knees here lol I am bone on bone as well, lots of basketball, etc. I'm not sure I will do knee replacement any time soon but I'm sure I will need to do it at some point.

I have already had both knees replaced but I am noticing increased ease of mobility as my weight decreased. Like you I also played basketball but I also played catcher on the softball team and baseball in my,neighborhood so a double threat to knee stability.

This is the same for me. I am bone on bone in my right knee. The left knee isn't too far behind. I am currently 268lbs at 5'5" The knee has slowed my down a lot. I have gotten orthovisc injections in my knee which help temporarily but I know losing weight is going to help a great deal. I go in for surgery 3/18/19.

So, I’m having the Sleeve done on Feb 13. The main reason is so I can get new knees. I’m just wondering if other people have this issue? I have a hard time walking. The pain is very really. I need ideals to keep moving. Thank you in advance.
I had it done for my knees as well down 100 lbs and the pain has drastically decreased and walking is much easier already.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using BariatricPal mobile app

My experience is the same as @chrissymcm08. I’ve lost 83 lbs and rarely have knee pain now. Before the sleeve, I was told I would benefit from knee replacement. I was referred to Bariatrics by an orthopedic surgeon because my BMI was over 40. My BMI is now 30 and still going down. Knee replacement is the last thing on my mind now. So much happier!

This is all great to hear. Just to be able to moving more and longer distance help to know. I’m so glad everyone is doing well. My surgery is now in 2 days. Hoping for the best. I’m feeling positive today.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, Jump123 said:

My mom had her's done back before Thanksgiving because she has degenerative bone disease and it's caused her to have really bad knees. She's feeling great and her pains have gotten better. She's lost over 50lbs so far.

On 02/11/2019 at 23:57, Jump123 said:

This is all great to hear. Just to be able to moving more and longer distance help to know. I’m so glad everyone is doing well. My surgery is now in 2 days. Hoping for the best. I’m feeling positive today.
Good luck on your surgery and prayer for an easy recovery!

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Jump123 said:

Weight loss will definently help your knees out but with all the Protein intake you must watch out for GOUT....

I had it in my knees and ankles 2 months out.