Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing more than weight

You guys, my hair is falling out like crazy these last 3 weeks. I was intellectually prepared for it. This is a normal happenstance. My bloodwork is good; no nutritional deficiency or hormone imbalances. I’m grateful for that and so fortunate... but the Hair loss is so noticeable. I just wasn’t emotionally prepared for it. My hair was already fine and not very thick, so I have really felt the loss of it. I go this weekend for a haircut and some damage control. I have no idea how much I will have to take off but I am dreading it. It’s really just a waiting game for it to come back, but as a woman, this was a little traumatic to deal with and I’m struggling.

For those of you who experienced this, how did you get through it?

I have no words of advice but mine started coming out about a week ago and while I knew it would happen it is unbearable hard, and I was shocked at the sheer amount coming out. I'm looking at some shorter cuts but I hate short hair on me, so I'm not going to go that short. I'm going to look into some clip-in human hair extensions too. Like you I already had thin hair, baby fine + PCOS thinning, and I was already using Vitamins and Nioxin, so there isn't anything else to try. It's from the anesthesia and shock of the surgery. It really sucks.

I use eye shadow for your scalp. I use Toppik. I use this sticky powder to volumize, hair products that thicken. And hair spray. LOL. And I take my Vitamins and get my Protein and pray. :) For tiny baby hairs.

What really helped stop my Hair loss and helped it regrow was I started taking powdered fish collagen every day in my Water. I also drank bamboo tea at least once a day and sometimes several times. Bamboo tea is rich in silica which helps the hair skin and nails. I tried Biotin and it did not help me, but I have read on here that others found it helpful.

My Hair loss was also awful but it did stop after about 6 weeks, obviously we are all different but try to take heart from that, it will end!

Also it is growing back but not as thick as it was unfortunately.

6 hours ago, glitter eyes said:

What really helped stop my Hair loss and helped it regrow was I started taking powdered fish collagen every day in my Water. I also drank bamboo tea at least once a day and sometimes several times. Bamboo tea is rich in silica which helps the hair skin and nails. I tried Biotin and it did not help me, but I have read on here that others found it helpful.

Can you throw some links up please? TY!

Ok, re: bamboo tea. You have to be careful of using this tea if you have or have had estrogen/progesterone positive breast or other hormone positive cancer. You also need to be careful of it if you are pregnant or are trying to get preggers. Bamboo tea is frequently adulterated by carnation plants (dianthus) which looks like young bamboo shoots. And those have an estrogen effect and a utero taxing effect.

:( Sad, cuz I would have tried it. But I stay away from phytoestrogens when known.

Here's a thread where I compiled some research on Telogen Effluvium

Take a look.

If there is nothing you can do internally, take a look at aesthetically pleasing half measures

images (2).jpeg

JA84721Z03_GDBLK_S_1_800x.jpg

Edited by GreenTealael

All I got was a black screen and pretty music.

23 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

All I got was a black screen and pretty music.

Reload your page and try again. I was in the middle of editing the post when you viewed it 🖤

Edited by GreenTealael

My hair was already extremely thin before surgery; I tried Biotin, I tried hair fibers, I tried everything. So when I started losing more, I took a leap and decided to go with hair toppers or "helper hair." I don't think they are terribly noticeable - I did fool a friend of mine who is totally honest with me about everything. Even if it is slightly noticeable, I would feel more self-conscious without it. And they make ones that are extremely natural, with dark colored roots. I actually love my hair now and how it looks on me - it's not too much hair, so it doesn't look garish. ! If you are interesting in trying this out, I suggest going to this site to get some advice: https://cornerofhopeandmane.com For me - fake hair, don't care.

So needed to read this right now. I was also already thinning with fine hair and the loss has started coming heavily. I tried to mentally prepare for this but I am getting a noticeable bald spot on the top of my head! I'm freaking out.

I just ordered Topik and am going to try Biotin. Hair toppers are next.

as long as I get enough Protein mine is good. My hair is really thick and curly so that helps. I hardly ever she dos I will notice immediately is it starts! *taking notes*

I was told pre surgery that it is common for hair to thin alot for the first 6 months until your system shock is becoming regulated. I was told to keep up on my Vitamins and Protein to help it. I have long and thick hair so it wasn't too noticable for others but I definitely noticed in the shower daily taking handfuls from the drain. Hang in there and mention it to your surgeon.