Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery 2/20/2019

Newbie here! Approved for VSG surgery on 2/20/2019 and feeling extremely anxious, nervous, scared. . . any words of encouragement or anybody else having surgery on the same day or near to it - I would love to keep in touch with you!

42 years old - female

5'7, 280 lbs.

Indianapolis, Indiana

Welcome to the boards.

I was in your shoes last week. I was nervous scared, my anxiety was pegged at high thinking would I fail at this too.
Then I had a reality check. I told meself. I want to change, I need a tool to help. I can handle this and I'm strong. I'm tired of being fat.

I had my surgery on 1/31/19. The pain was not bad except when sitting and standing using your abs.
I had no gas pain( thank god) and walk walk walk. It feels good to get out of bed.
My surgeon was funny, he said your not a sick person, dont lay in bed and act like your dying after surgery. So I took his advice and was move active.
The pain meds work well, and if you still have pain, tell your nurse, they will get ya something stronger.

You got this. You will be on the losers bench soon. You will start your pre op diet soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for this! I've never been so anxious in my life but I'm ready for a change! Pre-op diet starts tomorrow. . .

Thank you for this! I've never been so anxious in my life but I'm ready for a change! Pre-op diet starts tomorrow. . .
Which diet are you on? I was the no carb, high Protein diet. ( mostly just ate meat and cheese)

They want me doing 2 (30-gram) Protein Shakes and 1 light meal a day starting tomorrow. Plus 64 oz of Water.

Oh yeah forgot about the Water. Lol. Which is a big part of weigh loss surgery. We must not get dehydrated.
Im currently in the full liquids diet for 21 days...or 17 more days.. lol

Do you work - did you take time off work after surgery if you do?

I agree with other posters. Walk walk walk! I was fortunate to not have any pain after surgery. I walked every hour and a half. Up and down the hallways more times than i could count LOL.. Drink or rather SIP very slow and constantly post surgery. I had most of my liquid in by day 3 and by 5pm. I was non stop sipping all day long no matter where i was or what i was doing.

Hi, i too am having my Sleeve done on the 20th!! Im really excited about this & so far the Nerves aren't a problem! My advice would b to focus on all the great things u'll b able 2 do & how Fantastic u'll look...... My heaviest was 245 in Sept 2018 but through Swimming (osteoarthritis in hips) I'm @ 227 as of last week.. My goal is a reasonable 150 or a bit less, as I haven't been that in 20yrs!!!! 🤣 I would love to keep in touch as we go thru the same surgery on the same day! I just got on this forum a few minutes ago & Ur's was the first post I saw.

My date is February 19th. I had an EGD with Bravo done today. I also started my 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I am nervous, but I believe everything will be fine... nervousness and all LOL! I am looking forward to using this "tool" to lose some lbs. It's a lifestyle change that'll be worth a healthy living so I'm try a focus on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I'm having my my surgery Feb 13th. I'm already on the liquid diet and it is really hard. I'm really tired. I'm going back and forth if I want to do this. I know this will be good in the long run. Reading others comments helps. You are all very encouraging, I wish you the best.

My pre-op upper GI is tomorrow and the diet starts. I've really been indulging the last few days, hoping I can do a mind reset and get myself together! I do look forward to my "tool" to help change everything I've done wrong (related to food) for the last 20+ years! Thank you for your response by the way!

1 minute ago, Jump123 said:

Hi, I'm having my my surgery Feb 13th. I'm already on the liquid diet and it is really hard. I'm really tired. I'm going back and forth if I want to do this. I know this will be good in the long run. Reading others comments helps. You are all very encouraging, I wish you the best.

Maybe all the second-guessing is perfectly normal because I've been doing that too!! My clinic nurse said not to stress too much about the pre-op diet & just do the best I can. We can do this!! My bff had it done 10/2017 & says she would do it again in a heartbeat!! Just have to get past the first several weeks.

3 hours ago, Dollie Bettendorf said:

Hi, i too am having my Sleeve done on the 20th!! Im really excited about this & so far the Nerves aren't a problem! My advice would b to focus on all the great things u'll b able 2 do & how Fantastic u'll look...... My heaviest was 245 in Sept 2018 but through Swimming (osteoarthritis in hips) I'm @ 227 as of last week.. My goal is a reasonable 150 or a bit less, as I haven't been that in 20yrs!!!! 🤣 I would love to keep in touch as we go thru the same surgery on the same day! I just got on this forum a few minutes ago & Ur's was the first post I saw.

Thank you for your reply! I would love to keep in touch. Really struggling with anxiety, which is not the norm for me. Just want to close my eyes and wake up about 6 months ahead and 40lbs lighter 😉