Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me! I’m miserable.

I’m miserable!
Quickback: I had gastric sleeve in March 2018, I’m at my goal weight I lost over 48 kg about 105lbs. I’ve also never had reflux issues.

In November I developed a sore throat, which lead to laryngitis. I healed and felt great for a few weeks then the cough came back then went away and now it’s back! My doctor at first thought I was unlucky and it was a cold now he thinks it’s reflux which has developed into GERD. It sucks
-I have coughing fits which can be so bad I nearly vomit atleast 3-4 times a day
-I can’t sleep because I cough, I sleep sitting up now but still
have a horrible sleep
-gasicon or nexium haven’t helped
-I have no other symptoms (heart burn etc) so don’t know what triggers my cough. It just seems random.
-I’ve simply stopped eating at work as I don’t wanna do anything that would make it worse
-the only way to know for sure is to have a camera 📸 it down my throat but the procedure will cost me $500 despite having too hospital

I’m feeling so frustrated and stressed I don’t have $500 to pay for the procedure just to find out it’s a cold. Has anyone had a similar situation? Similar cough associated with GERD or reflux.

I had this issue for several months and a family member had it for over a year. Chronic cough that is not attributable to other ENT conditions is very typical of GERD. In my case, the only way to be sure was endoscopy with biopsy and brush samples sent for laboratory interpretation. This will also rule out more serious issues as well (Barrett's esophagus, neoplasm, etc.)

What about trying different GERD medications? In the past Rabeprazole (Aciphex) worked for me, but I was switched to Pantoprazole (Protonix) which has been much more effective.

I've learned something from your post! I had GERD for years and frequently had a cough when lying down at night and I'd keep cough drops on my nightstand. Now post-op I don't have GERD anymore and I had noticed that I haven't coughed at night anymore and haven't been using the cough drops. I didn't realize the two were related. Thanks for helping me realize that. You can take OTC Prilosec for GERD, which is just like the prescription Omeprazole.

Try opening the capsule of the omeprazole. My GI doc said we sometimes have trouble digesting the capsule. I take it in a spoon of applesauce (unsweetened). I take 40mg though. It made a big diff.

You really need the EGD cuz of so many things. They need to see if you have eosinophils in your esophagus or if you have an ulcer, inflammation, hernia, etc. If you have eosinophils there it could be something like eosinophilic asthma or eosinophilic GERD.

Totes worth $500.00.

Edited by FluffyChix

I have taken omeprazole for years so my doc doubled my does after surgery just to be safe. The cough is definitely indicative of GERD or any type of reflux. get some OTC to try. if it helps then get your doc to prescribe it for you if ins will cover, as long term it can get pricey!

Did you have a sleeve, or gastric bypass? Sometimes GERD can develop after the sleeve surgery. If it's not responding to PPI drugs (like Nexium), your surgeon might be inclined to convert you to gastric bypass. It's a pretty definitive treatment for GERD, since you don't have a pyloric sphincter in your stomach anymore.. the acid just can't build up in the pouch.

How much is your life and health worth? GERD is serious and can lead to all sorts of serious long term complications. You need to go for the tests

Thanks for your responses I think I’m just going to have to suck it up and have the test done. It’s so disappointing my sleeve was working so well for me and I had no complications and now this 😭