Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can’t figure out how much I should be eating

My surgeons manual for eating is very general and doesn’t say exactly how much of any one thing to have. How do you know how much to consume? Like I am about to start purées on Wednesday and everyone says how important it is to measure but I don’t know how much I should be eating. Right now I can very easily eat half a cup of bean Soup and barely feel full. I stop because I don’t want to overfill my pouch. I’ve actually Googled this subject and found no information. So how much of a puréed food can you consume at 2 weeks? Also Protein shakes... how much?? I have only had the Premier Protein in a bottle because I don’t know how much of anything I can consume if I am blending it from powder.

Hi, I'm 6 months post op bypass. It is going to be really tricky to figure out food volumes for a few reasons. Everyone's volumes differ, sometimes by quite a bit. Your ability to eat/drink volume-wise is still going to change day to day for a while. And it will greatly depend on what you are trying to eat. Some things you will have a lot of trouble with and some things will go down easily.

When you eat very liquid things they slide right through your pouch which is why you're able to eat so much more Soup than you expected. That is totally fine and it's great to find something you tolerate well to help get your Protein in. Consider adding unflavored Protein Powder to Soups if those work well for you. As for estimating volume amounts, just make sure you measure what you're about to eat/drink. Then keep track/log what you eat and drink; you'll start seeing trends in what you can tolerate and how much. But try to mostly worry about your protein intake and whatever parameters your team has given you.

This stuff can take time to figure out. I cried at my 3 month post op nutritionist appointment because I was so frustrated that I was having a hard time figuring out what I could eat and how much. I could eat the same thing 2 days in a row and either be fine or foaming up. But, now at 6 mo, I'm pretty good at estimating how much and what I can eat.

Be patient, you've got this! And there are hundreds of people here rooting for you and willing to listen to your rants when needed. ❤️

Purées should generally be half a cup or approx 125ml. Find a bowl that is the right size and put your food in that

Not to puree yet but good question. I was wondering this too. I have been saving empty apple sauce containers. I figure that's a good starting size for puree. Thoughts??

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app