Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Free Tea Triggering cravings??

So I am just over 5 months post op revision to Bypass and I am coming to a block/stall/halt..... whatever it may be in my weight loss. I only lost 2.6 lbs last month. I do great during the day but in the evening and night my cravings and hunger/head hunger are out of control, which makes me snack and crave sweets. But, I really think that the sugar free tea that I am drinking in the evenings is causing my cravings to be worse. I only have Water during the day, but after work and at night I drink this tea (which I have a bit of an addiction to) It is sugar free, calorie free, carb free, but when I drink it I seen to have really bad cravings for sweets and sometimes salty Snacks. I believe it has splenda in it.

I don't know if it is the time of day that is my issues or the tea triggering an issue. So lord help me I am going to go cold turkey. No tea for one week and see what happens. I dearly love my sugar free tea so I am a bit panicked but I have to get the scale moving again!!!!!

Yep..I am afraid this is me...

Fake sugars are engineered to taste even stronger than the real thing. “Artificial sweeteners are designed specifically to be exceedingly sweet, upwards of hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than table sugar,” says Julieanna Hever, a dietitian and author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition. In fact, the chemical blend that Splenda is made of is engineered to be 600 times sweeter than real sugar, according to The Sugar Association.

“Because of this, taste buds acclimate to a heightened threshold of sweetness, perpetuating sugar cravings, and making it exceedingly challenging to overcome sugar addiction,” Hever says.

And I have always sweetened things because I felt Life was bitter enough already. I may have to rethink things!

How about using a flavored tea bag without sweetener? I love the Celestial Seasoning Cinnamon Apple Spice combined with decaff unflavored green tea. 1 bag of each to a pot of brewed hot tea. Tastes great hot or cold.

Excellent Idea, Fluffy Chix, should have thought of it myself÷

20 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

How about using a flavored tea bag without sweetener? I love the Celestial Seasoning Cinnamon Apple Spice combined with decaff unflavored green tea. 1 bag of each to a pot of brewed hot tea. Tastes great hot or cold.

Sound good! I will give it a try. Thanks!

On a good note I made it through my first day without the tea. I drank plenty of Water and I survived just fine. I definitely think i could feel a difference. Craving and hunger where definitely less in the evening. I didn't have a crazed urge to snack, and I am down a pound this morning. May be a coincidence, I guess we will see how the rest of the week goes!