Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Range of pre-op diets!

Hey all, I’m just wondering why there is SO much variation from bariatric consultant to consultant when it comes to a pre-op diet. Practices vary massively from very strict, restrictive plans to no requirements whatsoever.

Does anyone know what side the research comes out on? Has anyone seen any research on post op experience based on differing pre-op regimes?

thanks in advance!

NH1

Probably you can divide into three parts 1/3 what their professors taught them, 1/3 what has worked before before in his or her practice, and the last 1/3 how much weight does this person need pared off before I cut slits in their belly? Yeah I'd like to see some survey results, my bari-pal Missouri- Lees Summit is an excellent researcher, either she or Alex Need her will know where to look!

Brecher, drat spell correct! if it were a person I'd choke the life out of it!

It’s a complete minefield! It seems that more & more consultants are asking for very little pre-op prep. I guess asking people with severe enough weight problems to elect for surgery to severely restrict their intake is futile & I imagine if research were conducted on how many acheive their pre-op regime in full the results would be quite telling & alot of people are having their surgery having not followed their LSD!

49 minutes ago, NH1 said:

why there is SO much variation from bariatric consultant to consultant when it comes to a pre-op diet. Practices vary massively from very strict, restrictive plans to no requirements whatsoever.

Be prepared, SO much variation on post-op diets as well. They vary massively from 500 calories until you get to goal to no restrictions at all.

I want to know what the long term success rates are.

Oh just bloody brilliant! I’m for VSG on wednesday & doing 48 hr fluids only. Then post op 2 weeks of fluids, 2 weeks thick liquid, 2 weeks mush...after that I’m at the dietician.

@NH1

Congrats on your surgery date. This is exciting, You will be on the other side of your sleeve and losing weight in days!

Sounds like the standard diet progression. 48 hour liquids to shrink the liver pre surgery. Liquids, puree,soft foods, as you heal from surgery. Then onto real foods. You can do this!

Thank you, @healthy_life I have been worried about such a short liver shrinking diet as some seem really extreme!

Here in Australia most people I've spoken to have been told to do min 2 weeks Optifast Protein Shake diet liquids only to make liver smaller but others have been told to do longer, depends I guess on starting weight, any weight you can take off before surgery is a bonus!

On 2/3/2019 at 4:31 PM, Healthy_life said:

Be prepared, SO much variation on post-op diets as well. They vary massively from 500 calories until you get to goal to no restrictions at all.

Yup, I just talked to my dietitian last night. She said don't worry about calories - just follow the diet and make sure I'm getting enough Protein and fluids.