Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery, ever eat food you shouldn’t?

For those of you who have lost a lot of weight...... After surgery while losing weight, did you ever eat food you shouldn’t? Like crackers, chips, sweets, carbs, etc...? Or were you very strict with following your doctors diet plan?

41 minutes ago, Bluebird_ said:

For those of you who have lost a lot of weight...... After surgery while losing weight, did you ever eat food you shouldn’t? Like crackers, chips, sweets, carbs, etc...? Or were you very strict with following your doctors diet plan?

To be strict or to be lax in this process is a personal choice. We are all adults and make are own food choices. The only one that has to be happy with your weight loss is you.

Maintaining : I indulge once in a while. If it causes weight gain, I go back to bariatric food plan to get the weight off. Weight loss mode: I was consistent not perfect. I had slips and got right back on plan.

We do have a cheats thread that shows you Yes, people eat foods that are off plan. I'm a bit conflicted about the thread.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/417492-confessional-lets-post-our-cheatsconfessionsetc-so-others-can-see-that-we-are-all-human/?tab=comments#comment-4667931

Things to think about in going off plan or indulging once in a while:

• Adding carbohydrates and sugar makes you crave them more. It takes time to detox and get back on plan
  • your first few months is your best weight loss. You also have your golden year. Weight loss is harder after your first year( still can be done)
  • Monitor if indulging is slowing your weight loss down. Will it make getting to your goal take more time?
  • WIll indulging become habit? Every weekend? Every month?
  • How solid are you in behavior change? Going off plan can be a slippery slope for some.
  • With the sleeve, you will get to a point that you noticeably can consume more food as your restriction becomes less.
  • What has made people successful 2 years + out

Edited by Healthy_life

so it has been 10 months since my surgery & i started out 254lbs & now weigh 170lbs & wear a size 10.i have had treat days all along & have lost weight all along.i work out 5 days a wk anywhere from a half hour to an hour and 15 mins on avg. i do cardio on one day & strength training on the next.i go out to eat about 2-6 times a month,i order whatever i want but can only eat a small amount.the rest of the time i eat pretty healthy & avg about 1,000 calories a day.i have personally learned to balance out my treat days & did not gain during the holidays despite all the baking & parties.im sure after the one yr mark i will have to always adjust my calories & workouts as it will get harder to maintain.i will never b hardcore & not allow myself treat days,for me its about living & balancing everything out & choosing a lifestyle that works for me & for longterm.everyone has to find what works for them.its great to read everyones experiences & advice & take pieces away that work for u & devise ur own plan.

Nothing is off limits to me on my plan, but if it's high in sugar or generally not good for you, then of course I am supposed to eat very little of that. :P

That being said, I am still on the soft foods phase of my plan, and a couple of days ago I tried a few of these lightly crunchy mini 'crepes' with goat cheese I got from Lidl. I chewed them up until they were mush and only ate like 5 or 6 of them (they are super TINY), and I've not had any issues, thankfully. I just really wanted to try them and see what they were like, so I only had a few.

I don't tend to stray towards the bad foods as much anymore as well, though I did have a craving for Kinder chocolate after seeing my hubby have a bite the other day. I asked for a literal lick from the chocolate, and that satisfied me just fine, lol. I can only eat just a few bites of anything as it is, so I just haven't really been inclined to eat anything junky/not-good-for-me since I'm already struggling to get in enough Protein as is. On top of that, I don't want to cause any complications with my stomach either.

My motto now going forward though is.. Eat healthy MOST of the time, but I won't deprive myself of occasional treats or naughty foods, or I know I will slip back into bad habits. When people tell me 'no', I naturally gravitate towards wanting to do the 'forbidden' thing I'm not supposed to do. :P

I'm just about 6 months post sleeve, weight loss 70 lbs incl pre surgery diet. Yes I've eaten unhealthy at different times, including having alcohol. But I know myself and if I completely remove unhealthy things then I will end up binging at some point and it may take a long time to get back on plan so I just stay mindful of my choices and most days I do eat healthy. Best of luck on your journey.

I actually ate solid food 3 days after surgery with no complications. About a week after surgery I had chicken and turkey. Went for my check up and they told me to go back to liquid diet for 4 more days........ whatever I did. Lost over 70 pounds in 7 weeks since surgery so far.

2 hours ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

All the time, hence why I am gaining again.

@Walter.Sobchak

i've watched your journey, you starting as a newbie -- going to success - now acknowledging you haven't always made the best choices/quantities

knowing the prob is half the solution - staying on this board is great for you (and OP) too, gets/keeps you motivated!! start to get back on board,

eat and drink right - you/I know what to do - you CAN/will be successful again!!

you lost 110 lbs total - the weight you put back on - done and over with. don't look back - only look forward, straight ahead. You can do it. You don't want a 20 lb regain to go up to 30, 40, 50 lb etc - nip it in the bud NOW!!!

i know you are aces, and you will be a success again!!☺️

my fingers and toes are crossed for you

good luck

kathy

On 2/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, Bluebird_ said:

After surgery while losing weight, did you ever eat food you shouldn’t?

@Bluebird_

NEVER EVER EVER!! 🤣

you are 3 months PO - in that time i know i didn't experiment with much/hardly anything. I was

"pretty " good, strict with myself! i had to be! By 1 year GOAL/maintenance - i had definitely strayed

a bit. if/when i fluctuated - i got back on board, and lost the few lbs i gained

my first 58 years of my life, i have been the "fat kid". These past years, i've looked and felt great!!

i still look like my "after" pic in my profile. (actually better!! LOL) i'm bad with posting pics with

computer - but i'll try and get a new pic up. Don't be scared of my eventual new pic - i am officially

i remember where i was and where i am now, can't and will never go back!!moral of my story

watch everything you eat/drink - be careful what you eat- bad things that taste great are around

each corner - beware!!! why/how have i stuck to eating right/quantities etc??

i am scared to death of becoming fat again!!!

been there, done that!!

7 years older- but i feel 7+++ years younger (still look as cute as a button!!) 105 lbs less

I am 5'3 tall, but i feel 6' tall!!

kathy

Not until about 5 weeks in... I ate 4 mcdonalds French fries...that is all I could hold. I also tried FRITOS, my very most favorite snack. no issues with either but have been being pretty strict

On 2/4/2019 at 12:07 PM, proudgrammy said:

@Walter.Sobchak

i've watched your journey, you starting as a newbie -- going to success - now acknowledging you haven't always made the best choices/quantities

knowing the prob is half the solution - staying on this board is great for you (and OP) too, gets/keeps you motivated!! start to get back on board,

eat and drink right - you/I know what to do - you CAN/will be successful again!!

you lost 110 lbs total - the weight you put back on - done and over with. don't look back - only look forward, straight ahead. You can do it. You don't want a 20 lb regain to go up to 30, 40, 50 lb etc - nip it in the bud NOW!!!

i know you are aces, and you will be a success again!!☺️

my fingers and toes are crossed for you

good luck

kathy

Thank you Kathy. It has really been difficult. The mental obsession for food has not left me by any means. If you recall my wife and I were sleeved together and we are trying to get back on track and make healthy choices. We are also trying to improve our eating habits for our kids health as well.

Edited by Walter.Sobchak

I would be lying if I said I have not had bad food since surgery. I try really hard to keep what I eat healthy, and I am still losing, but every now and then the urges get the better of me. I at least keep my portions small, so to me that is a plus. I am not condoning my actions by any means, but the way I see it at least I am not where I was at the start of this journey.

Absolutley not. I did self pay so first, I'm not wasting money on something that I'm not committed to 100%. Second, I've never been shy that I needed a TON of therapy as to why I ate the way I did. When I discovered the reason and worked on it my choices became clear. I eat for fuel. I don't eat for emotions or pleasure. If I start making those choices then I'm going to go back to where I was before. I didn't do this process to endulge, I did it because it was terrible where I was both physically and mentally. I am just over 6.5 months out and I have lost over 110lbs. I workout 6 days a week (various) and I eat clean and amazing and I've never loved life more.

So, I am 16 months post-op and yes, I do indulge in whatever I want to eat SOMETIMES. I think that is key. This is not a diet for me but a forever way of life now. With that said, I can't imagine never again having a slice of pizza, a cookie or glass of wine. I do, however, plan these things and make the meals before and after super strict, increase my Water intake and activity, etc. If I find cravings triggered, which they do, I get strict again. I do not find the occasional indulgence as much of a problem for me but the grazing. I have to constantly kick my own butt with that, although I graze mostly on fresh veggies or cold shrimp. It is still a bad habit that will derail my train. I think mentally planning for an occasional treat helps. I do not indulge just because someone brought a treat into the break room or something looks yummy in the check out isle.

I also do not bring left overs of an indulgence home or cook anything more than we will eat unless my husband swears to eat it immediately. Once is a treat, twice is a really bad choice for me.