Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my RnY on January 23rd. I was allowed to do soft foods on day 7 up to 3 servings consisting of 4-6 tablespoons or 2-3 oz per meal. I’m still having excruciating pain on my left side. I’m even moving around the house and avoiding bed until evening. My question is, I had my Protein Drink about 4:30 and then my supper about 7. Now my left side is unbearable!!!!! Do you think I overfilled my pouch too close together with Protein and supper? I don’t even want to think about my third round of Protein Shake later tonight!

I haven't had any pain on the left side. If I consume too much, I will feel discomfort below my sternum. I feel pain on the right side sometimes and that can be my gallbladder which is scary. The left side could just be gas moving out as food or shakes are consumed. All of the sensations are still new to me as well. I'm 7 weeks out.

I had my gastric sleeve on 24/01/19. I'm still on liquids. Can't start puree foods until week 3. I wouldn't be able to consume that much without some sort of pain. Perhaps you should try fluids only again. Hope you feel better soon.

Overfull for me was always a chest pain type feeling, like I swallowed a basketball. Has not happened in a long time.

Liquids, even thin Protein Shakes, pass through the pouch fairly quickly in normal circumstances.

You say you were still having pain on the left side. It is unclear to me if the pain was there and made worse by your eating or if the pain appeared after your two “meals”.

Hope you feel better either way.

It could just be gas. I eat my meals about 3 hours apart and I'm 8 weeks post-op and not having any problems with them being too close together.

I hope you feel better soon!

12 hours ago, Mjrteach said:

I had my RnY on January 23rd. I was allowed to do soft foods on day 7 up to 3 servings consisting of 4-6 tablespoons or 2-3 oz per meal. I’m still having excruciating pain on my left side. I’m even moving around the house and avoiding bed until evening. My question is, I had my Protein Drink about 4:30 and then my supper about 7. Now my left side is unbearable!!!!! Do you think I overfilled my pouch too close together with Protein and supper? I don’t even want to think about my third round of Protein Shake later tonight!

Have you had a very large, very satisfying poop? Chances are you are backed up...but you can never be sure in this situation. You are probably far enough out that surgical gas is not the cause, but your intestines are "whack" for a while. And can cause great pain and cramping. But that can also be from other surgical reasons too. :( Call your doc. Generally if you can eat and drink and keep things down and keep well hydrated and don't have to medicate with opiods to control the pain it's a normal thing for the biggest percentage of folks. But there are complications...

Thank you to everyone who replied to my quandary. My surgeon told me that I probably had a muscle hematoma because my bruising post op was substantially deeper than normal. It’s still sore, but I’m noticing easement of pain with eac day.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my quandary. My surgeon told me that I probably had a muscle hematoma because my bruising post op was substantially deeper than normal. It’s still sore, but I’m noticing easement of pain with eac day.