Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smooth Sailing for Anyone?

I had two trouble free surgeries. I think you’ll be just fine but everyone does adjust differently. The first time, i had the sleeve and i was totally fine. Ready to go back to work by day 5. I wouldn’t say i was in much pain or anything. I just felt a lot of gas pressure sitting on my chest. But that naturally went away by walking a ton the first few days. I had bad reflux so they did a revision 2 yrs later and honestly that felt like a nap. Except now i can eat like anyone else who has never had surgery.

You can’t control how much weight you lose. I was fine with being a size 8. I accidentally made it down to a 4 and i’m still constantly losing weight. I’m sure your dr and nutritionist team gave you dietary guidelines or phases to follow. Stick to that and find exercises you like that you can stick to and you’ll literally be just fine. I would say if you’re fortunate enough to not have any complications or other health issues, then your surgery won’t be a big deal. Just remember it is a tool, so it all depends on how you use it. Good luck. I’m sure you will be fine.

Also, fyi- the reason why you don’t see tons of complication free success stories is because we’re to busy enjoying our new lives to post all the time.

I had my surgery 12/12/18, and (as of now) I have not had any real complications. Everything has actually went quite well. The only issue I've really had is the incision where they removed my stomach was a little stubborn, and took quite a while to finally quit scabbing. Compared to what others have endured, however, I would consider that very minor. Minimal pain, and it has been quite easy bringing foods back into my diet. Certain foods are still not agreeing with me the best, but again - I would consider that both common and pretty minor.

I see you would have had your surgery yesterday - I hope everything went well! Best of luck in your journey!

Thank you

Yes I was supposed to have surgery just yesterday but they bumped it up so I am now two days out. I had it on Wednesday morning around 11 AM.

Day two was OK. Mild discomfort nothing to talk about really. I couldn’t urinate for the entire day but otherwise it was fine. Probably feeling OK from the anesthesia.

The second day I started getting really sharp pains in both shoulders and all through my abdomen which they did explain before surgery. Again , gas

Got kind of irritated with one of my nurses yesterday because she wasn’t giving me the prescribed medication. She was keep asking me to hold off on the pain medication to see if I really needed it. I’m getting Oxycodon every 4 hour and some Other pain medication (starting with the D) In between. She was just discouraging me from taking both of them, even though the doctor allowed for me to have them And I was asking for them on schedule not trying to double up.

This morning when I woke up I was in horrible pain with the gas. Finally that nurse went off shift and my doctor showed up and they adjusted my doses. Again all gas related I’m sure. However I am having difficulty swallowing. Just some pain when it’s going down into my stomach

and walking! Every‘s nurses I can have the gold star for walking. I literally walk all day long starting right after surgery. I like it before my back as well because if I sit in one place for a long time my back starts to hurt. So that has worked out well that I’m able to walk as much as I do. Wish that would hurry the gas along a little bit faster!

So far the journey has been pretty good and nothing out of the ordinary has happened. Only thing that kind of bothered me was when I first came into the hospital I had a nurse setting my IV. She asked me to weigh myself and I said “oh that’s good I’ve lost 10 pounds!” (Referring to the pro-op diet) Then she said are you sure you want to have the surgery? Look how much weight you lost in that short period of time. Have you ever tried dieting before? Did it not work out?

And here I am talking to a stranger who doesn’t know my medical history, trying to justify why I am having a surgery in an hour. I thought it was very unprofessional.

Otherwise everything’s been great, the staff has been great, the hospital is very clean and efficient! Just barely eating and today is the first time I’m having pain swallowing Water.

Congrats on your surgery!!! Good to hear all is going as planned. I got here late so not going to respond to the initial question but wanted to show support. It's gets better and easier. In our situation the only way to go is down!!!!