Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smooth Sailing for Anyone?

I had low BMI too, and just squeaked by the qualification through insurance with 36 and co-morbidities (cut off was 35 with co-morbidities, 40 with none). I'm also right at 5ft0. We'll lose slower than people with a higher BMI - we just have to realise that.

Pain, bloating, gas, Constipation, nausea - they're not really complications, just side effects of the surgery, and in the long term are pretty minor.

I had a breast reduction too about 5 years ago. Best thing I had ever done until I did this, LOL. Went from a 44H to a 38B. I hope to get to a 36B by losing some back fat. I'm hoping my boobs won;t change too much with the surgery because all the fat was already removed (6 lbs), leaving just breast tissue.

Why does everyone lose their hair and will it grow back? From what I'm reading I will be getting double the Protein (at least) than I eat now and more Vitamins too. I am so bad remembering to take any vitamins but after this it's life or death. I do take Probiotics because I have IBS. Not for Constipation either.

Anyway, maybe I'll be healthier. Or is it as said "You can't avoid the hair loss" I'm hoping to lose 80ish.... Fingers crossed for us both everythinganna

10 hours ago, gabrielle1 said:

Why does everyone lose their hair and will it grow back?

Some people lose some of their hair. Search for the term "telogen effluvium." This happens at 3 months up to a year, but seldom lasts for over 6 months. It can happen after any major stress or surgery, from a hormone imbalance, and low calorie intake, amongst other things. I'm at month 4 with no Hair loss.

I'm only about 5 months out, but I have had NO issues of any kind! I went through the surgery like nothing, was up and drinking Water just about immediately, went through the phases of food quickly and without incident.

I've told my surgeon that, if it wasn't for the restriction, I wouldn't think I had even had surgery. He calls me his superstar :) I only wish I had had it done sooner.

Just keep in mind that when you're dealing with something like this you will tend to hear more of the negative because people seek out answers and support. When it's going well for someone, they don't tend to be as vocal.

Yep! I keep thinking I can’t have had this be this “easy”. Other than my gallbladder emergency surgery at month 5 it’s been fairly straightforward. Follow the plan and tweak where it ya need to. Don’t get me wrong plenty of hard moments of figuring things out but not anywhere near some of the side effects you read about.

In fact when people start thinking about a sleeve and ask for my input I tell them I’m so far on the right side of the standard deviation that holding me up as normal is setting them selves up for heart ache.

Hi All!! I haven’t been on in a week or so and just seeing all these AWESOME comments!! Yes, I have already over bought many, many things. I have purchased enough broth to float a small watercraft ( I misunderstood how long I will be on clear liquids!) . My packing list for the hospital is outrageous. And I have a friend who is a paramedic who has acquired four IV Fluid bags for me and has volunteered to set an IV line for me at home after surgery ( because I’m scared of dehydration).

I’ve lost about a pound a day on the pre-op diet ( which made me second-guess why I was doing the surgery, but come on — who could sustain that kind of diet!). Nice to see some pre op weight dropping off though.

I was in the hospital for gallbladder surgery so I am definitely (over) prepared for my hospital stay. I am driving three hours away for the surgery (alone) and will be by myself so I’d rather have too much than not enough.

Here is a glimpse of my packing list (which is not inclusive of clothes, toiletries, etc.). Anytime I’m nervous about something I always overplan/overpack/over prepare!

Locking suitcase

Extension cord

Phone charger

Computer and charger

Pajama pants

Slippers

Socks

Heated blanket

Gas x thin strips

Compression type Capri pants

Soft bras

Bioteen mouth wash

Toddler spoon

Headphones

Pillow

Eye mask

Makeup face wipes

Tea bags

Hibiclense

Hair bands

Dial

Read that Hair loss is typically 5-15%, which I can live with. Something about how your “resting” hair falls out. I do hear Protein can offset this. I love my hair and hoping to keep it on my head!

Edited by Everythinganna

On 2/2/2019 at 10:14 AM, Everythinganna said:

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but have been researching for a while. I am scheduled to get the gastric sleeve week after next. I am a low BMI and self pay. Because of my low BMI and no other real health issues, I was not required to do the two week pre-op liquid diet nor the Endo. My health is generally good except for degenerative disc disease and back pain. I am 41 years old and hoping to lose about 60 pounds. I have already had my gallbladder removed. I do have insurance but it will not cover the procedure. I am reading all of these threads and have growing concern about complications. Being self-pay I know that any additional procedures will come out of my pocket. I would like to know — has anyone ever had a trouble-free surgery? Every post I read seems to talk about some sort of complication, pain, vomiting or other problems. Has anyone had a relatively easy sleeve procedure? Thanks!!!

It has been absolutely smooth sailing for me!

53 at time of surgery. Low BMI at surgery. Virtually pain free recovery. Was up and running errands with husb on day two. Tanning on day three! Hit what I thought was a fair goal very quickly. 26 pounds under goal now at 9 months out and feeling fabulous. Healthy. happy.

(The only hitch that occurred was that immediately after surgery I was completely intolerant to why. I had horrible diarrhea for 9 days and was back and forth to Doctors offices for testing until I was smart enough to ask for help here. The moment I did as suggested and switched from whey to plant based Protein Shakes, not another problem in my now 9 months of life with sleeve!!!)

I have not had any problems at all except Constipation and that is because I'm not getting all of my Water in. That in it's self is getting better. You will be glad you did this. Good luck in your journey.

10 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

26 pounds under goal now at 9 months out and feeling fabulous.

AMAZING!!!

👍👍👍

My surgery was in Mexico and I flew there and home alone. No complications and a 100 lb weight loss that I've maintained for the past eight years. I didn't tell anyone I was having surgery and today only my PCP knows that I did. I had GERD develop about 18 months after surgery but it's managed on a PPI.

I expect you'll do fine.

I was sleeved 11/6. While I had more pain initially than I had expected, it was very well managed and I was walking within an hour of being out of surgery. After the first few days, it's been nothing but smooth sailing for me (knock on wood!!). I've had zero complications other than constant Constipation (which was NOT an issue pre-surgery) but I take Miralax proactively now and it's managed. I've had no food intolerances or reflux or anything. Never got nauseous or threw up. It's all been great for me! Best of luck!