Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smooth Sailing for Anyone?

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but have been researching for a while. I am scheduled to get the gastric sleeve week after next. I am a low BMI and self pay. Because of my low BMI and no other real health issues, I was not required to do the two week pre-op liquid diet nor the Endo. My health is generally good except for degenerative disc disease and back pain. I am 41 years old and hoping to lose about 60 pounds. I have already had my gallbladder removed. I do have insurance but it will not cover the procedure. I am reading all of these threads and have growing concern about complications. Being self-pay I know that any additional procedures will come out of my pocket. I would like to know — has anyone ever had a trouble-free surgery? Every post I read seems to talk about some sort of complication, pain, vomiting or other problems. Has anyone had a relatively easy sleeve procedure? Thanks!!!

I was sleeved on 11/8 and have had zero complications. (knock on wood). The only thing I am dealing with is Constipation, but am now taking ducolax per my surgeon and so far this week it has been much better. Other than that. Nothing. I woke up from the anesthesia and not once used the pain meds in the hospital nor after discharge. I was up and walking same day. Had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. Once I was cleared for exercise right before Christmas, I went back to my ballroom dance classes and am now going to the gym. I will be 3 mo post op on Friday. I have not experienced Hair loss as of yet, but am expecting to have to deal with it as I hear it is unevitable, but will see what happens.

Jazzy thank you so much!!!! I am so relieved to hear you had a easy procedure and all went well. I am hoping for the same of course. Thank you for your comment- it has built my confidence!!

Hi,

My journey has been relatively easy. Yours may differ of course. I would focus on your particular surgeons results rather than a smattering of random complications you may never see.

Thank you Green! Reading all of this stuff has really got me in my head. My surgeon says because of my more or less good health I should really not have any problems. Thanks again for the encouragement!

20 minutes ago, Everythinganna said:

I would like to know — has anyone ever had a trouble-free surgery? Every post I read seems to talk about some sort of complication, pain, vomiting or other problems. Has anyone had a relatively easy sleeve procedure? Thanks!!!

Pain was managed with medications. I bounced back from surgery quickly. No complications.

Awesome! Thank you Healthy for sharing. This is making me feel MUCH better. I have been in the hospital twice before and both became extremely complicated situations. My hospital bill (8 day stay) for my gallbladder removal was $108,000. The other occasion I had to be life flighted out of state to give birth to twins. That bill was over $200,000. If something like that happens to me this time it would financially devastate me. Hopefully all goes well. I am in desperate need of a breast reduction and want to get off of pain meds for my back. I will keep thinking positive!!!!

I don’t have anybody locally here to talk to and my Dr is almost 3 hours away so I cannot participate in his support group. Again— I most definitely appreciate your feedback!

Talk with us any time.

There is a lot of information on this site. Goto the search box at the top of the page. Look up topics that your interested in. Ask us anything.

It isn't easy, and I did have pain, but it was very well managed with medication. I have had terrible Constipation, but as much as that sucks, it is a small price to lose as well as I have. Overall it has been easier than I anticipated, I was afraid of unbearable pain, starvation level hunger and vomiting, and I didn't have any of that. I am starting to lose my hair, and this has by far been the worst of it, and I'm extremely upset by it, but I have yet to see an after picture of anyone that has gone bald, so I am hoping it resolves soon. It's not easy but it's worth it.

Thank you Swanton! It’s amazing how a couple of positive comments can get a person back on track. Im feeling so much more excited now!!!

Yes, I am a little worried about the hair issue to and have looked at biotine(?). I haven’t started taking anything yet. Did you try any remedies for Hair loss?

Awesome! Thank you Healthy for sharing. This is making me feel MUCH better. I have been in the hospital twice before and both became extremely complicated situations. My hospital bill (8 day stay) for my gallbladder removal was $108,000. The other occasion I had to be life flighted out of state to give birth to twins. That bill was over $200,000. If something like that happens to me this time it would financially devastate me. Hopefully all goes well. I am in desperate need of a breast reduction and want to get off of pain meds for my back. I will keep thinking positive!!!!
WTF Health insurance company do you have that's making you foot such high med bills?

[emoji738]

No - sorry! I didn’t end up having to pay that balance but they did send me a copy of the bill. When I saw those numbers I was astonished. That’s what got me worrying about being self pay with complications for this procedure.

I’ve been seeing posts about people having sepsis and being hospitalized for months. Just basing off my past experience I’m thinking those cases would easily be hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am just getting to a place financially where something like that would totally destroy me. I’m trying to buy a house and I would definitely have to file bankruptcy If I racked up some huge self pay bill for a complication. Basically I’m thinking worst-case scenario. But you guys have helped me get some perspective.

Ok well any complications (if they happen at all) try going through your primary physician/emergent care (just keep surgeon looped in of course) so health insurance covers it. Play them smart.